The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

Leaking Driveshaft Yoke: How hard to replace?

Well friends, it looks as if this has happened to me.
Leaking Driveshaft Yoke
Can I fix this myself, or should I Pay a shop to do it? Also, if I pay a shop, how much should I be charged? Thanks!
(This is BAD now, because my truck hasn't been on any sort of incline, and there's a PUDDLE under my truck!)
Old 07-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Heck no, don't pay someone to do it. It's easy as pie. The hardest part is taking out the driveshaft. Put a seal in the tailshaft housing too. Be sure to mark the drive shaft in relation the pinion yoke so you can put it back in the same place.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I did it. It was not difficult on my TH-350.

Get the parts from the dealer. After 3 trips to NAPA, I still had the wrong parts. The dealer got me everything in one trip, and I think it was less than $10.

If you have other seals to replace, you might consider just getting a complete seal kit. It is under $30 at NAPA or a tranny shop, and you get everything you could ever need.

Slonaker
Old 07-19-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
tazman

its not hard-if you have the tools first need to drop rear unvirsal joint- remove nut from yoke- yoke should slide out of rear end(note the word should- sometimes it is a little tough) then remove seal and replace with new-- check yoke to see if there is a hole in the center where the unvirsal joint fits- this is a pressure releif hole the is a O ring there sometimes is bad but not to often. then after you have replaced the seal (carefuly) then put it all back together. Should make a note BLOCK WHEELS AND SET BRAKE BEFORE REMOVEING DRIVESHAFT-- would hate for your truck to go some where without you-- especially if you are under it hope the helps have fun

Old 07-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #5
AirMale

I have the same problem with my Turbo-400(leaks through the weep hole). Is it the same fix? I just leave a drip tray under the tranny yoke....what a pain in the ass! One day I went over to a friends house(brand new) and pulled up his new driveway(angled upwards) and went inside for an hour and when I left he called me on my cell and told me that truck leaked tranny fluid all over his driveway. I was so embarassed. I've been driving with a quart low in the tranny cause it just spooges out anyway. Is it bad to silicone the weep hole closed?
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
84Stepper

Mine was leaking also, and with the help of Mike's site I replaced the o-ring just like he said to. I had to get the O-ring from a Chevy parts dealer, something like $3 and had it fixed in a couple of hours. Very easy! No more leak. Go for it.
and 1604 carb, 40 Series Flowmasters
dumped, and Western Chassis 3/5 drop w/ c notch. New 3:73 Eaton Posi
84Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:04 PM   #7
tazman

airmale-- you don't want to silcone the weep holeas it relieves pressuar inside the fix is the O ring -not really hard to do--more time than anything

Old 07-20-2003, 05:32 AM   #8
Mike76251

You need a "special" tool to hold the yoke while you remove the nut. Most people make their own. The nut can be a bear but a air impact usually gets it off.
You will also need a good inch-pound torque wrench......you need around 25in.pds. rotating force when you are done.
All and all pretty easy.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote