The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Robert Haas

Arrow What is wrong with finishing our trucks?

I am new here so this is probably not sounding all that tolerant but it sure seems that if you take a 50 year old truck and put it on the road with 50 years of abuse showing on it. Rust and rot poking through the oxidized paint. General overall condition of stuff still in the wrecking yards. Yet these trucks seem to receive all kinds of adoration from the regulars on here.

Is this a forum of owners that actually want to see these trucks rescued from the crushers and father time, or is it more of a rat rod starter set.

I love a patina on a mechanically sound truck.

Finding knowledgeable folks that can not only identify and recognize some of the rarer models would leave most people thinking some real love exist here. If that is the case do you see a truck that is begging to be finished left to continue its decay a sad thing?

Every day more of these grand designs are becoming scrap metal.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
64 wedge

Re: What is wrong with finishing our trucks?

MONEY MONEY MONEY, If you got it, spend it. If you don't, drive it.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 wedge View Post
MONEY MONEY MONEY, If you got it, spend it. If you don't, drive it.
Fair enough. A very valid point. These trucks are still pretty affordable so building on a budget makes a lot of sense.

But what about the trucks sitting in the proverbial "Garage Majals" I see on here? Some owners have the means, but still prefer the rot>>>>
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
rideblue00

to each his own, i say!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Old Truck Man

I can only answer for me. Ive had vehicles that where restored and spent high dollar on them. You gotta worry about driving using them someone touching or sitting on them ect. It soon becomes a drag. Take it to a car show and let others point out all the faults and nit pick. I rescued about 100 trucks from the scrapper. Its loads of fun for me. I get great satisfaction waking up a zombie or It ran when I parked it that hasn't been of the road for years. I try and not invest a lot of dollars on body work & paint. And I drive them use them and eventually sell for a profit. I benefit. the buyer benefits in that they get a usable road worthy truck without the body flaws being hidden with body filler and shiny paint. Also In not that great of a body man. I dont have a modern paint booth. and I don't care to ruin my lungs breathing bondo and paint fumes. Hardly any full time body men live as to be as old as I am. And I shure as heck cant afford to pay a body shop high dollar to work on a beater. Its all good different strokes for different folks. One question If everyone in the world was blind would you care what your stuff looked like?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
1963c-10

Time and money seem to be the biggest factors I see. I rather see one sit in a field than be crushed. At least it has the opportunity to be restored or even used for parts. If its crushed...its gone.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
bonehead

I like 'em all... shiney or not... I think we all do.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
63MOUSE

i agree, money is a huge part of it. most people are on a budget of a certain number to spend, and most people spend that on bags, notching, etc. none left for paint. i personally agree with a paint job over bagging it. thats the way i spent my budget. i will bag it some day. at least i dont need to worry about a tetnis shot if i lean against my truck
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Lugnutz65

The direction a person goes with their truck depends on a lot of different variables. Some buy and sell their trucks more frequently than I pass gas. Others are bored unless it has a radical design change.
Others prefer to make it factory correct. I just want to have a classic truck that will be a safe daily driver. I'm doing a frame off just for the educational experience.

Short answer is that this forum has members who are on each end of the bell curve. I don't see anyone overly critical about what others do unless they are about to do or recommend something unsafe.

You will find people who share your ideals and opinions no matter which part of the spectrum you fall into. C'est la vie!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
ChrisDollins

Along with what everyone else has said I think that it's just doing something different. At every car show forever there has always been the pristine painted cars. These "patina'd" trucks and cars are just different and pose different obstacles when building to keep the look. Now there is a difference in patina and rot. I prefer a painted truck, but not a high dollar paint job. I like to drive and use and not worry about someone leaning on it. Most of the fun is in the conversations and enjoyment driving it. Just my out look on it.

Chris
Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
ultrahd4me

I will include my 2 cents worth here. I've had both, nice shinny custom paint trucks, and cheap ratty & rusted junk. I've had a whole lot more fun bouncing around in an old worn out, patina'd, slammed truck than ever had in a nice one. Plus with the current restoration cost running 20k plus, it not an option for most people. How many times have you seen someone take a fairly decent truck, get it home and start sanding off the old paint and patina, then spray bomb it with primer, later to relize the cost of painting it. I'm glad to see the old trucks on the road rather than in the backyard with a tarp over it because thay never had the money to finish it. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice truck with big billet wheels, slammed on air also.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
51 okie

I had a 51 patina truck and I fixed all the mechanicals, painted the motor and wheels with rattle can paint. Left all the scrapes and dings from all the years of it living on the farm or whatever it's life entailed. Hell it even had scrapes where horses chewed on it. I though it was great and every time I looked at those blemishes, I was there, where the young one ran into the fence, where the horse chewed on it, where the back bumper got caught on the gate post and bent. These trucks are part of American history and I enjoyed it. I entered several car shows and had just as many lookers and people coming up to me to look and talk about it as the polished trucks, even got a couple trophies. To each his own.

If I had bottomless pockets I'd have one of each, rusty and polished....many times over.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
flashed

I have 3 trucks ,one has been in the bodyshop for 3 years getting restored ,one is my 72 1 ton that is a little weathered ,and the 3rd one is my 60,000 mile 74 survivor barnfind daily driver .I had planned to daily drive the one with the frame off restoration but now its TOO nice ,so I think I will leave the other 2 alone so I can drive them as I please .I still plan to drive the other one but will have to be careful of where it goes as I spent a ton of $$$$$ on it . I like em all but I do like to drive them.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Robert Haas

I think there is quite a difference from a solid mechanically sound truck with some "use" on it, then a rusty, rolling road hazard that the owner embraces the horrid condition of.

Some of the coolest trucks on here have incredible thought and work put into them to make them start, stop and turn way better then it did brand new. They leave the exterior in a state of perpetual age. That is about as cool as it gets. It is also for all practical purposes finished.

My definition of finished is not a show built trailer queen, but a vehicle that is in a general condition of completed. Running gear, electrical and general usability at the point that the owner is done.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I had a great truck...it had more than a few holes. I drove it,...it was a truck.

I now have a better truck....it usta be chip free.....one year later it has dings, chips, scratches and rust spots. I drive it, its a truck.

I have had full up restorations. I never drove them. They were queens, too pretty to be driven.

Wanna be happy for the rest o yer life?

Then make an ugly woman yer truck.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
chevyrestoguy

I've had 'em both ways, ones with high end paint jobs and others with patina. The ones with the 15K paint jobs were too nice to drive, and when they got chipped or scratched, I would be completely devastated. It got to a point where it had to be perfect weather, no wind, no dust, and I had to be with it 100% of the time it was out. It wasn't any fun at all.

The patina'd trucks are like your favorite pair of Levis or a perfectly broken in baseball glove. You'll always want to drive it, regardless of the weather. You can walk away from it at a show, you can take it to the store, and you can lean on the fender with your belt buckle exposed. I love it.

But......I despise "Rat Rods". Vehicles that are purposely left in neglected condition, and where it always seems like in their circles, the rougher the better. I do not like seeing any of the drivetrain in neglected, rough condition.

I prefer having a perfectly restored chassis and drivetrain wrapped in a nicely patina'd body with the right wheels and tires and the perfect stance.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I've had 'em both ways, ones with high end paint jobs and others with patina. The ones with the 15K paint jobs were too nice to drive, and when they got chipped or scratched, I would be completely devastated. It got to a point where it had to be perfect weather, no wind, no dust, and I had to be with it 100% of the time it was out. It wasn't any fun at all.

The patina'd trucks are like your favorite pair of Levis or a perfectly broken in baseball glove. You'll always want to drive it, regardless of the weather. You can walk away from it at a show, you can take it to the store, and you can lean on the fender with your belt buckle exposed. I love it.

But......I despise "Rat Rods". Vehicles that are purposely left in neglected condition, and where it always seems like in their circles, the rougher the better. I do not like seeing any of the drivetrain in neglected, rough condition.

I prefer having a perfectly restored chassis and drivetrain wrapped in a nicely patina'd body with the right wheels and tires and the perfect stance.
Ya nailed it. I'm quiverin like a dog crappin bones. Ya nailed it!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I don’t think you’re going to find a specific answer to your original question. It’s very similar to all the discussions about which is best – long or short bed, step side or fleet side, big or small windows, slammed, jacked, or stock ride height, and new or traditional wheel choices. Some owners choose that build style because they prefer it, others do it because it’s popular, or because it isn’t popular anywhere else.

Over the years I’ve come to realize I spend most of my forum time on this site because I enjoy the shared enthusiasm for this series of trucks regardless of how they’re built. I tend to migrate toward the stuff I personally prefer, but I frequently spend great amounts of time looking through build threads that aren’t my style at all, simply for the enjoyment of experiencing some mad skills or witnessing new engineering concepts or welding talent.

If every truck on this forum showed up at a single show, I’d want to look at every one if for no other reason than to experience all the variety!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #19
Frizzle Fry

Markeb01 nailed it ^^^
Old 03-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
1963c-10

Well said Mark!!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I like them all but not a huge fan of the rat rod look but I dont scoff at any car truck or Ford. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and when you can appreciate the person and his/her effort, then you are in the sweet spot IMO.

I have never had a restored, high dollar anything and I dont really care to. I have had my truck 25 years and just love driving it whether it is a multi colored high pockets truck or a 4/5 lowered snake like it is now.

One thing I will attest to is, I like having the confidence that when I jump in it, it starts and drives and runs down the road well.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post

I agree with chevyresto , I like both, I have a nice one and another one I'm slowly going with the mechanically sound vintage, aged patina look. I'm an older guy, compared to most of the members probably, 59 to be exact but I just like these trucks and so do my boys, especially the patina ones.
From another perspective I took my wife to the fall Goodguys show last November and we also went to Dino's get down the night before and she was always attracted to the Patina cars and trucks. Out of no where at GG's on Saturday she says to me, so all we have to do is get the other pick up running well, seat recovered, etc;etc; and we're good to go and of course I say yes. So it looks like we will have a Patina truck in the future
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
T.W.Dustin

I have several old trucks. My '55 GMC is fresh out of paint and I am almost afraid to drive it on the dirt roads in Northern AZ where it lives. So I bought a '64 long step as my driver up there and I think it's my favorite of the 3. I do keep it up and have done some body work on it but I am not going to put a $10K paint job on it or it won't get much use either. I am also building a '64 short step for here in the Valley of the Sun where I spend most of my time. I will paint it myself with Summit hot rod flat paint. It will live outside 365 days of the year. So it's not getting a $10K paint job either but it will be straight and clean. I don't care for rust through or dents but paint that is faded is fine with me. Glad to see folks taking more of an interest in these year trucks I have always loved them.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
66Submarine

I guess I'm one of those guys you hate, lol!

The truck I'm driving now is a POS. I paid $600 for it, fixed the brakes etc., and started driving it. Recently swapped a "new" 250 six I got with some other stuff for very little money.

It's been very reliable, has pulled my other trucks back on trailers etc.; never has let me down yet.

It has rusted out cab corners, the hood is rusted out, one fender is pretty much destroyed, and it's painted with Rustoleum enamel I sprayed in January (actually didn't turn out bad, though!). I stuffed some plastic bags in the cab corners so I wouldn't freeze to death in the winter.

And you know what? It's a damn good truck. And I'm driving it everyday as my only vehicle, and fixing it as I go. I will eventually fix the cab corners and all that, but that in no way renders the truck unusable/unsafe. I have another POS truck that my father drove for years; again, it was always super dependable, and still is driveable if I need it for any reason.

A lot of guys going for the "frame off resto" thing lose interest/funds/time, etc. and the truck ends up never moving again under it's own power. All my crap drives!

Also, FYI, just because someone has a nice shop doesn't mean they have the all-important TIME to use it.

My straw penny.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
MikeS.

Patina isn't my thing but neither is show room only quality. Give me a decent paint job and a safe and reliable truck. That's what I'm building.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
Closed Thread