The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Matt21lutz

Tractor & Implement Paint???????

So I was over at tractor supply the other day and noticed they sold tractor paint. kinda obvious. But was wondering if anyone has ever used it? I thought since it was tractor paint that it would a good paint, stand up to time and would be pretty durable. Also what should I thin it with? Paint thinner or something else? I have three gravity feed paint sprayers with regulator on my compressor (300 gal capacity) and have the breather.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Tractor & Implement Paint???????

I plan to use Zero Rust on my truck which is now going to be a 4x4. So I only care if it is one color, and won't scratch off too easily. Also they have quite a few nice colors I am interested in.

You can thin it with acetone or paint thinner, but many of these types of paint were designed to be rolled on too. They flash dry slower so they will self level quite a bit to a rough orange peel look.

You just have to test how much to thin them by as there is probably not much info out there.

There is a forum dedicated to people who rolled on Rustoleum, and have got quite awesome results. Typically they roll on a couple of light coats, and then color sand. Then a couple of more coats with sanding in between coats.

I saw a 1/2 done one on a beater 4x4, and it looked fine.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
D13

If you are making a mud truck and just want one color, the crappy obsolete technology tractor paint is fine. Gloss can be good but not usually. Fades in the sun. no 2 cans are the exact same color. Thin with naptha NOT thinner or it will never dry.

The stuff is OK for under the truck or on the blade of a snow plow Most of the tractor guys won't use it on tractors they care about.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
whitedog76

My dad restores old tractors. He's been using the Van Sickle line for years. I think Tractor supply sells Majic paint, basically the same stuff.

They have a hardener catalyst for their paint and I believe they now have clear coat.

For good adhesion, I'd use their primer.

All the paint is is just a single stage enamel. It's basically the same thing that Maaco uses and the same stuff you can buy at Autozone now.

A good paint job is 90% in the prep work.

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/index.html

http://www.majicpaints.com/products/farm/tti/
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote