The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
CURSED GEARS

Shift indicator position

Hey! Thought I posted this already, but here we go again.

I took my steering column out to replace the lower bearing. (well, it was missing all together) anyway I noticed the inner cloumn was frozen with petrified grease, So I took the whole column apart and cleaned and oiled and greased until all of the movable parts moved again. I put it back together and shifted it, now my indicator goes left of the parked position. I dont know if it would have done this before the rebuild, as all of the parts were frozen.
I looked on the search function and there is a ton of threads on lower bearing replacement, but no specific information on what I need to know, so here it is. With the column out of the truck and you shift, does the column stop the indicator where it needs to be, or does the linkage to the tranny once its hooked up to the coumn stop the indicator infront of the
"P"? I guess what I'm asking, is did I put it back together wrong, or once hooked up to the tranny will the indicator stop at P as it should?
By the way, I have a 70 Chevy long bed with a non tilt Column, and a 350 tranny.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Shift indicator position

-
Before you try the following there is one thing you need to do. Check the shifter pointer and make sure it is in the correct position. There is a screw in the back and two little plastic hooks/locators/tabs in the front. Make sure that the hooks/locators/tabs are not broken off, or maybe they are not down in the slot which would allow the front of the pointer to move back and forth.

After you have done that open the hood and loosen the adjustment bolt at the top of the rod that connects the transmission and the shifter arm on the steering column, crawl under the truck and manually shift the transmission into Park. Hold it in Park while someone puts the shift lever in the park position up above, then tighten the adjuster bolt back up. This should correct your problem.

Be sure and block your wheels before you start this.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
CURSED GEARS

Re: Shift indicator position

Thanks lockdock. So your saying it will go everywhere while its out of the truck? Good to know. It will be a while. My power steering went out and I was going to try to make it to spring, but then the engine went out. It was old and I didn't even try to trouble shoot it. I had rebuilt a engine last year and it was just sitting there waiting for spring. Then, when I pulled the engine, I saw there was no lower bearing in the steering column, so, I took that out. And since the tranny hasnt been rebuilt since I owned it, (at least 15 years) figured I might as well have the tranny rebuilt. Plus I could not stick all that new stuff in a dirty engine compartment so.......well, you know how it is. Thanks again. By the way, you were in most of all those old threads on bearing replacement!
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote