The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Anyone using fix-a-flat vs. spare?

Just wondered if anyone is using fix-a-flat kits ( like Wal-Mart's:>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Road...ingMethod=p13n <<) in place of carrying around often hard-to-replace flats--esp. when on rear where wheels are difficult to remove due to width, lowering, etc. If so, which ones do you find reliable and easy/effective to use?

I notice so many new cars no longer furnish real spares, but use something similar to the above example, which injects a sealant and inflates in a claimed 7 seconds, or so. Maybe beats calling tow service and allows you to get home where you can carefully R&R, plus avoid dragging onto tow trucks which potentially could do damage to the underneath.

I also like the idea of not 'revealing' the spare on the bed, along with at least one jack--often takes 2 diff.-operating jacks to remove/replace the tire&wheel on the rear.
Thanks for input: I wanna hear positives before I invest in one.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Anyone using fix-a-flat vs. spare?

They work well if you have a small, local defect (like a nail hole).

If you blow out the side wall, or bend a rim, you are calling someone to bring you a tire and floor jack (or a flatbed).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

I have a can of green slime, a plug kit, a small compressor, a credit card and a cell phone in every rig.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
HumphreyMurdoch

Personally, as a mechanic, not a fan of Fix-a-flat. Because it smells nasty and is kinda tough to clean out to repair the tire. But that's me shedding a tear about it.

But bought a new car for the wife last year and most new cars don't come with a spare. A bit ridiculous to me, but most all dealers offer a spare for cars, $25 for our Cruze. I would definitely choose a spare cause no matter what happens to your wheel/tire you can still throw that on and go about your business.

But the spare won't fit in your glovebox!!
HumphreyMurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
dbash

I have on board air in all my rigs and carry a tire patch kit. This system has kept me from having to call a tow truck, or remove a tire on a freeway, back road or trail for 15 years. I used to pack a portable viair pump but that was too easy to forget so now its one of the first things I have installed on anything I buy.

All of you that are running bags and pumps already only need a fitting, quick connect, small coil hose and a tire patch kit.

I don't recommend it but I have been able to carefully drive back to the tire shop with up to six plugs in one sidewall slice when a sharp rock has hooked them in the middle of BFE. I have four year old plugs in 42" super swampers that I continue to trust on the Rubicon too. Installed right plugs are a lifesaver.

2008 Dodge 3500 Blue Tech
2013 Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Landcruiser Rock Crawler LS1
1969 4X4 Resto Mod
dbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
LEEVON

We keep a plug kit and 12v compressors in our cars. They're like $20?
Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
ACK

Is the stuff they put in fix-a-flat still explosive? I remember articles about tires blowing up and sending shrapnel flying due to it being highly flammable.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

For the year or two I ran the truck without a bed cover, I left the spare/jack/lug wrench in the garage and relied on a can of Inflataspare in the glove box and a AAA card in my wallet. When the bed cover went back on, I went back to carrying a full size spare in the bed.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumphreyMurdoch View Post
Personally, as a mechanic, not a fan of Fix-a-flat. Because it smells nasty and is kinda tough to clean out to repair the tire. But that's me shedding a tear about it.
I've always wondered if using Fix-a-Flat just to get you home will affect the glue on a plug or worse, a patch/boot that you install later.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I've always wondered if using Fix-a-Flat just to get you home will affect the glue on a plug or worse, a patch/boot that you install later.
On the few times I have used the slime or fix a flat when out in the back country or late night interstate flat, I always have the tire dismounted, cleaned and patched from the inside the next week. I had 6 plugs and 2 cans in 1 tire once coming out of a trail and threw it away after the trip.

Working at a GM Dealership, I have scored a few of these and at the local wrecking yards for $20. They fit under the seat of the rigs and work well. You can use just the compressor or switch to the gooey slime repair canister if you have a flat.
Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBmnp_wDN4
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I still carry a spare, jack and lug wrench.. Works every time.

AAA never hurts either.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
3 On Da Tree

Do not use Fix-a-Flat for a long period.
I learned the hard way. Put new Firestone tires on my truck last Easter. Have ten year old Alum. Mag. wheels that started pitting at the beads. Tire shop ground them down the best they could.
After a week of the new tires on, I noticed one wheel had a slow leak so I put in the Fix-a-flat. Month later a shaking started and got worse. I thought maybe one of the balancing weights had fallen off. So I took it back to the Firestone store.
They opened up the wheel and called me over to ask what I had put in to the tire.
I said Fix a flat. They said your warranty is now void. And showed me why.
Inside the tire around the steel bead there was no rubber left, just pure steel showing. The lacquer based fix a flat was hungry and ate the rubber.
So a lesson learned after forking out another $175.00 for a new tire.

PS. there are three different names for the Fix a flat made by different company's.
3 On Da Tree is offline   Reply With Quote