The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
Budman56

Bench testing my 64 gauge cluster

I need help testing my gauge cluster, I would like to know how to test my;

1) gas gauge;

2) temp gauge;

3) voltage gauge:

can anyone tell me how to do it out of my truck since my truck is not running, I am refurbishing my gauge cluster.
Attached Images

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: Bench testing my 64 gauge cluster

Hi Bud,

Here are some tips for you on how I do my own gauge testing for my cluster builds.

For the temp gauge, I use a 12V battery and a temp sender and wire it all up just like it would be in the truck. You will have to ground the temp sender to simulate it being in the engine. You can then stick the temp sender in a bucket of water and watch the gauge move.

For the fuel gauge, it is the same idea as the temp gauge. Myself,, I use an actual fuel sender out of a pick up and wire it up just like it is in the truck. You can sweep the float and watch the gauge move.

For the amp gauge, again you can wire it up just like it is in the truck. I like to use a headlight or a blower motor to create a draw to watch the gauge move.

Some might say you can just touch a hot and ground to the back of the gauge terminals but that is not a good idea. It will make the gauges move but it can also damage the gauges.

Another thing, if you use a 12V battery or even a battery charger, make sure to have a 10 amp fuse in line to prevent damage to the gauges.

I am not in a position now to tell you which terminal on the gauge does what but if you have a wiring schematic for the 64 - 66 trucks, it will tell you that information.

Your cluster is looking really nice. Great attention to detail.

Good luck,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote