The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
4th Gen C-10

A couple of questions from a newbie

I am getting ready to start pulling apart my 69 C-10 and I'm not quite sure of the order to take things apart. This is what I have figured out so far. Let me know if this is right, if I have missed anything, etc. I am getting the camper shell taken off on Tuesday.

1. Remove battery
2. Drain fluids (gas, oil, tranny, brakes, radiator)

What would you guys recommend from there?

With regards to the bed. Should I pull it all the way apart or can I keep it bolted together (assuming there is no rust)?

Here are some pics and a link to my build thread is below (it has the backstory for the truck).
Attached Images

4th Gen. C-10 Build Thread
4th Gen C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
4th Gen C-10

Re: A couple of questions from a newbie

A few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

My first question would be why in the world are you pulling that truck apart? I'd ditch the camper shell and drive that bad boy!
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

^ WHAT HE SAID^ That truck is way too nice to tear down.They are only that original and that clean once.I would keep it just the way it is.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
TonyJohnson

I third that opinion. Unless there's some terrible rust hiding under that floormat and bed. That truck is what the auction guys call a survivor and they can be very valuable to the right buyer. Just sayin'... I'll trade you for a Blazer that SHOULD be taken apart...
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
67ctener

Dang that's clean. Drive it till the wheels fall off. Really think hard before pulling it apart. I'm half way through mine and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I wish I had a driver right now
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

To expand on my comment - speaking from experience here - I would not pull the truck apart unless you have a clear plan of action and the funds to do everything. Too many very decent cars and trucks get pulled apart and never get finished. I would upgrade the brakes, lowering, wheels, engine, trans, etc. before pulling it apart. That's just me humble opinion...

This is speaking from experience, and after years and years of not following that advice, I'm finally doing this with the '68 you see in my avatar. I'm improving it a little at a time, but I will not pull it apart. I have a '67 C-30 that has been off the road since 2007 because I tore it all apart, and haven't found the time, money, and most importantly, the drive to finish it.

I would think very long and hard about doing it. At the end of the day, if you are building it for your son (or yourself) to actually drive, why do a frame off anyway? Everything you paint, clean, and make look brand new will look terrible the first time you get caught in the rain anyway. A frame off is only necessary for strictly a show vehicle, IMO. That doesn't mean you can't clean the frame, and underneath and paint everything, but doing a nuts and bolt frame off restoration is pointless on something being built to be driven, IMO.

I'd say fix what needs fixing, upgrade what you want to upgrade, and enjoy the truck while you're doing it.

EDIT- After a second look, the only thing that really detracts from the look of the truck is the rockers. You can replace them with the cab in place and either have some paint mixed with a slight flattening agent mixed in to match what is on the truck now or paint the whole area under the molding to make it look nice.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!

Last edited by 67_C-30; 02-15-2014 at 10:57 PM.
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
JasonLS1

tearing down a such a nice truck?.. i dont get it, id leave it and drive it, afterall the weather here in NM is getting warmer

jason
Old 02-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
seattle gmc

Man your truck is very clean and nice, i whish i could say the same thing about mine. I would wait with the teardown, you should drive it for the next ten years or so as is, and tear it down later when it needs it.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
My first question would be why in the world are you pulling that truck apart? I'd ditch the camper shell and drive that bad boy!
Exactly!

Lose the cap, Snoopy, the weird smiley thing, and the nasty steering wheel cover.
Get a leather steering wheel cover from wherever, or wheelskins.com. I have a cover from them but have no allegiance to them.

Last edited by franken; 02-16-2014 at 12:05 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
leftybass209

I wouldn't blow it apart, but if so, start at the front, bumper, hood, grill, fenders. Then drain the fluids with more room. Drop the radiator, core support, disconnect driveline, pull engine and tranny in one lump. That's a start and takes about a day by yourself with proper tools. Then remove engine harness and light harness. Move to interior and it's fair game what you want to do. Obvious things will be in the way of other things, just adjust fire and keep plugging along. Soon you will have a massive pile of parts and a spinning head on how it goes back together! Best of luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
zicc1835

I read your build thread good plan..... i agree with all the comments above, butttt... ITS YOUR TRUCK... have at it .....have fun be committed and keep us up to date
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
otsenre

Im betting this truck will stay as is for a long time!!
otsenre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
WIDESIDE72

Dont do it!!!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Daddy Brim

X 2, on what they all said. Unless you are building a show truck that will be on a trailer, I would fix the obvious and drive the wheels off of it.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Dont dont dont.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
undertaker72

that patina, is premium , like the others and I say leave it and love it , drive it as it is
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
hugger6933

I own a body shop, if you brought that truck to me wanting me to rebuild it for you I would ask you if I could only fix some rust and blend in some paint and call it good for another decade or so. I paint trucks and cars. I rebuild wrecks for a living. I restore muscle and old trucks too and that is my off time hobby. I would implore you to keep it as original as possible unless there is a reason we are unaware of that has you wanting to tear down this truck. If you have the hots to just do a tear down and build,I get that. My dad will call people back after I turn them down from buying something just so he can have a tear down. If that is the case and the money must not be a real big deal, so buy another truck, find a cheaper less clean one maybe one that has had a couple of paints or something like that that it won't hurt and you know it needs a rebuild. If this truck is safe stops and steers right and runs good what much more could a person ask for unless he is trying to build a show truck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I love the guys that completely dismantle the trucks and abandon them. I buy them for pennies on the dollar, finish putting them together, and sell them for what they could have if they had not torn them apart. I have purchased and completed five project trucks since 2004.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are not capable of completing this project but I am saying it takes a lot of time, money, discipline, and dedication to get the job done when you tear them all the way down. You can't sit in front of the TV and say "man' I should be out in the shop working on the truck". Another thing you need to do is figure out what you are going to need for funds and have that much money saved up before you ever start.

I have two things in my favor... I am retired and I don't watch any TV. My only distraction is this place...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #20
4th Gen C-10

Thanks for the compliments on the truck everyone! I have gotten quite a few responses saying that I shouldn't take it apart. I do understand that point of view but I am also looking at this as another possible career after my current one ends (only 17 years left). I've got to learn somewhere/sometime. Plus I have my wife's FULL support...at least right now!

Thanks for the support!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
BlacklandCamper

I would address any issues one at a time, with as little dismantlement as possible. You don't need to do a complete tear down on a truck that clean.

If you decide to do engine or trans work, I would suggest NOT draining any fluids until you start that work. automatic transmissions have a nasty habit of ruining bands and sticking valve bodies after sitting with no trans fluid in them.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote