The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
undertaker72

1972 GMC SEIRRA GRANDE options SPID

maybe you guys can assist me , im kinda new hear and im a old fart learning , I cant quite tell if this truck ive aquires , has all of the right stuuf or some has been changed , ill try and post a couple pics also , here goes its white and olive , seira grande , has the parchment trim package , and the sierra grande , if I understand the grande package is like the Cheyenne super , my questions , are 1. should this have the wood grain inst bezel,
2 does it have the righ seat belts, and dash pad they are black
3 is the glove box door supposed to be black
4 the ash tray has wood on it and my Cheyenne dosnt is this correct ,

I know things change thru the years just like we do , sorry for the bad spelling and such but we are like are trucks and have flaws , thanks for this wonderful site for knolwege , no go easy on me , let me have it , im going to try and post pics with this thanks, kevin
Attached Images

undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: 1972 GMC SEIRRA GRANDE options SPID

Hey Undertaker...here is a bit of feedback.
First....very nice truck!!
Second, your truck has had some great updates...including the addition of the factory tach. When this was done it appears as the original (woodgrain) bezel was replaced with a newer all chrome (plastic) one.
So...looks great, but it isn't original if that matters?
I'm not sure about the glovebox tho'....GMC did things a little different than Chevy so they 'might' have painted it black but the tell tale would be if the vin number on the inner spid matches your main vin plate, etc. That would probably indicate 'yes' it is original to the truck.
I'm not sure if the seatbelts should be black tho'. If you have the parchment trim ordered the seatbelts should be parchment too....at least I'm pretty sure about that.
The ashtray thing...I'm not sure if this was added later or not.
Ok, that should get things started....
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
undertaker72

Re: 1972 GMC SEIRRA GRANDE options SPID

that's kinda my thinking, I thought it should have the wood grain , and like you stated , gmc is a little different , I kinda recearched and read the sierra grande package came with the tilt and tack and this has it , it has posi and everthing else matches , and the vin in door matchs and its never been altered , its still attached with the roset rivets , thanks for the help kevin

Last edited by undertaker72; 12-12-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
leddzepp

Tilt and tach are stand alone options that would be called out on the SPID. Someone added these to your truck. It's no biggie if they weren't there originally, they are there now and nice to have.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Coley

Smile Re: 1972 GMC SEIRRA GRANDE options SPID

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker72 View Post
I kinda recearched and read the sierra grande package came with the tilt and tack and this has it , it has psi and everthing else matches , and the vin in door matchs and its never been altered
...Respectfully....I don't think that is completely accurate and I'm not sure what you are referencing for the Sierra Grande Info you mention.
Some of the other guys will weigh in on this I'm sure to help clarify a little further.
If the truck came with Tilt and Tach it would be on the option plate (aka 'spid')...it wasn't part of a hidden option package, Sierra Grande or Cheyenne Super...they did still need to be ordered to be included...and they would show on that (spid) sheet in the glovebox.
Regardless....you have them! so that is the important point and no worries, a lot of guys look to add those options at some point.
Does it have a 'psi' gauge? If so, that too is an indicator of it coming from a donor truck. The psi gauge usually came out of the big 3 and 5 ton trucks for the air brakes and wasn't available (or needed) on the smaller trucks. A lot of guys like them tho' who are adding the air bag options, etc...nice to have!!
One 'give away' on the factory tachs is if the needle colour exactly matches (...or not) the other gauges in color and fade.
Again...nice truck!

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
undertaker72

yes I see what you are saying , and mine is faded thanks you guys
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
71 super

The black belts are correct for what you have. I have a red and white super that has parchment interior, black dash pad, black belts. Tilt and tach have been added at some point and the glove box door is correct, some plants used black doors on grandes and supers- think it was St. Louis plant but not positive. Nice truck!
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
leh72super1500
GMC with Blue Plaid

Different than Chevy GMC color matched the glove box doors with the instrument bezel and dash pad. So since your dash pad is black your glove box door is also black. Nice Truck, you should post more pics.

Previous:
2008 Chevrolet Colorado LT 2.9L I4
1988 Chevrolet Suburban Silverado 10 350 < 60K Orig MI
1984 GMC S-15 2.8L V6
1976 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 Camper Special 350
1980 GMC High Sierra 3500 Dually 350 4spd
1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super 10 Shorty 454 (Was my Dads, I wish I still had it)
1969 GMC 910 250 I6 4spd
leh72super1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
undertaker72

thanks as the weather permits , its kinda snowy now , but ill post some thanks again
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
Bill72

Wood grain on ashtray is after market.
Bill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
SS Tim

Overall it looks pretty good. The black trim items are correct including the carpet. The black seat belts are probably correct considering it has black A/C vent balls ( easier to live with too). However that seat cover is a real deviation from stock. The factory cover would have been parchment/white vinyl with black and white houndstooth inserts. Yours appears to be an incorrect olive houndstooth. The vinyl cover should be covering the the seatback side arms. The woodgrain should be on the door panels, glovebox door and gauge bezel. The ash tray was never correct with a wood applique. Finally the steering wheel should be black plastic as well. Except for small detail differences it will be the same as the 71 and 72 Cheyenne Supers pictured.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
undertaker72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Overall it looks pretty good. The black trim items are correct including the carpet. The black seat belts are probably correct considering it has black A/C vent balls ( easier to live with too). However that seat cover is a real deviation from stock. The factory cover would have been parchment/white vinyl with black and white houndstooth inserts. Yours appears to be an incorrect olive houndstooth. The vinyl cover should be covering the the seatback side arms. The woodgrain should be on the door panels, glovebox door and gauge bezel. The ash tray was never correct with a wood applique. Finally the steering wheel should be black plastic as well. Except for small detail differences it will be the same as the 71 and 72 Cheyenne Supers pictured.

ss tim , thanks for the info , and enclosed pics
Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
jlmerie

I also have a 1972 Sierra Grande. I am including a picture of the SPID. Ochre and white truck with parchment trim. My truck has the seat belts, dash pad, carpet and glove box door in black. The glove box door had the woodgrain cover, but the door itself is black. Interestingly, the SPID shows the GMC truck as having "Cheyenne Super Equip". I believe this is also fairly common depending where the truck was built.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
undertaker72

jlmerie, that's interesting , and I guess like you and a couple others have said it could vary from plants , and heck maybe the day its built thanks, kevin
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
70cst

undertaker72 ...

Let me say this.

I would not kick your truck out of my garage. Its a very nice truck

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
SS Tim

Actually that is very common to see YE9 Cheyenne Super on a GMC SPID. Sometimes there is a GMC conversion listed too. It also seems that St. Louis had a lot of variations over the years in SPID format and descriptions, more than most plants. Found another parchment with black in my collection this morning. It is a 71 Chevy and does not have the black door but still gives a very good feel.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote