The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
PracticeImpractical

Ready to do springs

Alright guys I made a post about lowering springs a while ago, and now have some cash thats burning a whole in my pocket so i would love some guidance on how to spend it. Its a 72 3 on the tree conversion with a 350. I bought it with the front springs cut (unevenly) and the rears heated and squished. I love its stance now but i want to drop it the right way. I would like to level the truck out with lowering springs and then possibly drop the front with spindles when i run into more cash. here is my rant of questions, and i appreciate the help in advance. Thanks guys

-to level out the truck am i correct in thinking I need to lower the rear about 2 more inches than the front to make it level?

- how low can i go with lowering springs with out cutting or changing too much else? I would like the truck about as low as it is now, the only problem is my headers are about 2 or 3 inches off the ground.

-Should i buy better shocks because of the lowering springs?

-What brand would you recommend and where should i buy them? i could spend upwards of 3 to 400 but i would rather not.

What else should i be asking and what else do i need to know?
Attached Images

PracticeImpractical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Ready to do springs

Within reason (and align-ability), you're maxed out with 3 inch front springs. Then, since you want it leveled, you'd need a 5 inch rear spring. Be advised that when you drop the rear down, you're going to need to invest in a super track bar and shock relocators. Just spend the money up front since when you go lower you'll still need these parts and they will work for your present drop as well as the future lower drop.

In the future when your money tree grows, add spindles to the front and you're going to be about as low as anybody with static drops. When you add spindles, install a lowering block in the rear to get it down another two inches. Since you'd be down 7 inches in the rear at that point, you'll want to add a C notch at that time also.

With that plan, you'd be running a 3/5 drop now, that rides well, handles properly, and will align without issues. Then in the future, you'd be a 5.5/7 drop and it would still align and ride well.

For shocks, spend the money. Early Classics sells nice KYB shocks in a kit for a good price. They will work with your spring drop as well as in the future when you drop it further.

I can't help you with the header clearance issue. I hate headers. They always seem to either burn plug wires, make plug access difficult, leak, or scrape the ground, sometimes, all of the above. Myself, I like very low trucks so I just run exhaust manifolds on all my stuff so I can tuck the exhaust up high under the truck. People can say what they want about the downsides to exhaust manifolds, but they can't say they don't fit, don't allow easy plug access, easy plug wire routing, or leak excessively.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticeImpractical View Post
Alright guys I made a post about lowering springs a while ago, and now have some cash thats burning a whole in my pocket so i would love some guidance on how to spend it. Its a 72 3 on the tree conversion with a 350. I bought it with the front springs cut (unevenly) and the rears heated and squished. I love its stance now but i want to drop it the right way. I would like to level the truck out with lowering springs and then possibly drop the front with spindles when i run into more cash. here is my rant of questions, and i appreciate the help in advance. Thanks guys

-to level out the truck am i correct in thinking I need to lower the rear about 2 more inches than the front to make it level?

- how low can i go with lowering springs with out cutting or changing too much else? I would like the truck about as low as it is now, the only problem is my headers are about 2 or 3 inches off the ground.

-Should i buy better shocks because of the lowering springs?

-What brand would you recommend and where should i buy them? i could spend upwards of 3 to 400 but i would rather not.

What else should i be asking and what else do i need to know?
I kind of like the way your truck sits now.....just my opinion.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Within reason (and align-ability), you're maxed out with 3 inch front springs. Then, since you want it leveled, you'd need a 5 inch rear spring. Be advised that when you drop the rear down, you're going to need to invest in a super track bar and shock relocators. Just spend the money up front since when you go lower you'll still need these parts and they will work for your present drop as well as the future lower drop.

In the future when your money tree grows, add spindles to the front and you're going to be about as low as anybody with static drops. When you add spindles, install a lowering block in the rear to get it down another two inches. Since you'd be down 7 inches in the rear at that point, you'll want to add a C notch at that time also.

With that plan, you'd be running a 3/5 drop now, that rides well, handles properly, and will align without issues. Then in the future, you'd be a 5.5/7 drop and it would still align and ride well.

For shocks, spend the money. Early Classics sells nice KYB shocks in a kit for a good price. They will work with your spring drop as well as in the future when you drop it further.

I can't help you with the header clearance issue. I hate headers. They always seem to either burn plug wires, make plug access difficult, leak, or scrape the ground, sometimes, all of the above. Myself, I like very low trucks so I just run exhaust manifolds on all my stuff so I can tuck the exhaust up high under the truck. People can say what they want about the downsides to exhaust manifolds, but they can't say they don't fit, don't allow easy plug access, easy plug wire routing, or leak excessively.

Minus the hate on headers----I agree with this. My truck had heated and sagged springs when I bought it......rode horrible. I replaced them with 2" drop springs from ECE and new Monroe shocks. Rides decent, but stiff, but the handling is soooooo much better. I also did poly bushings through the rear and on the front sway bar, then added a rear sway bar, but that's besides the point. I don't want mine any lower, and I like the rake.

But you should be able to do all 4 springs and shocks for about $600 if you do the labor. Springs are $114 a set at ECE, super track bar is $129, and Shock kit is $209. So before shipping that's $566. That gets you the 3/5 (which will be pretty close to level) and the ability to drop more when you can afford the spindles and c-notch.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
cdowns

r u going to run it with the old 40 year old ball joints and other front suspension pieces and hope they last another 40 years or update them while you are at it ??
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote