The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Where to get THRIFTAIR heater cable knob for '66?

Where do I get a heater cable knob for a '66 C-10 WITH THRIFT AIR? It holds onto cable for pulling to adjust temp./direction AND it also tightens onto the cable for twisting/rotating to alter fan speeds. It fits the type cable-and-switch like #12 on LMC's site: >>http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=34 <<.

Thanks for all suggestions. I'm even open to an alternate-appearing knob, just in order to achieve functionality, at this point. Naturally, I prefer original looks. Mine works good, but looks like a Boston Bull chewed most of it off--without any plan on where he was going with the mod! [Nice dog, though!]

Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: Where to get THRIFTAIR heater cable knob for '66?

I have one, but pm'd mcmurphey if he can't find his to give to Zeek in Switzerland. If he finds his, ill ship you mine no charge, but if his is a ghost, then I've committed to send it to Zeek.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
donthekawguy

I have looked at almost every site and still havent found anyone who makes one. I don't have anything left of mine so I use pliers.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Where to get THRIFTAIR heater cable knob for '66?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I have one, but pm'd mcmurphey if he can't find his to give to Zeek in Switzerland. If he finds his, ill ship you mine no charge, but if his is a ghost, then I've committed to send it to Zeek.
Fantastic! Please let me know if it becomes available. Will be hoping/looking for some soon good news.
Sam
Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #5
luvbowties

Smile Re: Where to get THRIFTAIR heater cable knob for '66?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
I have looked at almost every site and still havent found anyone who makes one. I don't have anything left of mine so I use pliers.
Thx for looking, my friend. Never know when someone may look where I've over-looked. Hope you're enjoying your ride as much a I am mine!
Sam
Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
ChrisDollins

Wondering if you ever found a supplier for the knob. Not sure if mine is the "thrift air" or not. It's a single knob that you pull to adjust the amount of heat, then turn clockwise to select fan speed. My original knob is still on it, but I'm wanting to order all deluxe knobs. I first thought it was the same as the windshield wiper knob without the sprayer. After reading your post, I looked at mine. Definitely different lol. Glad I found your post. I wonder if one of the others could be made to work. The choke knob is close, but no flat or a spot for the screw. But both the choke and wiper knob might be able to work with some epoxy and drilling, dunno.

Chris
ChrisDollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
luvbowties

Unhappy Re: Where to get THRIFTAIR heater cable knob for '66?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post
Wondering if you ever found a supplier for the knob. Not sure if mine is the "thrift air" or not. It's a single knob that you pull to adjust the amount of heat, then turn clockwise to select fan speed. My original knob is still on it, but I'm wanting to order all deluxe knobs. I first thought it was the same as the windshield wiper knob without the sprayer. After reading your post, I looked at mine. Definitely different lol. Glad I found your post. I wonder if one of the others could be made to work. The choke knob is close, but no flat or a spot for the screw. But both the choke and wiper knob might be able to work with some epoxy and drilling, dunno.

Chris
No luck finding one. Ended up "turning" the chewed up knob[literally chewed up: p/o hauled 2 dogs who chewed up the od & insert of this one knob]to make it symmetrical, trimmed a walking cane rubber tip to just fit what was left, epoxied them, and the design comes somewhat close[with LOTS of imagination] to original; what's best is it works like a charm. Cost ~ $3.00.
Sam
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
ChrisDollins

Hey that works! I think I'm going to try and make a wiper knob work, or remove the stainless and install it on my knob. Really wish someone remade these.

Chris
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
63burban
Chevy addict

Choke and Thrift air knobs screw onto the shaft, so they should interchange
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
ChrisDollins

My heater/fan control knob has a screw on the side like the wiper knob, except it is D shaped to slide onto the cable in the dash. Mine is not threaded, that would have been nice though.

Chris
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
1963c-10

I think I have one....I'll check tonight if it'll help someone out. If someone could provide a pic for parts verification it'd help.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDollins View Post

Chris
HERE IS WHAT THE GMC CONTROL KNOB LOOKED LIKE, I LOST MINE IN THE BUILD AND AM LOOKING FOR ONE ALSO. KIETH

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...20detail-L.jpg

A BETTER SHOT
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-qBsq92W/A

kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Where do I get a heater cable knob for a '66 C-10 WITH THRIFT AIR? It holds onto cable for pulling to adjust temp./direction AND it also tightens onto the cable for twisting/rotating to alter fan speeds. It fits the type cable-and-switch like #12 on LMC's site: >>http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=34 <<.

Thanks for all suggestions. I'm even open to an alternate-appearing knob, just in order to achieve functionality, at this point. Naturally, I prefer original looks. Mine works good, but looks like a Boston Bull chewed most of it off--without any plan on where he was going with the mod! [Nice dog, though!]

Sam
Auto Zone sells this. It might work.
Attached Images

grs is offline   Reply With Quote