The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
stepside4x4

1972 Chevy Resto questions/opinions wanted

Hey everyone. To start off with, I am new to working on chevys but not new to working on trucks in general.

So, my neighbor has a 72 Chevy 4x4, automatic, V8 (not sure what size yet) everything is all original, inside is immaculate, outside is decent considering the age/barn storage.

My main objective is to get this truck running and sell it to buy my dream project (78 GMC Stepside) The truck ran when parked but hasn't been started since.

So my questions are, whats a fair offer for the truck as its sits? Whats a fair selling price once I get it running and cleaned up. (Not restored but cleaned, drivable)? Also, what are some tips and prep work I should be aware of before cranking this baby for the first time? Besides the obvious (Fluids, etc)

Thanks everyone!
stepside4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
DBaker

Re: 1972 Chevy Resto questions/opinions wanted

Do some research on your local craigslist etc.. That will give you a better idea on value (a $2k truck in texas might be a $5k truck in viginia and vice versa)

I would inspect all the belts, hoses, fluids, put a battery on it and see what happens then you can really see whats goin on with it, check the brakes put it in gear just see what does or doesnt work. And try and get as much info from him as you can statements like" it ran great but smokes alot" will tell you alot.

I know its kind of basic advice but really thats the best way to learn about a new truck. Then when you discover something ask the members here and we can help. Good luck with it!
DBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
jeffahart

I would help my neighbor get it running so he/she could sell it. It will make you feel good. The Chevy Truck gods will deliver you a deal on that 78 you want.
jeffahart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
hugger6933

One of the car rags did a story a year or two back where they found a car in a barn 1200 miles from them threw some parts in the wagon headed out with some tools a and made crank up and come home. Do some searching on the net and you should be able to get some good ideas. The old show trucks did a show where he [Stacey]took this real old truck out of a field and cleaned up and changed the fluids and got it running. you might could find it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote