The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
RShaips

Steering column turn signal help needed

It's always something! Yesterday while driving my Jimmy the steering column started to smoke. Took it apart and could see a purple wire melted. I thought I had done every job possible to these trucks but I have not done this one. Anyway got the turn signal assembly out in one piece sort of. It's in pretty bad shape. If I buy a new assembly how do I get the wires in and out of the column?
Wonder why the wire smoked? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Steering column turn signal help needed

I have been here and the upper shroud has to come off. All the post you can do searches about the turn switches and very very few even mention that the shroud does in fact come off. I even went so far as going in to the old closed up Chevy dealer digging around through his old shop books and finding that is what the General said as well and Kent Moore even made a special tool for it but I got by without it. If you look at the shroud real closely you can see the line where it is pressed on, and take a very shark pick or something equal and go around that line kinda cutting it and digging out the grime and dirt and gunk that has settled there over the years and then gently pry up on the upper lip in two opposite spots at the same time it may just pop right off.The OE switch had a flat connector and maybe a horse shoe plug afterwards. The flat will pull up through the column after the shroud is removed. To replace the shroud just line it up and tap it lightly with a wood block and a small hammer. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
RShaips

Are you talking about the cover underneath the column? I got that off and can move the wire around but I didn't see any flat connector, just the horseshoe connector, and it wont fit through the column. I will look closer at it today. Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
RShaips

I forgot to mention my column is a tilt. After looking at more posts it seems that I have to pretty much disassemble the complete column to get this plug in and out? Looks like a real pain!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
19GM71

Can you mark the wire locations in the curved plug on the new one and un-pin them, then push the wires through, then re-pin. To un-pin you would use a small pic or jewelers screw driver to release the keeper tab, then pull the wire and end out of the curved connector. Use the old one to as a guide first so as not to ruin your new one. Just a thought, never done this either. Just my .02
19GM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
RShaips

That was exactly what I was thinking about doing! Looks like the easiest way. Thanks
Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Follow your wires down the harness and see which one is burnt, the purple wire is the power for the turn signals and it may be because of a shorted wire in the rear harness.

If you have any problems with the install post in the electrical section and we will help.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Hawghauler

Remember when you pull the original wires out, tape a piece of twine to them and pull it through with the wires. Then when you have the new wires, tape them to the string and use the string to pull the new wires back through. Save you some misery.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
RShaips

The back blinkers worked and the front did not after this happened. I can't find anything that looks bad. I took this thing down to the frame and rebuilt it. Everything is pretty new or at least gone through. I will tie something to the wires when I pull them out. I went to NAPA today and the only one they could get must have been for a non tilt, did not look right. I think LMC and EBAY have them though. Thanks for the help.