The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
tdmuskie

Title issue

Ok, another wrench in trying to get a title for my 1971 Blazer. So what happens in Wisconsin is if the vehicle has not been registered for the road in 5 years the DOT throws away all records of that vehicle. Leaving it up to the owner to have the title on hand. Which most people do, but lucky for me not this guy I bought the Blazer from.

So I applied for a lost title and for the title to be put into my name. Not so easy, I had to fill out more paperwork and then the DOT issues me what they believe the value of the truck is through just pictures. Now I have to get a surety bond for 1.5 times the value of what the DOT comes up with. Problem with a surety bond is if someone comes up with the title in the 5 year time and wants the Blazer back I cannot do anything about it, it's not mine anymore.

Not sure what to do, use it as parts and try to find another blazer? What do you guys think?
tdmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Chulisohombre

Re: Title issue

Does this guy have the original title in his name from before. If that is the case he would be the only one that can claim it then. Get a bill of sale motorized from this guy maybe to try and cover yourself. Otherwise use as parts on another good titled truck. Or walk away. Is it worth the time and money to parts or is it in good enough shape to be a driver? I don't think I would want to mess with it personally. Hate to have it good end driving and have someone rip it out from under you.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
tdmuskie

That's my fear. I don't want to spend my time and money and then someone take it away. I do have a signed bill of sale and this guy has owned it from brand new, so the chances of him taking it back are very slim.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Chulisohombre

If you trust this Guy and was the 40 year owner of it. You don't have a ton to worry about then. It's still going to be in the back of your head though for the next five years.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
tdmuskie

That's what I'm thinking. They are nice people that I bought it from and don't feel like they would ever do such a thing. He was just happy to get it out of his woods.

I just won't drive out and show them what I did to it when it's finished until the 5 years is up.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Try looking up Quiet Title. This may or may not help in your situation.
It is a lot of legal hoops to jump through but its well worth the peace of mind that no one can take the vehicle from you. Again I'm not sure this is the way for you to go. The good thing about a quiet title is that it is not a salvage or builders title. So there are no issues with insurance,registration or tags. Looks like an original title.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Chulisohombre

Too bad you can't title it out of state that uses only bill of sale. Then reticle it and register it in your state. Probably be a mess too but at least you would have a clear title.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Too bad you can't title it out of state that uses only bill of sale. Then reticle it and register it in your state. Probably be a mess too but at least you would have a clear title.
I definitely wouldn't try to circumvent the laws. Doesn't seem to ease the mind.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Bluechevy68

It seems to me that if this guy has been the only owner of the blazer the whole time that you could make a statement concerning the lost title in the bill of sale and have him sign acknowledging the fact and have it notarized. Then it seems there would be nothing he could do. But, I would recommend having this method checked first.
Bluechevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Unless you have reason to suspect it was stolen with the possibility of an aggrieved former owner coming out of the woodwork I would build it. Heck, make it a 5 year resto

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
tdmuskie

It needs a lot of work and probably take me at least 3-4 years to build it. So I think for the $80 bond I need to purchase for 5 years I'll be ok.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
lopemaxx

My 72 has a similar title situation here in Montana. It is my understanding of bonded titles that if someone comes forward with a claim against the VIN they are only entitled to the amount of the surity bond and not the actual vehicle. At least that is how it works here in MT. I would double check the conditions of the surity bond.
_--_--_- /___|__\____
-_--_-_ |____|__|___]
*.*..*.*.._@_ _ _ _ @
lopemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #13
tdmuskie

Thanks, I'll have to check on that. If that's the case then I wont worry about it and just start building.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Chulisohombre

That's why I said it would be a issue too maybe. If what the other guy said is true about the bond then I wouldn't worry too much about the truck being taken from you. With a couple years worth of time and money thrown at it, I'd be checking as much as you are as well. I wouldn't want to anything illegal to make the truck even more a liability. It's hard to pass up with you would be the seconds owner of a original. I wonder if a dealer could help get you in the right direction. Seems like if that bond deal would pay off anyone coming for the vehicle and still leave you the truck I'd definitely be going for it.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Title issue aside - let's see some pics of the K5!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Chulisohombre

Yeah those too. Haha. I meant to ask if you got any pics of said project. We like build threads and lots of pics Here.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #17
tdmuskie

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying one more avenue, all the DOT needs is proof he had owned the vehicle, I asked if they can run the plate numbers off the license plate that is still on the truck and that should be proof that he did indeed own the Blazer. I haven't heard anything back yet.

I have some pics on this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=1971

She's an old rusty Blazer, but for $50. The frame, running gear, window frame, and more are solid. But the outside needs a lot of work. But I have parts already and my uncle is a body man, so I have a lot of tools and expertise to make this a fun summer rig.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
Chulisohombre

Sounds like a winner there. Glad he still had the plate
Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Jdubs71

I would honestly get the advice of a local law enforcement officer where you live. I say that because DOT deals more with the legalities of traffic/auto related issues and not so much the difference between what is criminal and what is civil when dealing with these type of issues. It may be different there, but In CA if you have a written contract between 2 people regarding the sale of a vehicle, and the previous owner tries to "repo" or take the car it would be a civil issue that would need to be argued in court. I would think that if someone did try to take back ownership without physical control they would have a hard time getting it back especially from private property. As long as you show documentation that you did in fact purchase the vehicle, have the keys, and can show that you went through the proper steps at transferring ownership i don't think you would have any issues. I would be more worried about that person reporting it stolen to try and get it back, but there again you have proof with documentation. The people sound like honest people so I wouldn't stress over it. Just my $0.2 sorry for the long winded explanation.

"Common sense is not so common"

My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=555879

Last edited by Jdubs71; 02-08-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Jdubs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTES JIMMY View Post
I am fully aware that this is answer will get scrutiny from some people
Highly illegal plus against board rules to even suggest doing so.
As someone suggested, contact your State Patrol or other governing body and do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Are you aware of the scrutiny your answer is under is because your advice is illegal in some if not all the states? Another problem is when people do this they fail to tell a potential buyer this presto chango maneuver which complicates things for the next guy. Usually most aren't forthcoming about the change. Just a different perspective.
Well put.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #21
Chulisohombre

I remember your other post now. It is a good start and for 5000 dollar budget you could get it a lot of the way torward running and looking good. I hope the license plate can get you what you need to make it yours good.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #22
tdmuskie

thanks. I found out the bond is only for anyone like a bank or someone that had some financial rights to the vehicle. Not the owner that sold it to me. Say a bank wasn't paid in full they can make a claim against it and that is what the bond will pay. I still keep the vehicle. This puts my mind at ease. I'm going to wait for a reply from the plate first, then once I hear from that then I'll get the bond if the plate doesn't work.

I know this rig needs a lot of work but for only $50 and free body work I just can't pass up an old classic. Plus I like having the only one in town, that's always fun. I'll start posting pics as I start on this. We are under around 3 feet of snow right now so it'll have to wait until spring before I can get it to my garage.