The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
OESMAN

Need Opinions

Thinking of going with a low mile LS2 out of a 2011 Caprice PPV. Comes with 6spd auto, computer front and rear independent suspension basically entire car minus the body. I just got done putting a C4 rear and just purchased front C4 cross member to convert the front of my 70 SWB... I am new to LS and am also worried about how to do the rear, looks like the same one used in newer Camaro. What would YOU do. I really want to move forward with the LS but want to hear from people who have been there and done that.

Thanks, OES
OESMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Need Opinions

Change the tailshaft on the trans to a yolk style instead of the g8 style (Which I assume it has). This goes to a normal u-joint style yolk, and you can just run it to a regular truck 12 bolt, unless you have a specific reason to want to actually convert the whole rear to IRS. If thats the case, you'd be going past what most of us do in the rear. I think Frizzlefry has an IRS truck that uses the vette rear suspension.

If you are using the rear end from the caprice, then you wouldn't need to switch the output...but you're locked into using that style of joint and shaft. Does the caprice rear track fit your truck? I don't have a clue what rear they are using.

(and its not actually an ls2, as it became the l77 when it got AFM and flexfuel and was used in the NA and CA cop cars). The base is the same tho.

To keep it simple; I'd use the truck style 6spd auto output and run it to a regular truck rear. Grab some headers that will fit (tbss and doug thorleys are popular, but you'll want to look at all of the header fitment threads). The wiring harnesses are decent to deal with if you get a premade one from a reputable company. Mines a gen III so its a few less wires, but overall the wiring only took an hour or two.

In terms of dealing with the 6spds and the gen IV wiring etc, take a look at Hart Rods build, as he went through everything getting his setup at the time.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
OESMAN

Thanks. I already converted my rear to C4 Corvette and planned to do the same to the front. I don't know maybe I should just stick with C4 front and rear and run my Caddy as planned..
Old 03-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I read it as, you did the front but hadn't done the rear yet...sooo
The c4 has a regular u-joint style yolk right? If thats the case, then to run the 6spd you would want to do as mentioned above, and switch the tailshaft to a truck-style which also uses the normal yolks, or just swap it for a truck 6spd.

Other than that, the engine would use the same mounts or adapter plates as any other ls swap, you'd just have to move or possibly modify the trans xmember to fit with the length of that trans.

There are a few extra challenges to running the super late model stuff, like whether or not you want to keep AFM, the kinds of gauges you can use, whether or not you need to run a bcm for certain functions etc.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
OESMAN

Other way around, did rear and have parts and cross member to do the front. I will hold off on going to LS till I know if I can mount my 472 with the new C4 cross member. Just looking at it I may have oil pan to cross member clearance issues..