The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

porterbuilt questions

I know it'd probably be easier just to call and ask, but this site has a lot more feedback and a lot more info and pics of what most people on here are interested in.

Any ways, I was thinking pretty seriously about a body drop. I did a lot of research and viewed a TON of photo's on specific drops with different rim sizes and tire sizes to try and find the look I'm going for. I'm pretty sure I got the back of the truck figured out as for how low I want that to go, but as for the front I can't quite figure it out. I'll be adding tubular front control arms and coil overs in the front in the future, but from the research I've done on how much that will lower the front has me a little worried about clearance on the front cross member.

Now with all that said, the look I want doesn't deal with only the drop of the suspension. Without using bags, I'm trying to get the look on my truck as if it was on bags without the actual frame being that low to the ground and that's why I was thinking of a body drop because in order to get the look I want, the body itself needs to have a rake on it. I'm sure I can modify the mounts to give it the rake I want without actually putting a rake on the frame as well.

So my main question is, with the link provided, http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/?p=348 How much of a drop does this kit put on the body?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
YBNORML

Re: porterbuilt questions

The bolt on body drop gives you about 3/4". It is just enough to put the pinch weld even with frame. If you look at the frame sections in the upper right of the pic, where it gets thinner that is the amount of drop.
Attached Images

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

3/4 of an inch doesn't really sound like that much of a drop. What's the most drop you can put on the body without doing serious mods?

I was thinking of dropping the rear half of the body about 1/2 an inch off the frame rails and the front half of the body about 3/4" - 1 1/2" past the top of the frame rails thus lowering the hood a lot closer to the motor which won't be a problem at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
budnikguy

Sounds to me that you want to chanel the body over the frame..I personally to not see the reason to if you are not trying to lay body with adjustable suspension..but that is just me. Do keep in mind, what ever is closest to the ground will make contact first in something as minor as a tire blow out.
Good Luck and definitely do your research before you cut
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
Sounds to me that you want to chanel the body over the frame..I personally to not see the reason to if you are not trying to lay body with adjustable suspension..but that is just me. Do keep in mind, what ever is closest to the ground will make contact first in something as minor as a tire blow out.
Good Luck and definitely do your research before you cut
That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing. I'm trying to get the top of the wheel well opening to sit right on top of the rim. So with my calculations of running a 15" rim and a 26" tall tire. That means the top of the wheel well opening should be right around 20.5" to the ground. Now if I was to lower it suspension wise to get the front that low, then the frame and front cross member would be a lot lower to the ground which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Now by all means, I'm not trying to lay frame nor lay body. Just trying to get the front of the body lower to the ground without getting the frame lower to the ground.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
bodydropped68

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
3/4 of an inch doesn't really sound like that much of a drop. What's the most drop you can put on the body without doing serious mods?

I was thinking of dropping the rear half of the body about 1/2 an inch off the frame rails and the front half of the body about 3/4" - 1 1/2" past the top of the frame rails thus lowering the hood a lot closer to the motor which won't be a problem at all.
It's all alot of work anyway you look at it. That said if you want to do what your talking about you will still have to raise your bed floor or some sort of mod to it and if you make the body lower than the frame it is the first thing to scrape there are many options to getting your truck that low stance you could Z they frame do a stock floor bodydrop section your front crossmember and of coarse a Porterbuilt dropmembers or one of the other guys X members.
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote