The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
texjake

Firewall/cowl grommet for the antenna lead?

Does anyone know where I can find the firewall/cowl grommet for the antenna lead? I have search all ends of the web; from near & far (LMC, Brothers, etc..) and I cannot for the life of me find one. I bought an assorted pack of grommet's from the local auto parts store but none of those worked. It's the one where the wire lead from the antenna feeds thru the firewall, not the gasket one that the antenna sits on the cowl. Please help.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Firewall/cowl grommet for the antenna lead?

I haven't seen one of those either lately, though I haven't looked hard. One thing I could recommend is maybe pick up a fuel line grommet for the cab floor? Should be roughly the same size. Or you're going to have to get a solid rubber plug and drill a hole. Best of luck!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
66skylarkpost

i've never seen a grommet , just some chaulk smeared around it
'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

Got mine in the junkyard for no charge. They usually come with new antennas also. It's not a common grommet. Someone on the parts board who is parting a truck might have one.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Got mine in the junkyard for no charge. They usually come with new antennas also. It's not a common grommet. Someone on the parts board who is parting a truck might have one.
I agree with you 100% on that "it is not a common grommet". Mine had the original grommet on it and was so brittle it crumbled to pieces when I went to pull the antenna wire out. It looks like the firewall there, where that antenna wire hole is; is thicker and a normal over the counter grommet will not fit there. So my quest continues to find that correct grommet.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
bmcvicker92

Actually, I don't know how savvy you are, but being in a forum I can make assumptions.. So, get all the measurements you can, hole diameter, wire diameter, panel thickness etc, and then, mcmaster Carr. You can find any size, even Mil-Spec. The downside?... You'll probably get a bag of 50, but it'll be like $10, and then you can share and distribute to the needy! Or sell for $4 each. My question, where do I find a cowl mount antenna for them?
bmcvicker92 is offline   Reply With Quote