The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
LMS1967K10

Prime or paint before reassemble?

Ok just want to know what you all think we should or shouldn't do. We have my sons truck stripped down to the frame...now parts are all over my garage...old on one side and new parts in boxes on the other. Everything on the frame has been replaced and or rebuilt then repainted with high gloss black epoxy. Now I would like to start reassembling the truck...My question is say if I reassemble the bed with all the new parts should I prime or paint a base coat where the panels meet up or just trust the coating on the new panels?? What do you do or suggest? Thank you!
LMS1967K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Molberg

Re: Prime or paint before reassemble?

If you use a good quality primer/sealer you should be fine. I have my boxsides dissassembled currently... And you can see the black primer where the panels mated together. (From Factory)Paint would be better IMO... Might catch some scratches on reassembly though

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Just make sure you leave no bare steel anywhere. I think parts look much better painted while disassembled, you can really see the difference, that said you do risk scratching things putting them together but if you're careful, use some decent tape to protect areas you should do fine assembling painted body panels.
One thing I have noticed are panels painted on different days, under different circumstances such as temps, humidity or the way you mix the paint can change colors enough that you can notice when they're reassembled. I painted one of the doors on my truck separately from the rest on a different day and I can see a slight difference in the color even though the paint came out of the same can.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

New panels /fenders/hoods all need to be completely assembled and fitted ,drilled /molded / tweaked / forcibly beat into submission before you waste any time painting anything , just because they are new does not mean anything will line up /fit /look right / or even match the panel your mating it to , i would say very very few new panels ever line up correctly ...
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
hugger6933

Assemble the truck line all the panels set all the gaps then blow it back apart to paint the panels. I can attest to the color change as well even a simple color from the same can as stated above will change colors, I could show you my 68 LeMans convert[6.0 ls1] we painted the front half after the back and it is torch red but it is different. The best you can do is normally what I do when building a late truck/SUV "trim out" the parts. that is where you paint the inner panels all the way just as you would the outer ones but it is a little less tricky or mistake laiden. That is also really good practice if you have not painted before of in a while or are trying new stuff. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
litew8

I'm no painter but I'd agree with the above two comments. Assemble, fit it all then tear it apart. A lot of work but it's a part of the process. Once tore apart, you can prime - then edge all the pieces, reassemble then finish painting.