The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What to do next?
Body 7 46.67%
Drivetrain 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2003, 11:58 PM   #1
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

whats the next step?

well yall, now that I'm at the rolling chassis phase, I've been kind of questioning the next step in my project. I've talked ot a lot of places around about the engine and whatnot, and most of them have 12 month 12k mile warranties, well.. I SERIOUSLY doubt my truck will be done a year from now, so I've been wondering if it would be a better idea to do the body 1st.. so I thought i'd make a poll and see what yall think
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
VTKidder

I think the standard procedure is to get the truck functional, then make it pretty, not vice versa. A perfect paint job with a rusted up worn out undercarriage doesn't make sense to me. Get the truck so that it will run and drive, then make it pleasing to the eye. Must my $0.02.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:50 AM   #3
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i agree with vtkidder... but theres nothing wrong with making it alittle nice while making it mechanically sound

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
smokekiki
Mike

If you are wanting the warranties,then do the suspension and body.Have it ready to paint ,then put the motor and trans in.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
kxmotox247

I say mock everything up with another motor/trans and do all your body work. Dissasemble and paint. Then reassemble with your new motor/trans.
Just my opinion.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
VTKidder

Guess it makes sense to do drivetrain last if you're looking for a warranty. Didn't think of that. I wouldn't worry about warranty so much unless it was a ZZ4 or something. A run of the mill small block can be scored for a very reasonable price, and if it didn't make it a year like the warranty states, then you might want to look at picking up a reman engine from some other source. I think a reman SBC that didn't make a year under normal daily driving (don't know what you do for miles on a daily driver, but I put on about 30k a year) would be pretty much unheard of assuming break-in was Kosher. How many of us still have the original small blocks in our trucks? The'yre probably pretty tired, but I still have mine. If you plan on dragging or racing around, then I'd understand completely....
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #7
DarkFox1
in WAY over my head

well lemme show yall where I stand now, I'm at the rolling chassis stage. meaning my rolling chassis is finished, all new suspension etc. I would love to do both paint/ body and drivetrain at once, but I'm just a broke college student, it'd take me along time to save up that much $$, and I dont know if I can hold off spending for as long as that would take, thats really my concern on that, I thought about it tho

heres a current pic

thanks for the opinions so far guys
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
tom hand
CCRider

I would do the body next...get all the body work done but leave it in primer. Then do the drivetrain and drive it for a little while to check things out. Once you are happy with the mechanicals, then paint it. Interior will be last.