The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Circuit Rider

Need Advice ASAP!

Hey guys, I'm putting the 87' 454 back together and am just about ready to put the intake back on but I have a question. The Felpro gasket kit came with a "restricted center port gasket" to be put on the right cylinder head but there wasn't one in the old gasket that was removed so what gives? Do I install it or not? There is nothing included in the instructions about being model specific and what is the purpose of this little metal gasket that restricts. Sorry to be asking but I did a search on this subject but came up with very limited information. Thanks guys!
Circuit Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
deth_1970

Re: Need Advice ASAP!

i know small blocks, and on them it is for the cross over port to heat the intake, the intake kits come with metal restrictors , also part of the EGR system, I am inclined to think it is along the same lines,
I don't see why not using it, heat would still get up from the left side, and the EGR system should work, with that said I know small blocks, so maybe someone with BBc experience could elaborate
02 Gmc sierra
deth_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
68post

It is exactly to restrict the amount of extremely hot exhaust passing through the intake under the TBI/or carb. For NC you can use it with no problem, you can block it completely and only suffer a little longer warm-up time during your winter.

Less heat under the intake = a cooler charge into the cylinders and better octane tolerance after the engine is at full temp.

For a good street hot rod you'd defiantly block it off completely if drivability isn't a concern until reaching operating temp.

Under carb full heat is for us "snowbirds" !
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
68post

It is common to completely eliminate all the internal crossover exhaust ports in both heads and it almost always helps gain horsepower and torque - but may/or may not hurt emissions and perhaps mileage.
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
bigd65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68post View Post
It is exactly to restrict the amount of extremely hot exhaust passing through the intake under the TBI/or carb. For NC you can use it with no problem, you can block it completely and only suffer a little longer warm-up time during your winter.

Less heat under the intake = a cooler charge into the cylinders and better octane tolerance after the engine is at full temp.

For a good street hot rod you'd defiantly block it off completely if drivability isn't a concern until reaching operating temp.

Under carb full heat is for us "snowbirds" !
Exactly what he said, in fact if you get an after market performance intake, the cross over tube will not be there....in Texas , my 87 qualifys for ANTIQUE LICENSE PLATES so I don't have to get it inspected or register it but every 5 years.... Draw back is can't be driven daily, of course I don't , it's just a TOY ( THERAPY ).... Anyway, When I get to it! may even eliminate the EGR, I did on my 85 when I built it
Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Circuit Rider

Thanks guys, I'm putting the intake on today and glad ya'll cleared this up for me. Good to have an awesome resource like this site to get answers to the things that aren't perfectly clear.
Circuit Rider is offline   Reply With Quote