The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
cheyenne shortstep

Battery tray ID please.

I need a little help. I am a 67-72 guy and don't know much about Squares, I am doing some work on a 77 Blazer and the owner brought me these batt. trays. They don't seem to fit and I'm not certain they are for this era truck, can someone please get me on the right track. Any help will be appreciated.
By the way this is a Chalet K/5 with 39k real miles and is OG paint, tightest 4x4 I've ever driven.
Attached Images

cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
walkerb

Re: Battery tray ID please.

You need the 2 piece. Thats a 80's style. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Post some pics of the chalet.
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
tylervalo

One of those might be an auxiliary tray, I had an 85 that had 2 battery trays.
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
cheyenne shortstep

Thanks for the quick response. I just saw an 80's truck pull up next door and popped the hood, sure enough they were the same. I'm going to go to Ecology and hope to at least get one. What was the cutoff year for the correct tray for 77?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
mrolds88

Should be 80.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
...By the way this is a Chalet K/5 with 39k real miles and is OG paint, tightest 4x4 I've ever driven.
That was this one, correct? If so, it was Chalet #1741. Entertaining travel circuit it went on, first selling in Napa in 2011 for a bit under 8 grand, then off to other dealers in Chicago and Florida before ending up back in Oceanside, where the last seller I know of was asking around double what it was worth. It polished up nice, but still needed much work to get it back to original factory showroom condition, where the real collector value is at.

Former owner of Chalet #1747. Current caretaker of the very old BlazerChalet.com website.
77blazerchalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
cheyenne shortstep

That's the one. I replaced the core support, inner fenders [repop], battery trays, installed locking hubs [then he put the stockers back in cause he couldn't figure out the 4wd light on dash], had the brake booster rebuilt and put a new master cyl. on it along with some misc. detail. I just couldn't talk him into pulling the engine for a complete underhood detail. He was very proud of this truck.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
That's the one. ...couldn't talk him into pulling the engine for a complete underhood detail. He was very proud of this truck.
With good reason since it looked really nice from the start. Here's the archived ebay listing of it from 2011 a couple of years before the guy in Oceanside got it (Tim at Ghetto Choppers, I assume). The Glenview Illinois "Chicago Classic Cars" site had a listing up for it long after it was sold, but that site no longer works. One image from their listing still shows up in Google images here.
Former owner of Chalet #1747. Current caretaker of the very old BlazerChalet.com website.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
cheyenne shortstep

The Blazer/Chalet was VERY nice, the battery trays, core support and inner fenders were rusty due to leaking batteries. Otherwise it was completely rust free underneath. A true low miler that was highly original inside and out.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 AM   #10
77blazerchalet
former Chalet owner

True, it was quite clean. But ... original, not so much. That's were the work and expense would be, on removing the non-original stuff to make it factory original, such as the underside winch, the under-hood air compressor, the new radio / TV / stereo, all those snap do-dads around the perimeter of the camper above the cab line, and the toilet (with requisite re-building of the cabinet door). Original rally wheels and original cab seats would have to be found, and the biggest restoration problem would be commissioning a vinyl shop to get the camper stripes and rear door logo back on. That would cost a bundle to have it done right.

What the truck was when it was sold to the Napa CA dealer in 2011 was a rig nicely modded to be a more practical daily driver camper and its original value reflected that. Subsequent classic car dealers jacked up the price to a level that would have represented a museum-quality total restoration, without having done any of that work, that's what the buyers needed to beware of. Its cleanliness was a big plus compared to other barn finds I've seen, that was one expense that lots of guys prefer not to go through.