The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Tilt column ???

Guys, I need some info. My 77 Cheyenne didn't come with tilt or cruise. I can live just fine without cruise, but I really need a tilt wheel. I put a smaller steering wheel on it, and I can't see the gauges when I'm driving.

What year tilt will fit my truck. Since I don't want to put a used column in without rebuilding to new specs first, how much is involved to rebuild the tilt if I find one? What will I spend in parts and labor?

I am considering just using a column from Ididit so everything will be new. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I think I can get a new column from Ididit for around $350....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
brad2

I think I have a 84 column in the 74.
brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

If you can afford (who am I kidding!) and can get a purty Ididit for that price, I would do that. Tracking down a tilt column, rebuilding it, and repainting it sounds like alot of work...and it will still never look as good as a Ididit piece. Not only that, but you could get a column without the shifter provision and put in a nice floor shifter and have a cleaner look.

Just a thought.

...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #4
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Ken ,
In the earlier years ,73-83, style there were 2 different types of connections on the bottom of the column. (I may be off by one year on this), but the 73-78 used a spline to connect the steering shaft where as the the 79-83 and newer used a round UNSPLINED shaft with 2 flat sides. You can use either 73-78 or 79-83 as long as you change the entire connecting shaft assembly with it, down to the rag joint. Those are not the easiest to find but if that were my truck ,and seeing the great extent some one went to to keep that stock look ,I would do an original column. A while back someone had stated that this guy steeringcolumnologist@msn.com sells rebuilt ones, I believe his name is Randy. . I think they mentioned the year that you need and the price was very reasonable in my word. Keep in mind What I said about changing the connecting shaft because it may be a lot easier to find a 79 -83 model .
I have a shaft here and one 78-83 column with key. it is tight but not show worthy. DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
SCOTI

Ken, we have a buddy here locally that is pretty decent w/rebuilding tilts so if a used one comes up that's an option.

If Ididit makes a column for these trucks, I would buy one for mine (my truck) given the same situation, so it would definitely be worth it for yours.

Sincerely,
Cheap F**ker
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i have an installed column from the guy mentioned above steeringcolumnologist@msn.com his work is incredible and his columns are basically brand new...

i paid less than $150 for a totally rebuilt column and i haven't looked back since... this guy is HIGHLY recommended...

good luck!
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:37 PM   #7
SCOTI

75stepside, how long ago did you install yours?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
75stepside
*Proud Member*

i put mine in about 2 months ago.... the tilt mechanism is VERY tight... tighter than the tilt in my 2000 s-10!!! all of the switches in the column are new... and he even sent a new lock/switch cylinder and brand new levers.... its a quality investment...

i'll snap some digi pix today and post them later on...

check out my website... i'm building a show ready stepside... and this column is DEFINETLY show ready...
75stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I also got mine from Randy (steeringcolumnologist) off of Ebay. You can't beat his work at all. For $114 shipped I had it in less than 10 days to my door and no core charge!!!

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:14 PM   #10
SCOTI

Sounds like he's the 'go to guy'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #11
Nvbowtie

Quote:
Originally posted by 79BIG10
I also got mine from Randy (steeringcolumnologist) off of Ebay. You can't beat his work at all. For $114 shipped I had it in less than 10 days to my door and no core charge!!!

Yep I too have ordered one from Randy, 140 shipped to my door excellent buy.
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Well there you go guys. This is the reason I love this forum as opposed to others. You ask a simple question, and you get solid, knowing answers.

I still haven't contacted Ididit to see if their column is a bolt in or not. It appears that doesn't matter though. If Randy does such an awesome job for half the price, he's got my biz.

Thanks for the quick response, and thanks to Crossy for sharing a bit more of his un-ending knowledge of our trucks. If I hadn't seen pictures of him, I would swear he is shaped like a 73-87 builder manual...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I emailed Randy, but haven't heard back yet. I did a search on Ebay in the neantime. Here is a link to a column he has there now- Tilt Column
Reading the description of what he does before he seels them, it appears he is the column king...

BTW- I checked his feedback too. As expected, it is perfect. The praise is way above average...

Last edited by N2TRUX; 07-23-2003 at 09:34 AM.