The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
SourTooth307

Questions about my 84 K10

Hey guys, since I'm lacking any kind of owner's or service manual, I was hoping to get some help with a couple things up with my '84 Scottsdale. The cigarette lighter and the dome light seem to be shot, I changed the bulb in the dome light but it made no difference. I'm thinking a fuse might be the issue since both don't seem to work and are prolly shared. Can anyone tell me which fuse that is, or better yet, if someone's got a map of the fusebox. Also, I'm going to be replacing my driver's side door with one that has less rust, as well as swapping out the lock sylinders. What would that entail if I have no power locks or windows? If I think of anything else I'll throw it in here, thanks everyone.

Oh, also I noticed one of the 4 dash lights, amber and says CHOKE. When is that supposed to come on?

Last edited by SourTooth307; 02-17-2014 at 03:36 PM.
SourTooth307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
SourTooth307

Re: Questions about my 84 K10

........thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

swapping the doors are easy the cylinders pop out with a c clip the tire iron usually fits in there to pop em out so simple even a five year old can do it the fuse box I will see if I can scan an owners manual for you but should be able to find it online

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourTooth307 View Post
The cigarette lighter and the dome light seem to be shot, I changed the bulb in the dome light but it made no difference. I'm thinking a fuse might be the issue since both don't seem to work and are prolly shared. Can anyone tell me which fuse that is, orbetter yet, if someone's got a map of the fusebox.
Yes, the cigarette lighter & dome light do share a fuse. The horn is on the same fuse too so that probably isn't working either.

The fuse in question should be 20 amp fuse labeled "HORN-DM". If the lettering is worn off your fuse box, it's in the middle slot, 3rd row up from the bottom. Just to the upper left of the turn signal flasher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourTooth307 View Post
Oh, also I noticed one of the 4 dash lights, amber and says CHOKE. When is that supposed to come on?
That light should come on as a "bulb check" when you turn the key on. It should go back out once the engine has started. If it comes on with the engine running it means there is a problem with the electric choke. The electric choke is wired through an oil pressure switch so a problem with that switch (or low engine oil pressure) can also cause the "CHOKE" light to come on.

Note that some engines were not factory equipped with an electric choke. In those trucks, the amber lens is usually still present on the dash but it won't have a bulb behind it.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Yes, the cigarette lighter & dome light do share a fuse. The horn is on the same fuse too so that probably isn't working either.

The fuse in question should be 20 amp fuse labeled "HORN-DM". If the lettering is worn off your fuse box, it's in the middle slot, 3rd row up from the bottom. Just to the upper left of the turn signal flasher.

That light should come on as a "bulb check" when you turn the key on. It should go back out once the engine has started. If it comes on with the engine running it means there is a problem with the electric choke. The electric choke is wired through an oil pressure switch so a problem with that switch (or low engine oil pressure) can also cause the "CHOKE" light to come on.

Note that some engines were not factory equipped with an electric choke. In those trucks, the amber lens is usually still present on the dash but it won't have a bulb behind it.
You're the winner buddy, yeah my horn's shot too so that solidifies my fuse theory. My truck has an electric choke (on an Edelbrock carb) that's currently in perfect working order so good to know I'll only see that if there's an issue.

Planning to add the exhaust system, swap the door, and replace that rubber ring in the steering linkages to hopefully eliminate some of the steering play this weekend. Thanks for the advice.