The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
PackMule

Replacing 250 c.i. with a 194 c.i. six

Greetings all. I have a 1970 C-10 with a 250 c.i. six that I use to do odd jobs. I don't know for sure yet, but it looks like, through my own fault, that I cracked the block. The mechanic that I use suggested (if the block is cracked) that he drop in a 350 that he pulled out of an El Camino.

I want to be able to use some aftermarket parts that are currently on the old engine, (Offenhauser intake, Holly 500 cfm carb, Clifford Headers) so I asked if he could drop in a 194 c.i. six that he has there at the shop.

Would the 56 cubic inch difference in engine size make a big difference as far as power goes? I really like the old straight six engines and would like to stay with one. Any comments are welcome.
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Replacing 250 c.i. with a 194 c.i. six

I would look for another 250, look in CL , post a WTB ad, also call a few salvage yards by you. They are not hard to find....good luck
Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
truckster

In my opinion, the 250 is at the lower end of the scale for the horsepower you need to move these trucks. I would not recommend going any smaller.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
PackMule

Thanks for your input Hornet and Truckster, it is appreciated!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
69GMCLonghorn

The 194 was a good engine, but underpowered in a Nova, so in a truck it would be immovable unless you put a blower on it. How 'bout a nice 572?? Just a thought...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
pritch

Find a 250 block and put the 194 head on it, if it is indeed a 194 head.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
PackMule

Thanks so much everybody for your welcome input. I got a call from the mechanic this morning. Seems even my negligence and stupidity couldn't even trump Chevy durability. Even though several freeze plugs all popped out, and there is a large leak from the heater core, the block is not cracked. Note to self: "Mcfly, don't run straight water in the radiator. Even though I live in NC now Hornet, I'm originally from Roseburg. Sure do miss Oregon. Thanks again everybody. I'll post some pics of the old beast after I pick her up.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
zeldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Thanks so much everybody for your welcome input. I got a call from the mechanic this morning. Seems even my negligence and stupidity couldn't even trump Chevy durability. Even though several freeze plugs all popped out, and there is a large leak from the heater core, the block is not cracked. Note to self: "Mcfly, don't run straight water in the radiator. Even though I live in NC now Hornet, I'm originally from Roseburg. Sure do miss Oregon. Thanks again everybody. I'll post some pics of the old beast after I pick her up.
Reminds me of a family story about my uncle and my cousin that lived in Augusta, Ga. My cousin had graduated high school and had started college in 1964. He wanted to buy his dads old car, a 1954 chevy. On the first cold day of winter, my uncle woke up and found the freeze plugs laying on the ground. So he sold the car to my cousin, telling him it now needed a new block. My enthusiastic cousin picked up the old freeze plugs, used a hammer and put them back in the block, and drove the car for the next 4 years. After graduating from college, he got a job in California, and drove the old 54 there without major problems. Then a few months later, he won a new car on a game show, then sold the 54 for enough money to pay taxes, registration, etc;, much to my uncles dismay. My uncle was known as a "spend thrift", or as us kids would say, cheap. And never forgot how he was "cheated" by his son up to the day he died in 1998.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
PackMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldman View Post
Reminds me of a family story about my uncle and my cousin that lived in Augusta, Ga. My cousin had graduated high school and had started college in 1964. He wanted to buy his dads old car, a 1954 chevy. On the first cold day of winter, my uncle woke up and found the freeze plugs laying on the ground. So he sold the car to my cousin, telling him it now needed a new block. My enthusiastic cousin picked up the old freeze plugs, used a hammer and put them back in the block, and drove the car for the next 4 years. After graduating from college, he got a job in California, and drove the old 54 there without major problems. Then a few months later, he won a new car on a game show, then sold the 54 for enough money to pay taxes, registration, etc;, much to my uncles dismay. My uncle was known as a "spend thrift", or as us kids would say, cheap. And never forgot how he was "cheated" by his son up to the day he died in 1998.
Thanks Zeldman for the great and hilarious anecdote! What makes it more funny yet, is that my wife is from Augusta GA. and her father had many resentments up until the day he died. They were all originated from deals that coulda, shoulda, woulda, worked out better for him. He was definitely a "spendthrift" aka cheap. A valuable lesson I learned from this experience is the tangible but also humor value of great blogs like this. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
88Ironduke

Funny thing about them freeze plugs... I had a Firechicken dropped to my garage because it wouldn't run at all in January. It had a really nice TPI350 installed with all the pretty go-fast stuff bolted on. Funny thing it leaked water thru the sides of the block but the freeze plugs were perfect! You could actually see the where the water jackets froze in the block. Mmmm straight water freezes at 32f just like my 6'th grade science teacher said.

88Ironduke

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932

Last edited by 88Ironduke; 02-12-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: ID10T light was on
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
PackMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Ironduke View Post
Funny thing about them freeze plugs... I had a Firechicken dropped to my garage because it wouldn't run at all in January. It had a really nice TPI350 installed with all the pretty go-fast stuff bolted on. Funny thing it leaked water thru the sides of the block but the freeze plugs were perfect! You could actually see the where the water jackets froze in the block. Mmmm straight water freezes at 32f just like my 6'th grade science teacher said.

88Ironduke
Gotta love a bad guy and rocket free environment. Ret. Army guy here. Amazing how problem free life could be if I'd remember those 6th grade Science lessons!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Bluechevy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
I was gonna ask what did you do to crack the block. I guess during this time of the year I should have known. I'm glad you don't have to change engines.
Bluechevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
PackMule

Thanks Blue. Yes at least it was a workable hard lesson to learn, and not a harder lesson. The cool silver lining is that in trying to get ahead of the problem it reminded me about this nifty blog. Not unlike fishing blogs, the amount of collective knowledge out there in a blog such as this is downright amazing! Pretty nifty that darned near anybody can get possible solutions from around the country within a day.