The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Anchorism

Possibly parting out

Im trying to get an idea of how much i could get for parting this truck out. I know its hard to estimate but im trying to get a ball park figure. The only parts not going would be the engine as it will be used in a different truck. Keep in mind that it will most likely get posted in the classified section this weekend if all goes well.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
520CheyenneK10

Re: Possibly parting out

What year and model is it? How much do you want for the headache rack?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Anchorism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520CheyenneK10 View Post
What year and model is it? How much do you want for the headache rack?
Its a 1979 chevy C30 camper special originally cheyenne model. As for the rack i will post prices when i actually post in classifieds.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
79 silverado
Account Suspended

I have to ask, I thought that was your grandfather's truck, why would you change your mind from fixing up to now part it out?

Having said that, tricky thing about parting out and parts in general is they can take a long time and a lot of space to store until you sell.

Just because a part is worth "x" it can take a long time to find the buyer local enough who is willing to pay it, especially in this fantastic economy we have these days... The quicker you want it gone, the less it brings...

Also, one problem is the local market to you and the population base to purchase said parts.

I cannot speak as to the interior of the truck because there are no pics, but the rear axle is not particularly valuable nor is the frame.

For the average enthusiasts building most of these body style trucks, the cab has lower value because of the roof lights, and the bed has lower value due to the dually flares... that said, find someone building a 4x4 or a tow rig and they may like those better.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Does it have the big sway bar?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
TheBlueBomber

Dibs on trim if it goes up...

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Anchorism

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 silverado View Post
I have to ask, I thought that was your grandfather's truck, why would you change your mind from fixing up to now part it out?

Having said that, tricky thing about parting out and parts in general is they can take a long time and a lot of space to store until you sell.

Just because a part is worth "x" it can take a long time to find the buyer local enough who is willing to pay it, especially in this fantastic economy we have these days... The quicker you want it gone, the less it brings...

Also, one problem is the local market to you and the population base to purchase said parts.

I cannot speak as to the interior of the truck because there are no pics, but the rear axle is not particularly valuable nor is the frame.

For the average enthusiasts building most of these body style trucks, the cab has lower value because of the roof lights, and the bed has lower value due to the dually flares... that said, find someone building a 4x4 or a tow rig and they may like those better.
As of now i am in the process of going to a quad cab as i have a growing family. I will be taking the block out of this rig putting it in the quad cab to have a 4 door truck. Also the quad cab doesnt need much to be a great daily driver.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Anchorism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
Does it have the big sway bar?
yes it does! Its a big honkin sway bar! Has surface rust so it needs to be re painted but its a fricken rediculous large sway bar. Ill try and take a pic of it today when i get home.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
TheChief

i would take a diver side dually fender if u do
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
79Betty

Why not just pull the motor and put in a cheap 305 to keep it running/ driving? Reason on asking is i read through your thread and i think it would have more sentimental value. That way even if it sits it's still yours. I have my great grandpa's 83 buick. Worth much? Hell naw. But everytime i drive it i rememer those times and it makes me smile... Rant over sorry.
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

you would prolly get twice to three times much as scrap but theres the hassle of boxing and shipping

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Oldriginal86

Sell the whole truck as is. It runs and drives. Worth much more than a pile of sheet metal. Should get enough to buy/build an engine for the quad.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
1774btcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorism View Post
As of now i am in the process of going to a quad cab as i have a growing family. I will be taking the block out of this rig putting it in the quad cab to have a 4 door truck. Also the quad cab doesnt need much to be a great daily driver.
I don't know the situation but I would never part one if mg grandfather's trucks if I owned owned one. We were really close though. He never hung onto anything long though and got a new truck every year. I know it is just a truck and some people are not as sentimental as I am.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
cool68

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldriginal86 View Post
sell the whole truck as is. It runs and drives. Worth much more than a pile of sheet metal. Should get enough to buy/build an engine for the quad.
**x2
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
chrisestes

if you part the truck out you might regret it later just keep it around as a project to work on slowly after you get the crew the way that you want
Old 01-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

as decent of truck as it is id sell whole also
Old 01-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Anchorism

At the moment I'm working on selling off projects to attempt to hold on to it. Any one interested in the propane system? If I hold on to it I will be running gas in it or diesel later on down the road. Its a full bolt on kit for a bbc or sbc. At the moment its fitted on a stock rochester 4 barrel. Heres a video of it running.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...18873861472467

Last edited by Anchorism; 01-18-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #18
tucsonjwt

I think if you go on the local Pull a Part website you can enter your information and get an estimate of what they will give you for the truck. Or, call some of the many ads listed in the Dandy Dime for scrap trucks - they say up to $400 but I think you can get more just off craigslist as is. I would try listing for $1000 on CL and see what happens. The dually fenders should sell right away if you part it out - I never saw an old dually around here without ripped up rear fenders.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im closing this thread its turning into a want to buy thread and a part out thread that is not supposed to be in this section. If you are selling parts please post in the appropriate section . Ton answer your original question, well that's been done

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Closed Thread