The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
White70C20

New battery..... dead?

Hey all,
A few days before I went home for Christmas, the battery in my green 1970 C20 died, so I replaced it. Then about three days later I parked it at my uncle's farm for a month while I went back home. When I came back to Kansas it started right up. I didn't have any problems, until yesterday. When I started it yesterday afternoon I noticed it took a little longer than usual to start, but didn't think too much of it. Then when I was leaving the auto parts store it really took a bit to crank it over. When I got back, I shut it off and tried to restart it. It cranked very slowly for about three to four revs and then just clicked. It did that every time I tried for about 10 min. afterwards. I gave up and called it a day.

Sorry for the long post, anyone got any ideas? I really need to get this fixed because I'm trying to sell the truck. Thanks.

1970 Blue C20 - 250, 4 speed
1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
White70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Carl Spangler

Re: New battery..... dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White70C20 View Post
Hey all,
A few days before I went home for Christmas, the battery in my green 1970 C20 died, so I replaced it. Then about three days later I parked it at my uncle's farm for a month while I went back home. When I came back to Kansas it started right up. I didn't have any problems, until yesterday. When I started it yesterday afternoon I noticed it took a little longer than usual to start, but didn't think too much of it. Then when I was leaving the auto parts store it really took a bit to crank it over. When I got back, I shut it off and tried to restart it. It cranked very slowly for about three to four revs and then just clicked. It did that every time I tried for about 10 min. afterwards. I gave up and called it a day.

Sorry for the long post, anyone got any ideas? I really need to get this fixed because I'm trying to sell the truck. Thanks.
Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. If you have a DVM you can quickly diagnose if that's the case.

JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
White70C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
Sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery. If you have a DVM you can quickly diagnose if that's the case.

JohnG
That could be. Unfortunately I don't have a DVM.

1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
truckster

I'd buy or borrow a voltmeter. You should be getting in the neighborhood of 14 volts when the truck is running.

Even a cheap Harbor Freight multimeter can be very useful for working on your truck and lots of other things.

You could also pull your alternator and take it to have it tested for free at almost any auto parts store.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
cdowns

i'd take the battery cables off clean them up real good and where they mount put some dielectric grease on them and reinstall them
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
kcsa75

It's also probably worthwhile to have the battery checked to make sure you didn't get a lemon.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you have not converted to an internally regulated alternator you should suspect the external regulator as well.

Here is the diagram of the system.

Name:  GM_external_reg_alternator_wiring.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  46.5 KB

Check the brown wire on the regulator at terminal 4 for 12 volts with the key on.
Check the red wire at the regulator on terminal 3 with the key on or off for 12 volts.
Check for 12 volts at the white wire on the alternator plug with the key on.
Check for 12 volts at the blue wire on the alternator plug with the key on or off.
Check for a good ground between the external regulator and the radiator support.
Check for a good ground between the regulator and the alternator.

Name:  1964--66 chevy truck help pictures 018.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  Reg.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  39.4 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
'68 Short Step

I had the same problem with charging after I replaced my alternator. It was a wire connector that was worn from being bent to many times. Check all wiring and connectors for good contact and no frayed wires.
'68 Short Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
White70C20

Hi all,
I'm still having the battery draining issue. I took the battery and alternator in to have them tested - both are good. So, that leads me to my question: what are some of the things that could be draining the battery? I've had this truck since October 2012 and it was fine up until last Saturday.

I did install a set of LED taillight bulbs in the truck a couple days before the battery died last week. It required a new flasher relay which was included in the kit.

I was also working on replacing the steering wheel and the horn kept sticking so I disconnected the wires running to what I assumed to be the horn relay. After putting the old steering wheel back on, I connected the wires again.

I was wondering if maybe one of these two things could've caused a drain on the battery. I'm not sure why they would, but it's worth a try. If any of you have any more suggestions please let me know. I'm trying to decide whether or not to sell this truck, and if I can't find the source of the problem that in itself might be enough to persuade me to sell it. Thanks!

1985 Ford Thunderbird
2005 Pontiac G6
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
kray59

Cool Re: New battery..... dead?

i had a simular issue . turned out to mbe voltage regulator .

Beware the man who only owns 1 rifle , he probably knows how to use it.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White70C20 View Post
Hi all,
I'm still having the battery draining issue. I took the battery and alternator in to have them tested - both are good. So, that leads me to my question: what are some of the things that could be draining the battery? I've had this truck since October 2012 and it was fine up until last Saturday.

I did install a set of LED taillight bulbs in the truck a couple days before the battery died last week. It required a new flasher relay which was included in the kit.

I was also working on replacing the steering wheel and the horn kept sticking so I disconnected the wires running to what I assumed to be the horn relay. After putting the old steering wheel back on, I connected the wires again.

I was wondering if maybe one of these two things could've caused a drain on the battery. I'm not sure why they would, but it's worth a try. If any of you have any more suggestions please let me know. I'm trying to decide whether or not to sell this truck, and if I can't find the source of the problem that in itself might be enough to persuade me to sell it. Thanks!
With the ignition switch off: put an ammeter between the battery negative terminal and ground cable to verify the suspected current drain.

If there is current flowing then you need to inspect/retrace your wiring mods to isolate the cause of the current drain.

good luck!
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Here is a quick way to find out if you have something drawing off your battery. With a charged battery and key switch off along with any other accessories, disconnect the ground and then touch the ground cable to the ground post and if you see some minor sparks you have current going somwhere. Now the problem is finding out from what. Now that you said you worked with your lights and horn that is the first two places to start.
now if you have a radio or clock with constant power to them for memory you will see sparks also. But the bigger the spark the bigger the draw is.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote