The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Hasselhof

Bad alternator or voltage regulator?

I've been trying to track down a parasitic draw with my '68 250. Was able to narrow it down to my alt using a multimeter. When I unplug the harness plug from the alt, the draw would go away. Alt bad? Is that possible? Voltage regulator maybe causing the draw, since that harness plug is leading straight to it? Is that possible?

After I jump the truck and let it run for a bit, I'm getting close to 14v at the battery, so the alt is charging. Just something is drawing with the truck shut down and sitting over night. That's also makes me think it's not the regulator.

Any recommendations for a part number to look up for a replacement alt if it is bad? I don't run anything major. Tiny amp hooked directly to an iPod, and some aux gauges. And I'm building an airside setup so a single viar 444c compressor. Nothing showey or fancy needed. Just to do the job unstrained.
Hasselhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
cool68

Re: Bad alternator or voltage regulator?

take alternator to parts store and have it checked. they should have a replacement. whatever parts store that you are going to check online for replacement alternator - could upgrade a little to a 65 amp.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
starterman99

Re: Bad alternator or voltage regulator?

IF you unplug the connecter shown above and draw goes away the contacts in regulator are stuck.there should be no power to alternator in those plug terminals with key off.