The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
BrianG

Holes for taillight trim

I want to add the stainless trim to my fleetside bed tail/reverse lights. I have a copy of the "Factory Assembly Instruction Manual". In there it gives the correct size of holes and position from 'reference' lines. I have no idea how I'm supposed to locate the reference lines, so I'm assuming I need to find a hole first and go from there. I'm sure that some of you must have added these to a truck that didn't originally have them. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
hfd410

Re: Holes for taillight trim

Its not easy....I put the clips on the trim and held the trim in place while marking where they contacted the bed with a sharpie. Then drilled a small pilot hole and made sure they lined up. Took it slow and it worked out.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I want to add the stainless trim to my fleetside bed tail/reverse lights. I have a copy of the "Factory Assembly Instruction Manual". In there it gives the correct size of holes and position from 'reference' lines. I have no idea how I'm supposed to locate the reference lines, so I'm assuming I need to find a hole first and go from there. I'm sure that some of you must have added these to a truck that didn't originally have them. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brian.

The repo stuff is not stainless, it is really soft aluminum. If you breath on it you will bend it.... If you type "installing tail light trim" into the "Google" search box at the top of this page, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks,com", and click on the "Google" button you will find a lot of threads about it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
camrycurt

Factory installation calls for 2 screws and 4 clips, which I found to be way overkill for that little piece of trim. I ended up using the two screws and one or two clips on each piece and they're holding tight.

Just saying you may not need to drill all four holes for clips so you can save yourself some work. Good luck!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
Factory installation calls for 2 screws and 4 clips, which I found to be way overkill for that little piece of trim. I ended up using the two screws and one or two clips on each piece and they're holding tight.

Just saying you may not need to drill all four holes for clips so you can save yourself some work. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. It also calls for spacers that go with the screw. Anybody know if those are available, or did you just stack some small washers on the back side some how?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The repo stuff is not stainless, it is really soft aluminum. If you breath on it you will bend it.... If you type "installing tail light trim" into the "Google" search box at the top of this page, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks,com", and click on the "Google" button you will find a lot of threads about it.

LockDoc
I have a set of new GM trim pieces. They look to be the same as an old pretty good quality original set that I had from another truck. I'll try the search. That doesn't seem to work really well for me usually. I always do it just as you mentioned above, but like quite a few others have mentioned, the results are spotty. I'll admit it though, I didn't even try for this question. I've never seen it asked before.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I have a set of new GM trim pieces. They look to be the same as an old pretty good quality original set that I had from another truck. I'll try the search. That doesn't seem to work really well for me usually. I always do it just as you mentioned above, but like quite a few others have mentioned, the results are spotty. I'll admit it though, I didn't even try for this question. I've never seen it asked before.

They will still be aluminum instead of stainless but if they are original GM they will be a lot thicker.

Make sure you are using the search box that has the Google button on it, up at the top, not the one for the forums, and make sure you click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks,com"

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote