The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
KyFarm

adding a fuel tank

Well the fever has hit me again and it may be time to spend some money on the truck.

I have an original 16 gallon tank in the K10 and with the desire to refill it between 1/4 and 1/8 full I'm only getting 12 to 14 gallons of usable fuel storage. Since I am probably getting 6 to 8 mpg that is basically like a stop at the gas station every other time I get in the truck, approx. every 70 to 100 miles.

I know I could get a 20 gallon tank to go behind the seat but that is only 4 extra gallons for the money and effort I would like to do a little better.

SO, is it possible to add one of the racing type tanks

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spun-A...let,60364.html

where the outlet is on the bottom and tee the outlet line to the outlet line of my in-cab tank therefore adding 9 or 11 gallons of storage?

The new tank would be placed in the bed at a height between the top and bottom of the in-cab tank. As long as the bottom of the added tank is above the bottom of the in-cab, the levels should equalize and then the sender would read for both tanks.

I would have to extend the fill neck on the new tank to be as high as the fill on the in-cab also.

So in my mind it seems like it should work but are there problems anybody sees?

Thanks for any help.....

1969 K-10, Short Step, (383HT/4L70E soon)-NP205
KyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote