The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
colmsted

removing axles 58 apache

Working on a friends 58 apache.Both the rear brakes drums have rear end grease leaking into them. Whats the procedure for removing the axles and changing the seals. No visable bolts to remove the axles , kind of looks like I would have to knock out the wheel studs and go from there. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Charlie.
colmsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: removing axles 58 apache

You need to remove the rear end cover & remove the C clips that retain the axles. The procedure is in a service or repair manual. Or you might find it in a search as it has been discussed before.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
colmsted

No back cover its a front drop out center section. No outboard flange on the axles like the car rear ends have so there must be something i am missing. Did a search couldnt find an answer, but then again I am a newbe to the site.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
_Ogre

unbolt your brake backing plate and slide the axles out, there are 4 bolts
once the axle is out, the wheel bearing is held in with a wedding band
if your replacing the wheel bearing cut the wedding band with a cold chisel from 2 sides

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
colmsted

This rear must have never been apart since the backing plate is held to the housing with 4 large rivets. Is that how the factory put them together? If I grind the rivets off and seperate the backing plate from the housing I dont think the axle will slide out. The axle wheel flange looks like it might be 2 pieces being held together by the wheel studs. Before I going knocking out the wheel studs , has anyone seen this before. I am wondering if this rear is from a different year truck, it does have 6 lug axles.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

It must be from another vehicle. If its not like Ogre describes I can't imagine what you have. Can you send a photo of it. The part you say is held on by the studs could be just an oil slinger.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
OrrieG

post a pic and the data stamped on the passengers side axle tube, near the center housing, and any other casting marks.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
_Ogre

is this a 3/4 or 1 ton truck? if so the axle is bolted on the hub
post up a pic

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
BurgerMan

I actually just did this today and had the same problem when I finally pulled my drum off. Smelled like diff fluid on one side, other side was clean as hell. I have the original axle for my 59, the H033 with the 6 lug pattern (someone correct me if im wrong here) My backing plates are also riveted in, but ground them down and punched them out today after the axle was removed. Process was really simple, and please excuse my non technical terms. Someone feel free to correct my post with the real parts lol:

1) put on rubber gloves cause its gonna get sticky. remove diff cover.
2) rotate carrier gears around until you see a "random" bolt on one side. It was a 1/2" for me.
3) remove said bolt, Shouldn't have to take it all the way out, the diff cap kinda prevents u anyways.
4) slowly and carefully slide the metal rod out of the center of the gears. I had a block in there that fell out and carefully remove that was well.
5) once those two pieces are removed, tap the ends of the axle with a rubber mallet exposing "c". 1/2" max is all I needed.
6) I used a magnet to find mine, they just slid off and fell into the diff fluid at the bottom. The second one I was prepared and had my roommate catch it for me.
7) attached the slide hammer to the end of the axle and 2 good thuds whole thing slid right out.

I imagine if you don't have a inspection cover on yours and it's just the 3rd member then there can't possibly be any c clips on the ends of the axles. How would the fsctory put them there? I'd say just try a slide hammer and they should come out. I'm gonna make a new post with questions about mine now lol