The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
ozkiwi

Quadrajet ignorance is not bliss.Help me out.

The throttle shaft is so worn its binding I could not get the motor to return to idle without fitting a heavier return spring.It is just to get me by until I decide what to to do about the carb in general.

Question 1:First pic.What does this do.Has a wire coming out the other side.
Whatever it does it is not doing it.

Question 2:What is 1 in the next pic?
2 is not connected to anything does it matter?
The hose arrowed 3 has a hole in it what effect does that have?

Question 4:Are the rebuilt ebay quads ok or should I buy a brand new carb.
Rebuilding my current carb is possible.I am ignorant of car carburettors and generally dislike working on cars/trucks in general (Motorcycles are my area) but the standard of workmanship from trades people here is generally crap and expensive.I am leaning towards brand new but will listen to advice given here.

Quoted $500-$600 to rebuild my Quad here.
Attached Images

ozkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Quadrajet ignorance is not bliss.Help me out.

First pic looks like an idle up solenoid for when A/C is on. Does your truck have A/C?

#1 and #3 have to do with cruise control - does your truck have cruise?

#2 appears to be a missing a hose. This would create a vacuum leak, which may cause it to run lean, draw dirty air, and potentially raise idle speed. If you can't find the missing hose, cap it.

If your Q-jet is original to your motor, it's probably better off rebuilding it - it would (theoretically) be jetted perfect for the application. An eBay Q-jet might be close, or not.

With a thorough cleaning, and new throttle shaft bushings installed, you can save yourself quite a bit of money by doing the rebuild yourself. They are not hard, just time consuming. Keep yourself WELL organized.

New bushings installed:

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
geezer#99

That plunger in your first pic is an idle stop solenoid. Used to increase your idle when your a/c kicks in.
SEcond pic.
#1 is your cruise control.
#2 is a vacuum leak if you don't put a cap on it.
#3 is vac to your cruise control pot. Replace the hose.
Instead of buying a rebuilt off evil bay just contact this guy for a custom carb.
http://www.smicarburetor.com/
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
mrolds88

After taking care of the things in your second picture, I would maybe look into a parts carb from over here if you don't feel confident bushing your base plate. I'm not as fond of the later qjets as I am of the early ones. Mainly due to some of the design changes. My first question is, how does it run other than the throttle shaft issue? I would say that if it runs out fine, I would look at just dong to work to the base plate. Whether that be bushing the shaft or replacing the base plate all together. Even down under $5-600 will get you a lot of stuff imported.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
ozkiwi

Truck has factory air and cruise control.
Runs like a champ now that I have replaced the fuel pump.It has been starving for fuel for almost a year but I thought it was the carb.
The idle kicker is just not set up properly but is working.It will be now I know what it is.Have capped the vacuum leak.
The cruise is not working but I should be able to work out why with a little effort.All this stuff was working before the new engine went in but now I am fixing it myself I realise that nobody gives a **** about my truck more than me.So many things have been messed up with the install of that motor.
I try to do everything myself now.
Wiil look for a parts carb and bush the base plate before pulling mine apart.Can't be off the road too long as it gets used a lot.

Last edited by ozkiwi; 02-27-2014 at 02:04 AM.
ozkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote