The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Frijolito1988

57 SWB Chassis with IFS

Hey guys, so yesterday i saw an add on Craigslist i just couldn't pass up.

Its a 57 swb rolling chassis with a mustang II front clip and a camaro rear end . The front IFS is missing a few things. Now my question for you guys is if you can help me figure out what is left to complete this chassis. Ive had a few 67-72 but haven't played much with these 55-59 trucks the last one we had was a 59 apache but ended up selling it because we did not want to cut up the chassis to lower it, ride better ect, but now this chassis is prety much done .

Here are some pics
Frijolito1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Frijolito1988

Re: 57 SWB Chassis with IFS

Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
mr48chev

As far as I can tell it's missing the sprin
gs and shocks and then the calipers and caliper brackets.

I can't tell if the rotors have been swapped for the bigger rotors but think they have. The question then would be are the rotors good or just a pair they picked up and stuck on it to be able to roll it around.

It looks like a pretty decently done installation and uses the stock A arms along with the strut rod that has the bushing on the end that attaches it to the frame effectively turning the strut and lower control arm into an A arm. Someone no doubt will knock the Stock MII stuff but it was overbuilt from the get go and the upper ball joint is the same one as Mark IV's ran. I think I would want to get a sway bar for it though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Frijolito1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
As far as I can tell it's missing the sprin
gs and shocks and then the calipers and caliper brackets.

I can't tell if the rotors have been swapped for the bigger rotors but think they have. The question then would be are the rotors good or just a pair they picked up and stuck on it to be able to roll it around.

It looks like a pretty decently done installation and uses the stock A arms along with the strut rod that has the bushing on the end that attaches it to the frame effectively turning the strut and lower control arm into an A arm. Someone no doubt will knock the Stock MII stuff but it was overbuilt from the get go and the upper ball joint is the same one as Mark IV's ran. I think I would want to get a sway bar for it though.

So this does not use coils ? It uses Spring with gas shock down the middle ?

Who sells these individual parts ? and how can i know exactly what generation or year MUSTANG II i have ?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
55dude

question to ponder is why is it for sale? why isn't it complete? you need to figure out who made the m2 setup and do they still make it. ask tons of questions before you shell out the bucks.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Tomb23

Looks like the rear springs are SHOT also Not going to travel much with weight on them?

Rear Cross member missing also?
Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote