The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Sean C

Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??

Hey all. So I went to move my truck out of my brother's garage today and ran into some fun (ha). Long story short, he drove her last and thought he filled her up because the neck on the tank is a little short so it occasionally stops the gas flow from the pump early.

I pulled her out and parked diagonally in the driveway, since I was letting her warm up a bit, and after a couple minutes she died. I thought it was just the cold and turned the key. She sounded like she wanted to turn over and like she was about too, then it sounded a little strange, so I backed off. Tried the key one more time when it occurred to me that the truck was out of gas. I put a couple gallons in from my brother's garage and tried again, but to no avail.

I've never ran out of gas in any of the cars I've driven so this was a first for me. I've heard that it's fairly easy to burn out a mechanical fuel pump and am afraid I did just that.

What should I do to properly attempt to start the truck after I get some more gas in her?

What should I do in the event the fuel pump is spent? (obviously replace it, but is there anything special I need to know?)

I'd really appreciate help on this. I've got to get my truck out of my brother's driveway haha.

Thanks,

Sean
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
63burban4x4

Re: Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??

Your post is a little unclear.....are you saying your brother filled the tank? if so, then perhaps your fuel pump HAS failed. If, however, you think that it actually ran out of gas, and if it's the original type pump (mounted on the motor) these pumps need to "pull" fuel from the tank. (If the truck has been updated to an in- the- tank electric pump, these "push" the fuel to the motor)
if it is the old style mechanical pump with a carburetor, and did run out, then the entire fuel line and carburetor bowl was emptied out. Sometimes these pumps need a little extra help to fill everything again, if it were me, I'd remove the air filter,look in the carb and actuate the throttle linkage. If you see a squirt of gas, then you are not out of gas. If not, then put a couple of tablespoons worth of fuel down the carb throat, and try to start it. If the motor fires immediately, (it may run only a second and run out again) then you can repeat that process, once the motor fires it will run that mechanical pump a little faster (they run off the camshaft speed) and pull more fuel up. If this does not work after 2 or 3 tries, then you may have a bad pump anyway. You don't want to overdo it with this priming, the fuel you put in top of the carb is going directly into the intake and you can flood the motor, you may foul the plugs. Also, don't be having your face directly over the carb, if the truck backfires you will lose your eyebrows and lashes! If the truck did run out, you may want to go ahead and change the fuel filter, especially if there's a chance the tank has rust or old junk in it.

Last edited by 63burban4x4; 01-21-2014 at 10:53 AM.
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I agree with 63burban4X4, I have had similar issues with mine. But it wasn't a fuel issue it was a carb float issue. The float kept getting stuck causing the motor to run for about 30 seconds then it would die. I am sure you don't have this issue. While you have the fuel line off I would do a dual filter system...one behind the pump and one in front before the carb. I did this with my truck. I also installed a new tank and replaced the fuel lines. One filter is right under the cab just before the electric pump, and one is just before my carb. I've tested my fuel several times and it is clear as glass. No deposits that the eye can see. I would consider looking on the inside of you tank with a flashlight as well. Pull the sending unit out and check that, but stick a light in the hole and see if your tank is rusty on the bottom an sides.....also you might consider flushing your lines out. I'd also put a new pump on the list as well.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??

You said,
"I've never ran out of gas in any of the cars I've driven so this was a first for me. I've heard that it's fairly easy to burn out a mechanical fuel pump and am afraid I did just that." So let's answer your question in your title, "Re: Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??".
Sounds as if you're confusing mechanical pumps with electric ones. It is the electric pump that is easy to burn out when you run out of gas; the reason is due to the lack of cooling that the fuel provides: thus, burned electronics while attempting to pump when dry! Mechanical pumps are not nearly so susceptible, and can sustain multiple instances of running out without harm to the pump. So, no, you likely did NOT fry your mech. fuel pump.

I think your other queries have already been properly addressed, and good luck and enjoyment working out the kink(s). HTH.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Sean C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban4x4 View Post
Your post is a little unclear.....
Sorry for the lack of clarity. He did not fill the tank, is what I realized. I haven't had a chance to go to take off the air filter and check the carb, but I will as soon as I'm back in Omaha! Thanks so much for the help! I'll post back when I get some time to get to Omaha (I go to school in Lincoln). I'll keep my face at a safe distance!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Sean C

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
You said,
"I've never ran out of gas in any of the cars I've driven so this was a first for me. I've heard that it's fairly easy to burn out a mechanical fuel pump and am afraid I did just that." So let's answer your question in your title, "Re: Did I Fry My Fuel Pump??".
Sounds as if you're confusing mechanical pumps with electric ones. It is the electric pump that is easy to burn out when you run out of gas; the reason is due to the lack of cooling that the fuel provides: thus, burned electronics while attempting to pump when dry! Mechanical pumps are not nearly so susceptible, and can sustain multiple instances of running out without harm to the pump. So, no, you likely did NOT fry your mech. fuel pump.

I think your other queries have already been properly addressed, and good luck and enjoyment working out the kink(s). HTH.
Sam

My bad! I'm still learning all of this wonderful information and I appreciate your clarification. Cheers!

Sean
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
neal 66

yep,if it ran out it will take a bit to pump all the way up the line and fill float bowl if only by cranking engine.as mentioned I would put a SMALL amount of fuel in carb so engine will start for few seconds and run pump faster. all I ever do is back off air cleaner wing nut and use air vent end of fuel can to put some on air cleaner lid.engine will draw that in and no fear of loosing eye brows.
neal 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Sean C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban4x4 View Post
Sometimes these pumps need a little extra help to fill everything again, if it were me, I'd remove the air filter,look in the carb and actuate the throttle linkage. If you see a squirt of gas, then you are not out of gas. If not, then put a couple of tablespoons worth of fuel down the carb throat, and try to start it. If the motor fires immediately, (it may run only a second and run out again) then you can repeat that process, once the motor fires it will run that mechanical pump a little faster (they run off the camshaft speed) and pull more fuel up. If this does not work after 2 or 3 tries, then you may have a bad pump anyway. You don't want to overdo it with this priming, the fuel you put in top of the carb is going directly into the intake and you can flood the motor, you may foul the plugs. Also, don't be having your face directly over the carb, if the truck backfires you will lose your eyebrows and lashes! If the truck did run out, you may want to go ahead and change the fuel filter, especially if there's a chance the tank has rust or old junk in it.
Followed these steps and got the pump runnin' again! Put a couple of gallons in the tank and went filled her up. Thanks for the help! Now she's sitting safely in the garage instead of out in the cold

PS Eyebrows and lashes still on my face haha