The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Jack Guzman

Keeping them stock

I noticed here that almost everyone who starts a build gets an old truck and proceeds to replace everything inside and under it with modern hot rod equipment. I wanted an old truck because I like wrenching on my own equipment but hate what emission controls and computer technology has done to modern vehicles. I like being able to repair problems with a few simple hand tools and common sense. I drove an s-10 for years.I had to pay someone to diagnose and repair it.My 81 stepside short bed beater had a 250 with all the emission hoses bypassed and a manual choke.The truck rotted away and I didn't think it was worth restoring.I hated the body style.
I think these redone machines are nice to drive,nice to look at but that is a whole different area of interest. I like old trucks. Anybody got any stories,photos of builds that restored nice old trucks to their original condition?
I'd like to see someone try to drive one of those low riders on one of the gravel roads around here.---Jack
Jack Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Keeping them stock

Jack: you are right - most of the rides on this forum are extensively modified.
If you are more into stock / restored trucks you might want to check out stovebolt.com
They are more into the original trucks
Good luck.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Rednek13x

I bought my 57 with the intent to restore it to like new condition. After getting it running and road worthy, and driving it over 1000 miles this past summer, iv changed my mind. The truck has never been a problem, never skipped a beat, never let me down. Im young enough to where the rough ride doesnt bother me. But iv got to the point where i want to enjoy my truck more. So im going to run a 350 instead of the 235, air ride suspention. Everything else on the body/interior will be stock. Now i should be comfortable driving it down the interstate going more than 50mph.
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
lowrodderchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednek13x View Post
I bought my 57 with the intent to restore it to like new condition. After getting it running and road worthy, and driving it over 1000 miles this past summer, iv changed my mind. The truck has never been a problem, never skipped a beat, never let me down. Im young enough to where the rough ride doesnt bother me. But iv got to the point where i want to enjoy my truck more. So im going to run a 350 instead of the 235, air ride suspention. Everything else on the body/interior will be stock. Now i should be comfortable driving it down the interstate going more than 50mph.
hey Rednek13 you got anymore pix of that truck looks pretty sweet from the avatar
Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
mr48chev

I think Redneck 13X hit right on the what and why most guys on here modify their trucks somewhat rather than restore them to showroom stock. They want to get out and drive them and drive them long distances at today's highway speeds and with the need of more modern engines ability to hold up to such speeds and distances.

A lot of those the guys who swap to a mild 350 or later model 250 or 292 six keep the exterior and interior of the truck pretty much all original looking though rather than dechrome or otherwise modify those parts.

I don't have anything against a fully restored to showroom stock truck except that If I had one I probably would never drive it except to a few local shows that were within 100 miles of the house and a two hour drive. Locally while you see the 53 Chevy truck with the 10,000 dollar paint job (documented but not bragged about) with it's fi engine and automatic running up and down the valley and further on a weekly basis you see a number of "restored" trucks riding on trailers to shows 20 miles from home base because the owners don't want to put miles on them, are afraid to get road rash on them or would rather drive the crew cab tow rig with it's leather seats and ac. Some will tell you that their 20K restored truck is too valuable to drive while they tow it with a 50K dualie in a 10 K enclosed trailer.

I don't really car how a guy restores or builds his truck as long as he/she doesn't create an unsafe vehicle to be different or scab it together haphazardly with suspect workmanship due to "not having money to spend on it". It doesn't take a lot of money to do it right if you take your time and hunt down the deals.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
mikec4193

Hi Jack

My smelly old 2 cents on old trucks...I love them...I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's and my dad never had a new truck...I recall an old Dodge Pilothouse from the 1950's era....I remember old step vans made into work trucks...they were all really cool...
The last project I finished was a 1947 Willys Jeep..I kept it as stock as I could except I went to 12 volts, added 3 point seat belts and also LED tail lights to make it brighter at night...it is one super cool truck..my main issue is it wont keep up with the modern day traffic flow...so I don't use it much...I do start it up and run it around my yard once every couple of weeks...
So my next project is going to be a 1 ton 1951 Chevy truck...cant wait to get it home and get fiddling with it...I guess it runs so that is a plus...I am going to upgrade the brakes first....rewire it second....I want it to be an old truck when I am done....I love the patina on the old stuff too...

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 AM   #7
TNACUSTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think Redneck 13X hit right on the what and why most guys on here modify their trucks somewhat rather than restore them to showroom stock. They want to get out and drive them and drive them long distances at today's highway speeds and with the need of more modern engines ability to hold up to such speeds and distances.

A lot of those the guys who swap to a mild 350 or later model 250 or 292 six keep the exterior and interior of the truck pretty much all original looking though rather than dechrome or otherwise modify those parts.

I don't have anything against a fully restored to showroom stock truck except that If I had one I probably would never drive it except to a few local shows that were within 100 miles of the house and a two hour drive. Locally while you see the 53 Chevy truck with the 10,000 dollar paint job (documented but not bragged about) with it's fi engine and automatic running up and down the valley and further on a weekly basis you see a number of "restored" trucks riding on trailers to shows 20 miles from home base because the owners don't want to put miles on them, are afraid to get road rash on them or would rather drive the crew cab tow rig with it's leather seats and ac. Some will tell you that their 20K restored truck is too valuable to drive while they tow it with a 50K dualie in a 10 K enclosed trailer.

I don't really car how a guy restores or builds his truck as long as he/she doesn't create an unsafe vehicle to be different or scab it together haphazardly with suspect workmanship due to "not having money to spend on it". It doesn't take a lot of money to do it right if you take your time and hunt down the deals.
You said it right I drove mine in high school it was all stock it sucked it was all over the road and didn't go very fast. Now 30 years later I'm building it into something to drive. I will show pics when I have enough.
TNACUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
OrrieG

I agree with 1project. My 64 Chevelle has the stock drum/drum set up and stops fine. We have the same congestion that keeps speeds down and temper up. I think the biggest factor is driving defensively to avoid the significant increase in inattentive driving due to cell phones, Ipad, in vehicle entertainment systems, etc. Just this week we had a power outage downtown that killed all the signals. I watched a gal blow thru, what becomes a default 4 way stop, the intersection without stopping while looking at her cell phone. Luckily the cross traffic was watching for her. Seems like almost every time I drive I encounter someone in too big of a hurry, screaming at their kids or spouse, or jabbering on the cell phone instead of going with the flow.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I agree with 1project. My 64 Chevelle has the stock drum/drum set up and stops fine. We have the same congestion that keeps speeds down and temper up. I think the biggest factor is driving defensively to avoid the significant increase in inattentive driving due to cell phones, Ipad, in vehicle entertainment systems, etc. Just this week we had a power outage downtown that killed all the signals. I watched a gal blow thru, what becomes a default 4 way stop, the intersection without stopping while looking at her cell phone. Luckily the cross traffic was watching for her. Seems like almost every time I drive I encounter someone in too big of a hurry, screaming at their kids or spouse, or jabbering on the cell phone instead of going with the flow.
WHOO HOOOO, someone gets it!

Understand with my statements that I have studied this subject. We aren't talking "formed an opinion" on it, we aren't talking just talk, I have studied traffic and our movement. Kept logs for months, that sort of thing. Logs on trip time, amount of signals crossed, time stopped at signals, that sort of thing.

In all my studies what I have found over and over and over is that you can't go faster than traffic, period, PERIOD.

So what I have found as a conclusion is you simply, and this is as simple as it gets, you leave more room. That's all there is to it, you leave more room. I did most of these studies while driving a very well handling car, a Ford SHO, four wheel ABS disc brakes, so I wasn't doing it to "fit in" with my Rambler, I started this before I got the Rambler. Which this study simply gave me a darn good reason to get the Rambler, there is NO NEED for all the brakes and late model bs in my world. I know it doesn't fit everyone's world, but MANY of us simply don't need anything more, we just think we do.

I know this because I watch people every day THINK they need those brakes because they are not leaving that room I am talking about, yet they are going the exact same speed I am!

Now, what happens is one day they drive like an idiot and get somewhere a few minutes faster and they THINK it was because they drove like an idiot! But if they kept a log as I have they would know they got there a few minutes faster because it was simply by the odds they would, and if they drove like a gray haired old man in a Rambler they would have got there two minutes faster too! I logged 11-17 minutes driving to work and it didn't matter how I drove! It averaged out virtually the same! It was wild, it really opened my eyes.

I now watch people blow past me going in and out of traffic like fools only to have me next to them as they exit the freeway, or at every stop light. I love driving past them as I pull up next to them, you KNOW they aren't going to forget the Rambler they passed five blocks ago. But they will justify why THEY were somehow "held back" from doing what that would do if that "jerk" wasn't holding them back that is in front of them. Funny this human being stuff huh?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
WHOO HOOOO, someone gets it!

Understand with my statements that I have studied this subject. We aren't talking "formed an opinion" on it, we aren't talking just talk, I have studied traffic and our movement. Kept logs for months, that sort of thing. Logs on trip time, amount of signals crossed, time stopped at signals, that sort of thing.

In all my studies what I have found over and over and over is that you can't go faster than traffic, period, PERIOD.

So what I have found as a conclusion is you simply, and this is as simple as it gets, you leave more room. That's all there is to it, you leave more room. I did most of these studies while driving a very well handling car, a Ford SHO, four wheel ABS disc brakes, so I wasn't doing it to "fit in" with my Rambler, I started this before I got the Rambler. Which this study simply gave me a darn good reason to get the Rambler, there is NO NEED for all the brakes and late model bs in my world. I know it doesn't fit everyone's world, but MANY of us simply don't need anything more, we just think we do.

I know this because I watch people every day THINK they need those brakes because they are not leaving that room I am talking about, yet they are going the exact same speed I am!

Now, what happens is one day they drive like an idiot and get somewhere a few minutes faster and they THINK it was because they drove like an idiot! But if they kept a log as I have they would know they got there a few minutes faster because it was simply by the odds they would, and if they drove like a gray haired old man in a Rambler they would have got there two minutes faster too! I logged 11-17 minutes driving to work and it didn't matter how I drove! It averaged out virtually the same! It was wild, it really opened my eyes.

I now watch people blow past me going in and out of traffic like fools only to have me next to them as they exit the freeway, or at every stop light. I love driving past them as I pull up next to them, you KNOW they aren't going to forget the Rambler they passed five blocks ago. But they will justify why THEY were somehow "held back" from doing what that would do if that "jerk" wasn't holding them back that is in front of them. Funny this human being stuff huh?

Brian
This would all work well if you only drove on two lane roads. I have responded to many, many accidents over the years where some knucklehead cut in front of a legally traveling motorist. Before said motorist can slow enough to maintain 20 car lengths, said knucklehead grenades the brakes on their featherweight import with 4 wheel disks and ... You're buying him a new import and paying his whiplash claim. There were actually people running this scam on motorists and trying to get cash. I drive my front disc 72 every day and have had others test every bit of my braking ability. When I was pumping the brakes on my 63 with drums 40 years ago there weren't as many people pulling out in front of me, driving erratically and texting while blowing stop signs. Sadly, today I see these behaviors nearly every day.

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
lowrodderchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Guzman View Post
I noticed here that almost everyone who starts a build gets an old truck and proceeds to replace everything inside and under it with modern hot rod equipment. I wanted an old truck because I like wrenching on my own equipment but hate what emission controls and computer technology has done to modern vehicles. I like being able to repair problems with a few simple hand tools and common sense. I drove an s-10 for years.I had to pay someone to diagnose and repair it.My 81 stepside short bed beater had a 250 with all the emission hoses bypassed and a manual choke.The truck rotted away and I didn't think it was worth restoring.I hated the body style.
I think these redone machines are nice to drive,nice to look at but that is a whole different area of interest. I like old trucks. Anybody got any stories,photos of builds that restored nice old trucks to their original condition?
I'd like to see someone try to drive one of those low riders on one of the gravel roads around here.---Jack
my truck came from my father who got it from my grandfather who got it new my dad had it stock and when I got I ran it stock (ok had a drop axle) till a unfort event took place due to frame damage its rocking some suspension mods and not once has my dad looked at it with disapproval most of the things ive done hes always wanted to do. its one of those to each his own things. my fleetline is all stock lowered a bit I drive the crud out that bad boy seen freeways backroads bad side of town good side of town and all the other sides of town. my truck will end up down a gravel bumpy road soon or later just like my fleetline as long as theres no bolts or nuts in my rear view mirror im good
Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
VTX-Black

This is a timely thread for me.

I've been sitting on the fence for over a year, afraid to tamper with it having read where people want "unmolested" trucks, yet knowing that it is a lot of work to drive it often the way it is.

But recently I have come across a number of unmolested trucks that, while not show room trailer queen restorations, are still solid old trucks not going for much money.

This makes me wonder where the "original" truck market even is, let alone where it will be in a few short years when more people older than me get out of the hobby.

I'm staring to wonder if I should start swapping parts with that old 84 Vette that I bought as a parts car, rather than sell the Vette and keep the truck original.
VTX-Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX-Black View Post
This is a timely thread for me.

I've been sitting on the fence for over a year, afraid to tamper with it having read where people want "unmolested" trucks, yet knowing that it is a lot of work to drive it often the way it is.

But recently I have come across a number of unmolested trucks that, while not show room trailer queen restorations, are still solid old trucks not going for much money.

This makes me wonder where the "original" truck market even is, let alone where it will be in a few short years when more people older than me get out of the hobby.

I'm staring to wonder if I should start swapping parts with that old 84 Vette that I bought as a parts car, rather than sell the Vette and keep the truck original.
It's true the truck will never have a great value leaving it stock. Many cars this is true but a common vehicle like we are talking about a nicely updated one is worth more.

But that is such a tiny thought of mine, (none what so ever in fact) I want to drive what I want to drive. I drive a stone stock 59 Rambler everyday, I have a slightly modified 65 Buick Convertible for cruising and my truck that I am building will have every single ever loving inch of it cut and rewelded.

What do you WANT out of your truck, do it and enjoy it.

I don't get someone modifying their grand fathers Model A sedan that they just inherited, that makes no sense to me. But "just a car" that you bought, what the heck, do with it what you want.

Brian

Old 02-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
Jack Guzman

Brian,
My buddy's mother drove a rambler back around the late 50s. I was in grammar school. I seem to remember a push button shifter? Does that sound right? Memory is a funny thing.---Jack
Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #15
Stepside Jim

Good thread.... My situation, back in '82 I bought a '65 Corvette, not stock and in bad shape, perfect, I could afford it.

Over the years I heard repeatedly, "is it original"? It got tiring after a while.

Then comes Barret Jackson on Speed channel, and comes the term....."Resto-mod".

In my opinion that term changed the future of many otherwise stock rebuilds. Now putting in your personal touch is the norm anymore.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Guzman View Post
Brian,
My buddy's mother drove a rambler back around the late 50s. I was in grammar school. I seem to remember a push button shifter? Does that sound right? Memory is a funny thing.---Jack
Your memory is correct in this case. My Dad had a 1962 Rambler Classic with push buttons. It was a neat car, had bucket seats and an aluminum engine.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
VTX-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's true the truck will never have a great value leaving it stock. Many cars this is true but a common vehicle like we are talking about a nicely updated one is worth more.

But that is such a tiny thought of mine, (none what so ever in fact) I want to drive what I want to drive. I drive a stone stock 59 Rambler everyday, I have a slightly modified 65 Buick Convertible for cruising and my truck that I am building will have every single ever loving inch of it cut and rewelded.

What do you WANT out of your truck, do it and enjoy it.

I don't get someone modifying their grand fathers Model A sedan that they just inherited, that makes no sense to me. But "just a car" that you bought, what the heck, do with it what you want.

Brian
Thanks Brian (and thanks Jack for starting this thread)

For me, the nostalgia is in remembering swapping my sports car for my buddies 55 mornings on the way to high school and learning three in the tree.

Today, the idea of driving a 6 with three in the tree might be better than actually doing it though. As a novelty, I could be satisfied either way. It is more about getting out in the thing, and both ways would put a smile on my face for different reasons. THINKING…..
VTX-Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #18
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX-Black View Post
Thanks Brian (and thanks Jack for starting this thread)

For me, the nostalgia is in remembering swapping my sports car for my buddies 55 mornings on the way to high school and learning three in the tree.

Today, the idea of driving a 6 with three in the tree might be better than actually doing it though. As a novelty, I could be satisfied either way. It is more about getting out in the thing, and both ways would put a smile on my face for different reasons. THINKING…..
I do it every single day and have a ball.

Brian

Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
dcmalone

I like my old truck because it's old. I'll probably never put an IFS or four-link under it, but I did add disk brakes and am running a 350sbc/200 4r combination. I enjoy getting on the interstate if I want to and being able to stop when someone pulls over in front of you and jams on the brakes because they don't plan ahead of their next turn. With drums all the way around I had to know that I was going to stop on down the road. I always leave plenty of room between me an the car in front of me, but for some reason that gives other people the sense that that's where they need to be. I'm making my safe and a pleasure to drive whenever I feel like, not just when it's between 70-74 degrees on completely sunny days. I do however like to look at all of 'em whether a $100,000 showpiece or one like mine that is built as I go.
dcmalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I absolutely love cars & trucks. I highly respect the guys that have put the time and effort into restoring to original and the ones that are mixed with aftermarket and original parts, heck some of those new fenders you buy today probably used to be old American cars & trucks anyway hahaha.
If you like IFS great! Disk brakes great! Straight axel great! Drum brakes great !
As for me personally, if I was to find an umolested, untouched, unaltered Chevy truck, I would personally cut it up too add Corvette IFS, Corvette IRS w/ coil overs LS3 engine, 700r4 trans, why? because that is what's GREAT! for me and my taste. wether anyone likes it or not, that's what I would buy it for.
My reason is that I want the reliability, power to go, the power to stop, and the comfort of knowing that I did it all myself.

My F.B. project page.

Last edited by fabguy; 02-09-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Additions
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
i absolutely love cars & trucks. I highly respect the guys that have put the time and effort into restoring to original and the ones that are mixed with aftermarket and original parts, heck some of those new fenders you buy today probably used to be old american cars & trucks anyway hahaha.
If you like ifs great! Disk brakes great! Straight axel great! Drum brakes great !
As for me personally, if i was to find an umolested, untouched, unaltered chevy truck, i would personally cut it up too add corvette ifs, corvette irs w/ coil overs ls3 engine, 700r4 trans, why? Because that is what's great! For me and my taste. Wether anyone likes it or not, that's what i would buy it for.
My reason is that i want the reliability, power to go, the power to stop, and the comfort of knowing that i did it all myself. :d
amen!
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Jack Guzman

Great responses. One of the things I like about this place.People respond.Not afraid to put in their 2 cents.I know there are are others that think like me I'm just trying to flush them out. I'll check out stovebolt.com cause it looks like there are more people there that don't modify everything.But if you all don't mind,I'll still hang around here. Alot of good information here and people talk to you. Besides even though it isn't my cup of tea,I love looking at all the beautifully modified trucks.---Jack
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
lowrodderchev

on the bright side you know were to go if your looking for a original parts jack LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
longbike

Hey Jack!

I did my 57 back to original I just love the way old trucks were made back then and when I drive mine I want to be taken back into time the way it was back then, just my cup of tea,
but these guys on here with the modern mods are doing outstanding great jobs and I'm sure they do run and drive allot better so to each there own, do what ever you like, its your truck!

As for the stove bolt site, a great site but I just can't get into how the site is set up, being photos separate from the build log, to confusing and aggregating to use!

I like it here with these guys also!
longbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
mechanixman

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but I'm doing mine with a sbc and discs up front because it's cheaper. I can buy any sbc part off craigslist for less than $100, and new brake pads are a helluva lot cheaper than even reshoing the old shoes! (at least around here)
That being said, I'm still keeping the original 5 pedal configuration, same rear axle, manual steering. Now a big reason for keeping it that way is I'm 18, and have never really earned an appreciation for power steering/brakes. So I figured while I'm still young enough to screw around with it, why not?
Basically, I'm only updating what will be easier and cheaper to maintain during normal day to day use.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote