The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
lowlyfec10

sbc wont start-am i missing something

swapped a 86 350 in with new plugs, brand new edelbrock 600 with new filters and hoses. already had hei swap and ran with old motor and changed nothing but replaced the wire for the hei connector (previous owner hacked up wiring). i checked for spark last night and saw spark...not today (maybe bad contact or too bright to see?) but im going to retry once it gets dark again. i know i have fuel, brand new strong optima battery with new battery cables. only thing is i dont have the front end on the truck so the rest of the harness is loose and unattached. is there something im missing? i just wanted to hear this motor run for a second before i throw everything back together.

and when i put the distributor back in, the rotor faces the #1 coil roughly at the 0degree mark on the crank, and i put the wires on in order. so if i recheck when its dark and have spark, next step?
lowlyfec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
BluTrukker
BOHICA

Re: sbc wont start-am i missing something

When yo put the distributed back in, was the engine at TDC?
Old 03-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

First, did you note the position of the rotor button when you pulled the dist? If you did, and you haven't turned the engine, just put it back where it came out. Next, on the dist there are two wire terminals TACH and IGN. Make sure you have solid 12V at the ign term on the coil. HTH
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Daman

It shouldn't have to be dark to see spark from an HEI. Even with direct sunlight you should be able to hear it.

Pull power from distributor, pull #1 plug, stick your finger or a shop rag in the hole, turn it over until it blows out, check for TDC on balancer, move it if off, pull the cap and position #1 wire where rotor is facing, 18436572, add power back to distributor and fire then time
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #5
burnin oil

^^^
You can definatly see the spark during the day. When I need to rough time a motor I drop the dizzy in and wire it all up with the motor at TDC. Throw a timing light on #1 and give a quick twist of the dizzy housing until the timing light goes off. That will get it real close. With a dial back light I set it for 15* then twist the distributer.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Do you have the wire that went from the battery to the junction block on the inner fender connected to a hot source? I think it will have to be connected before it will start.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
burnin oil

^^
Good point. I removed that from my truck and hooked the feed to the starter like the newer trucks. I forgot all about that block.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote