The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Anyone in Waco, TX area paint and want to teach?

I would really love to learn to paint. I have read many books, done lots of research, ordered the paintucation DVDs and watched all of them... But, still I feel a little nervous about spraying my own paint and messing it all up. (Not exactly a cheap thing to mess up)...

So, is there anyone near Waco or anywhere in TX that is willing to teach me how to paint. I will do all of the work just need the experience and the help along the way...
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Anyone in Waco, TX area paint and want to teach?

im going to leave this here but might I suggest that you wait a day or so and if no response post in body and fender section and lastly in the texas section that is right for your area

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Will do, I was trying to decide where the best place to post this was. If you want to move it, please be my guest! I appreciate the help!
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Edahall

I live in Texas but too bad I'm so far from you. Here's my Suburban that I painted myself several years ago.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520550

Do you have good equipment? What kind of spray gun you got? You need good air source and even more so if you're using a cheaper gun. You need a compressor that can easily keep up with your gun going full tilt. 3 hp is minimum. Another tip, buy a digital air regulator so you can precisely dial in the correct pressure at the gun.

Before painting your truck, I would suggest that you spray an old refrigerator or something like this to get your technique down. Spraying the clear is going to be the most challenging.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
I live in Texas but too bad I'm so far from you. Here's my Suburban that I painted myself several years ago.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=520550

Do you have good equipment? What kind of spray gun you got? You need good air source and even more so if you're using a cheaper gun. You need a compressor that can easily keep up with your gun going full tilt. 3 hp is minimum. Another tip, buy a digital air regulator so you can precisely dial in the correct pressure at the gun.

Before painting your truck, I would suggest that you spray an old refrigerator or something like this to get your technique down. Spraying the clear is going to be the most challenging.
Very good advice. I learned @ my local community college.
Well.... I learned enough to know how difficult it can be to get it right (which taught me what shops to avoid ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you just want to get the hang of spraying something, get a cheap HF gun and some tractor/implement paint. Find some old metal to paint, and go to town. A setup of paint from Tractor Supply (or similar) should be under $100, and you really don't need the hardener. I know it is about $50 for a gallon of paint. Likewise, you can paint your frame to get your technique down a bit and kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

For practice, get a trigger handle for a spray gun and practice the stroke. If you can keep the gun level over different surfaces (not lifting at the front and back of your stroke) and work on your overlap, you are half way there. Setting the gun up takes a little finesse, but it isn't terribly hard. You want a nice fan pattern, and try to do a 40-50% overlap. Once you have the gun in your hand, a lot of what you have read/seen will make more sense in an instant.

Also, like Scoti mentioned, taking a body class at a CC will let you learn a ton. The one I attended was run by a body shop manager that would let us shoot cars at his shop (within reason). I had started prepping cars long before taking the class, and have been in the industry my whole working life. I took the class as an easy A, but did get to work on my own projects at the school shop (I rebuilt a theft totaled Mustang GT to use as a driver....).