The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Sandtrap9072

Exclamation Drive Shaft angles

The question is, what is a good drive shaft angle? I measured mine on my 72 gmc jimmy with an angle finder and it was 15 degrees. trying to figure out why the previous owner put an aluminum spacer between frame and the transmission bracket to lower it down. there is a small lift on the truck but i do not think there is any need for the spacer. what i am thinking about doing is removing the spacer to gain clearance for new headers. But don't want to take it out if i am going to mess up the drive shaft angle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Sandtrap9072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Ole Beater

Re: Drive Shaft angles

The driveshafts on these trucks telescope, so if you lift your truck and then flex it the driveshaft may extend too much. He may have tried to compensate for the lift.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
cleszkie

Might help if you let us know if you are running a CV joint at the transfer case end or not. CV joit can take more angle without vibration than a standard joint. PO probably put spacer in to lower the transfer case output shaft to reduce the angle. What do you consider a small lift? I would consider a CV joint a must on anything with 4 or more inches of lift.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Sandtrap9072

It does have a cv joint. It was a pieced together lift by my uncle. But it's prob close to a four inch.
Sandtrap9072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Chulisohombre

Got pics? It doesn't sound like its really needed. How big is the spacer? You may have better luck with leaving it and using a shortie header and using the rest of the exhaust as is. That is unless the whole exhaust needs replacing. It puts a lot of stress on the frame with a spacer on it though. Easiest way to know is take it out and try it without the spacer. Only 8 bolts. Has the side mount to the rrame been taken off as well or relocated?
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote