The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
gag1025

Windshield Rubber

I have ordered two sets of windshield rubber and they both want to gap open at the lower outside corners. I have also talked to a lot of people who have had the same problem. They just do not fit as well as the originals. Among the people I have talked to I also asked what company they bought theirs from and I think we have pretty much covered all of the vendors. I have yet to see one that fits like the factory ones. Anyone else have that problem? If you did not, my frist question is where did you get yours. I would like to find one that fits the way it should before I put the windshield in for hopefully the final time.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Highsider

Re: Windshield Rubber

Gap at the top corners?
Against the glass, or the body?

I bought Steele brand, but it will be a while before mine gets installed. (I told them to work on mine when the shop rate is at its lowest)

Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
gag1025

No, they all seem to fit fine at the other 3 corners except for the lower outside corner. This corner slopes down from the inside toward the outside. The gap is out away from the glass. I am fortunate in that all the work has been done by me and a friend of mine (who has built several hot rods. He had a '53 5 window Chevy truck and the deal is I help him when we finish mine). We did get the body work done as well as painted by another freind who is that business. WE also had bed liner sprayed inside and under the cab and well as inside the fenders (inner and outer) and under the running boards.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
I have ordered two sets of windshield rubber and they both want to gap open at the lower outside corners. I have also talked to a lot of people who have had the same problem. They just do not fit as well as the originals. Among the people I have talked to I also asked what company they bought theirs from and I think we have pretty much covered all of the vendors. I have yet to see one that fits like the factory ones. Anyone else have that problem? If you did not, my frist question is where did you get yours. I would like to find one that fits the way it should before I put the windshield in for hopefully the final time.
Yep, have the same issue. lower corners by the outer cowl seems to have a lip that doesn't want to stay as tight to the glass as I would like. of all the 55-59s that I have seen at shows only one had the rubber tight to the glass in that area. The window is sealed so I figured I would just live with it
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
gag1025

This months issue (February) of Custom Classic Trucks has an article on page 34 about a '53 Chevy truck built by a young man, Austin Parker, and his front windshield rubber fits perfect. I am going to call the magazine tomorrow (they are closed today) and see if I can get in touch with the guy who wrote the article and hopefully he can put me in touch with Austin Parker so that I can ask him where his windshield rubber came from.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
_Ogre

it would help a lot if you put your truck year in your signature. i think gag has a 53, everyone replying is talking task force.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
gag1025

It is a '53 Chevy truck. When it is finished I will use a picture of it as my avatar.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
gag1025

I just saw my Feb. edition of Custom Classic Trucks. On page 34 there is a story of a '53 Chevy truck. The picture shows the front windshield rubber laying down flat as it is suppose to. I called the number listed for the editorial office 949-705-3100 to inquire about speaking to Phil Swarttze (he wrote the article) and was transferred to another assistant editor's voice mail. I left a message telling him that I would like to either get the phone number or email address for Austin Parker (truck owner) and also asked if he would replay my information to him and left my phone no. No return call. I went to their web site and sent an email to another editor asking the same thing and never got a return email. All I wanted to do is ask him where he got the windshield rubber so that I could order one from them. I wish that they would be more receptive. It makes me say to hell with them and the next time I am sent a notice to renew my subscription I will simply do as they do which would be to not reply.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
lazypineapple

Yup I had the same issue with the windshield rubber on my 52. My first seal I got from Classic parts . With the Stainless Trim. Bad wrinkle in 1 corner, then after a few months the other corner opened up. And LEAKED in corners and middle. After 8 months.
I switched to Soffseal, no Trim this time.
Soffseal is 10x better product, Nice quality rubber. I use butyl rubber sealer around Pinch weld and around Glass . Only leak a little :-) , but the seal looks great !
lazypineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
gag1025

We put the windshield in today (SS trim), and could not believe that both lower corners fit like a glove. The only issue is the top corner on the passenger side does not go all the way over the corner. It looks like there is a slight defect on that corner in that this corner looks a little wider thatn the other corner. My friend (who is in the auto glass business) put it in for me and said the 1/16" may fill in after the glass has been in for a while and the rubber relaxes. Someone else also suggested using a hair dryer on the lowest setting and run it up and down the side and across the top on the passenger side and it may fill in the small gap. I will give it a while and report back. I was thrilled that the lower corners fit so well. Actually mine came from Classic Parts.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
gag1025

I will take some photos and attach them on Sat.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
jackson

what about the steele windshield rubber
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

I purchased rubber from Classic Parts, fit very nicely. I had a local glass shop seal it for me, stayed dry as a bone during a week long stretch of rain a couple months ago.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #14
gag1025

Jackson, Steel Rubber Company makes great products from what I have heard.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #15
gag1025

Bryan, did they put any type of sealer inside the rubber? I had a friend who is in the auto glass replacement business put mine in and he said that if it leaked it would leak at the top center and to use silicon and run a bead across the entire top of the rubber as well as in the center on the inside (because silicon would seal as well as protect the rubber). In other words if something ever happened to the glass the seal could be re-used because silicon would just peel off.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Bryan, did they put any type of sealer inside the rubber? I had a friend who is in the auto glass replacement business put mine in and he said that if it leaked it would leak at the top center and to use silicon and run a bead across the entire top of the rubber as well as in the center on the inside (because silicon would seal as well as protect the rubber). In other words if something ever happened to the glass the seal could be re-used because silicon would just peel off.
My guy basically ran sealer around the outside of the windshield opening between the cab and rubber. He also added sealer between the glass and rubber around what I call the inside outer portion. It's tight, not a drop of water gets inside the glass. I previously tried silicon on LMC rubber with zero success. That failure could be blamed on me, but the LMC rubber was horrible compared to rubber from Classic.

I figure as cheap as the rubber seals are from Classic I'd never reuse one anyway.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
gag1025

Bryan, can you find out what sealer he used. You are correct about the cost.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Bryan, can you find out what sealer he used. You are correct about the cost.
I'll try and find out but it could be a while. The shop's calls go through an 800 number and I wouldn't be able to get to the shop before my next vacation, April.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
gag1025

Thanks Bryan.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #20
gag1025

I have finally taken photos of my truck windshield rubber issues. The issue with the lower corner gaps did not occur. The passenger side upper corner is an issue and I have no idea how to correct the problem. I have seen this same problem on a lot of trucks. Apparently this was a manufacturing flaw. Had I know about it before I had all the body work and painting done I could have built up that curved area. I have heated and pulled and pulled and pulled some more, and I did get the gap down to 1/16" but would like the rubber to cover the entire gap. Other than taking the glass back out are there any suggestions? The upper driver side is perfect and the center trim holes line up perfectly. A friend suggested to let it sit out in the sun and run a bead of liquid soap across the windshield down in the rubber (on the inside and outside of the windshield) and use a glass suction devise inside and out and see if it will pull toward the outside enough to stretch the rubber to cover the gap. It looks like to me that once the glass is set it would be difficult to move it any. But it is worth a try. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Highsider

Thanks for the photos and update.
Any day the shop will be assembling my glass, now that the painting is done.
I am on pins and needles, waiting for the outcome.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
hotrod1
56 - autocross

You wonder if you built up those corners (with steel) when the truck was still in the body work stage if it would make any difference? Has anyone out there tried this?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #23
Highsider

For me, conclusive evidence for massaging the window frame edges, just came to light in this thread, so no.
I spent extra (3X) for Steele Brand rubber, hoping for the best.

EDIT: and I keep forgetting everyone is talking about an AD truck, NOT a TF, like mine! Sheesh!

Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck

Last edited by Highsider; 02-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #24
OrrieG

I have been holding back for the AD guys to weigh in but it looks like the trim is centered in the rubber at the offending corner so moving the rubber to cover will be difficult, if even possible. If you have enough overlap at the opposite side you might be able to move the whole glass/rubber/trim over, but looking at the bottom photos that may not work.

Maybe someone can measure a manf. that is different than yours to see if it is wider or has more overlap at the place. If not decision is to modify the frame opening, or carefully install some sealant in to close the gap. I know that will bug you and maybe a few guys here, but with a darker paing 99 percent of people will not notice.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #25
Highsider

Got a few photos and I asked about the Steele Rubber seals for my w/s and back glass.

Me- Since I bought the expensive rubber how is it working for the windshield?
Easy to use? Pain in the butt?

"THEY FIT GOOD."

Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck