The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
sstaten69

Got the call dad my brakes went out.

The boy was driving to work last night. Then I got that call DAD my brakes went out, He is okay as well as the truck he got it stopped on the side of the road using his parking brake.. When I got there I drove it and they seemed okay. Not sure if they where just froze up or what, it has been very cold the last few weeks . So we got it home and know we are thinking we should replace the brake master thinking it isn't working right. He is wanting to upgrade to power so know the search goes on to find the set up for that.
sstaten69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
4th Gen C-10

Re: Got the call dad my brakes went out.

I would definitely get the master replaced. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years back. Going down a hill the pedal went to the floor. After pumping it a few times I got a little pressure (enough to stop). Same thing happened all the way back home. Replaced the master and all was good.

4th Gen. C-10 Build Thread
4th Gen C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
BlacklandCamper

Glad he knew how to get it stopped safely. I had that issue a few times with old VWs, part of the allure of four wheel drum brakes.

I agree, this may be a good time to upgrade to a newer master, and a booster. My issues stemmed from old hoses, and worn wheel cylinders. What kind of shape are yours in?

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacklandCamper View Post
Glad he knew how to get it stopped safely. I had that issue a few times with old VWs, part of the allure of four wheel drum brakes.

I agree, this may be a good time to upgrade to a newer master, and a booster. My issues stemmed from old hoses, and worn wheel cylinders. What kind of shape are yours in?
Yea he did good, we had to replace his wheel cylinders and hoses we just didn't replace the master.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

In the meantime, teach him how pump the brakes. Not a fix, but it usually works well enough to slow you down in an emergency. Everyone who drives should be ready & able to pump the brakes if needed.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
In the meantime, teach him how pump the brakes. Not a fix, but it usually works well enough to slow you down in an emergency. Everyone who drives should be ready & able to pump the brakes if needed.
Yes he got a free lesson on pumping those bad boys. That's what he did all the way home. He is parking it tell he gets paid next Tuesday as he can get a new master then. plus its snowing so its sitting for a few days.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
69GMCLonghorn

Agreed! You don't really learn how to drive until you've stopped sans brakes a couple times! E-brake, downshift like a mo-fo, dodge approaching objects, hit the horn, crap yourself... If you accomplish all that without death or dismemberment, you are then a MAN!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #8
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
Agreed! You don't really learn how to drive until you've stopped sans brakes a couple times! E-brake, downshift like a mo-fo, dodge approaching objects, hit the horn, crap yourself... If you accomplish all that without death or dismemberment, you are then a MAN!
Yea he was coming down a nice hill going to get gas pulled the e brake dropped it in to 2nd then 1st stopped in a guys yard.. The guy asked hey why you pulling in to my yard so fast. Yea think he craped his self he was pretty shaken when he called me..
Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
bigmac73

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...-6772BB2-11%20
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #10
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
Wow... think he try to find a used one. That one would take him a few months to save up for. There is a couple of old trucks sitting in some yards close to us... After the snow we may try to stop and see if they will let us look to see if it has what we need.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaten69 View Post
Wow... think he try to find a used one. That one would take him a few months to save up for. There is a couple of old trucks sitting in some yards close to us... After the snow we may try to stop and see if they will let us look to see if it has what we need.
Fyi 40+ yo brake boosters are kind of a crap shoot as far as whether theyll work or not. I went through three second hand ones before i used the last one as a core for a rebuilt one. Granted all of the brackets were useable, but with all of the time i wasted, i probably would have been better off going with the summit setup, or one from CPP. Maybe dad could spot him a few bucks (?)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Fyi 40+ yo brake boosters are kind of a crap shoot as far as whether theyll work or not. I went through three second hand ones before i used the last one as a core for a rebuilt one. Granted all of the brackets were useable, but with all of the time i wasted, i probably would have been better off going with the summit setup, or one from CPP. Maybe dad could spot him a few bucks (?)
Yea he has found a rebuilt one for under 100 bucks. We just wondering about the factory bracket and rod.. Done this on my 68 Chevelle ended up having to get a new one from ccp and had it chromed this was abought 10 years ago.. Man the kid has more moneys than me I haven't worked since June.. and he only works maybe 10 to 15 hours a week at Mcds. Until the summer time .He has been online looking for options for the past 2days being there hasn't been no school due to snow. would be nice to just get the booster and hardware with out the master. he has already got it from auto parts store.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #13
jjzepplin

Had that happen once. Changing the engine in my 66 Chevelle I had pinched (or PO ) the brake line running under the front engine cradle. Hard braking it would just barely seep a bit til finally I was out of fluid. Real hard to find as it just looked like a small oil leak. Four speed Muncie so down shifting was not a problem. Cleaning my pants after the intersection near miss was an issue.
Go through the whole system as the truck is replaceable.
Your son is not.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Had that happen once. Changing the engine in my 66 Chevelle I had pinched (or PO ) the brake line running under the front engine cradle. Hard braking it would just barely seep a bit til finally I was out of fluid. Real hard to find as it just looked like a small oil leak. Four speed Muncie so down shifting was not a problem. Cleaning my pants after the intersection near miss was an issue.
Go through the whole system as the truck is replaceable.
Your son is not.
Yea he had to even change his socks, it was pretty scary for a 16year old for sure. We also thought that maybe we had a small leak but it is still full of fluid so that is what made us think that old master is going out, he got one from auto zone. So he is going to put that on after the snow melts and we can get to the truck. Had the same thing happen to my 70 nova, guess the o rings dry out and they just stop working.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
sstaten69

Okay today after school he wanted to put his new master cylinder on, it was about 25degress out and snowing. (just a dusting) We are going to bleed the whole system out maybe tomorrow depending on the weather. I had it bench bleed for him before he came home so he just had to undo the old and install the new one. After we called it quiets for the night, we were freezing. we noticed that his water pump was leaking... Damn it. So he was going to get a new one tonight on his way to work, guess we are doing that also this weekend....... Fun fun.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 AM   #16
In The Ten Ring

I had to run a red light once (I looked both ways) when my '75 Pontiac lost her brakes.

I learned to pump brakes real fast too!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 AM   #17
sstaten69

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I had to run a red light once (I looked both ways) when my '75 Pontiac lost her brakes.

I learned to pump brakes real fast too!
Wow, Had this happen to my 70 nova when we still lived in Vegas.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
sstaten69

We got it all done and he drove it to work today. No problems with the brakes or the cooling system. But it did burn out a headlight.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #19
sstaten69

We did have to change out the new master, It was leaking from the lid they gave us a new one and it still leaked so they gave us a new one not a remanufactured one so now its all better. We put it to the test and loaded it up with some stuff from our storage unit. worked just as we wanted it to.
Attached Images