The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
Tdubbyount

Whoa...gotta love today's fuels.

Today my boss was frustrated with how his brand new motor was running. I told him i'd take a look at it, so we went for a short drive. The truck ran fine at idle, normal cruising speeds it ran flawlessly. But try to put it under a load, and it would fall on its face. We took it back to the shop, I played around with it for a little while, and stumbled upon this...

Front float bowl looks clean as a whistle. Rear smelled like the fuel had been in there since Jesus was a baby. Ill let the pics do the talking.
Attached Images

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Tdubbyount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Slammed84

Re: Whoa...gotta love today's fuels.

Why is just the rear fuel bowl in bad shape? God that sucks, I finally found a trustworthy gas station in my town that sells 100% 87 gas. Guess I'll have to make the drive to fill up when I need it.
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

And the news said fuel prices are going up due to the cost of ethanol going up. I have a simple solution for that,stop messing up our gas with that crap! Remind me why it's in there. Is it to reduce air pollution? Hmmm...doesn't anything you burn make air pollution? Ok...less air pollution? Well,it also gives less power(so more go peddle) and reduces mileage. So,at least in a truck that gets 15 or less mpg,the extra fuel you burn negates the 10% less gas you use nd the reduction in pollution. So,it doesn't stretch or oil reserves and now it only adds to the cost of the fuel...aside from all the mechanical issues that cost us consumers so much out of our pockets. It also caused the cost of feed to go up,which caused the cost of meat to go up (or farmers to make even less). That stuff is bad bad bad and the sooner it is admitted what a mistake it was to go with it the better

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Old Truck Man

The reason that the rear fuel bowl is the only bad one is simple. The rear fuel bowl on a holley only receives fresh gas when you open up the secondary,s of the four bbl. If you drive around and don't open it up that gas in the rear bowl goes stale. It turns to varnish & goo. The solution is to swap for a carter carb. a carter had fuel bowls that mount on each side. the bowls feed the primary & the secondary
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
jayoldschool

I would also suggest that another solution would be to not drive like a grandma every few trips. Italian tune up time!
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
cdowns

was the gas tank cleaned at the time of rebuild?
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Tdubbyount

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
was the gas tank cleaned at the time of rebuild?
Yup, we pulled both takes to put autometer senders in to match his gauge.

1957 Chevy long stepper...not sure what I'm doing with that one yet. Awaiting funds I suppose.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Tdubbyount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
I would also suggest that another solution would be to not drive like a grandma every few trips. Italian tune up time!
Yeah I told him to open her up every once in a while!! Hahaha. He won't have any problems with that now, his old motor was bone stock and burned a quart every 50 miles. His new one should make around 450+.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Old Truck Man

ma big block chev had a holley carb that the rearfuel bowl did the very same thing. Todays gas is so sorry it goes bad in a short time. I fixed mine with a carb change. pictured. Stale gas if you let something sit for a few months and then start it and run it a half hour or so. let it sit overnite and the varnish residue can cause the intake valve,s to stick to the guides. things like tractors, tillers, lawnmowers , motorcycles ect. that are put up for the winter need to be draned of all fuel. then started up and allowed to run until all the fuel left in the carb & fuel pump lines ect. is gone. Just last week I fixed a neighbors H farmall tractor. He started it up on last years fuel. Ran for a short time & shut it off. The next day It wouldn't start. I went and checked it out. Carb full of nasty gummy residue. cleaned carb and drained the fuel thank. Fresh gas and still no start. Pulled the valve cover and all 4 intake pushrods where off and slightly bent. ( its something ive seen happen several times reciently)Took a small hammer and tapped the intake valves open. they very slowly closed back up. sprayed the valve stems with liquid wrench kept tapping them down and got them all working freely. hammered the pushrods straight and installed them and it started immediately. I added a pint of outboard motor mixing oil to 5 gallons of gas also. The neighbor has been using his tractor every day working his garden with no problems thus far.
Attached Images

Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Finally pictures I can show my wife! Now she'll have to believe me when I drop the hammer and tell her "Honey, I'm just cleaning out the carb!"
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #11
Slammed84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
The reason that the rear fuel bowl is the only bad one is simple. The rear fuel bowl on a holley only receives fresh gas when you open up the secondary,s of the four bbl. If you drive around and don't open it up that gas in the rear bowl goes stale. It turns to varnish & goo. The solution is to swap for a carter carb. a carter had fuel bowls that mount on each side. the bowls feed the primary & the secondary
Yeah, that dawned on me about an hour after i posted that. I work nights and dont get enough sleep.in fact im at work right now, driving a bridge crane. But it doesn't run holley carbs.
Slammed84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

That sucks...Especially when your paying $4+ per gallon(in my parts) for 92 etholtane.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote