The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
47 Fasttoys

ABS worth the effort?

OK, so I've come to the ABS question. I will be using the complete chassis and drive train from a 2003 Silverado on my COE build. This truck has a good working ABS system on it. During the build I will be using the ECM but not the BCM (body control module). The truck does not have traction control or any type of stibility control system. I don't know enough about ABS to know which other support systems it may need to operate. If I deside it's to hard to keep (low prority) what needs to be done to just bypass it? Can I just keep the unit in place and not wire it up? I will not have the warning lights for ABS or Brakes anyway, so it comes down to what is envolved in keeping it in use or what is envolved in deleting it.
Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: ABS worth the effort?

I'd think that if you already had all the pieces and they worked it would be worth the effort to hook it up.

With that I'm not sure of what goes on on a GM system when you disconnect the anti lock portion of the brakes. Some systems like on Chrysler Mini vans of the early 90's are so integrated that you have to fully swap out the master cylinder/booster portion to have the brakes work right without the antilock hooked up.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
whitedog76

I'm actually looking to do just the opposite of what you are. I'm looking at adding an ABS system to an older truck.

The ABS system uses a seperate control module from the ECM/PCM. Usually it's mounted on top of the ABS motor/valve assembly. Some units pick up a signal from the ECM for the real wheels. They also have CAN connection for the dash-light and OBD plug.

Everything should operate just fine if you disable it. The ABS only kicks in if wheel slippage is detected.

If you never plan on using it, I would remove it altogether and re-route your brake lines accordingly. Be sure to keep your proportioning valve though.

You may have to have your ECM re-flashes to prevent trouble codes.

Here's a good article on ABS. It has a good wiring diagram at the end.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
_Ogre

imo... take it out. something else to break. chances are that you will end up relocating the booster and brake lines and would need to replumb that area anyway.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
msaintg

when I did my s10 swap, the ABS system was the size of a car battery and I could not find a place for it, so it is gone (it only worked on the front wheels anyway). On the full size chevys, the module is much smaller (hangs off of the master cylinder), so I would keep it if it fits your build.
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
G&R's57GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog76 View Post
Here's a good article on ABS. It has a good wiring diagram at the end.
Do you have the link for the article ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
whitedog76

This is a module off of an S10. It's nice and compact. I don't see where it would take up that much room. I was surprise by the fact that they use flex hose from the proportioning valve to the unit. From there, it just has 1 feed for the rears, and 2 for the front. Not that much more plumbing than one would do anyhow.

I'm assuming the trucks are similar. The unit that is mounted on the master cylinder is for the rear ABS and not the front, it shouldn't cause any more extra work at all. It's just inertia activated.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
47 Fasttoys

Well, from what I understand the ABS unit for the Silverado is mounted under the cab, mounted to the drivers side frame rail. It uses 2 flex lines going from the master cylinder. It also uses 4 wheel speed sensors. I know it does use inputs from the ECM but I'm not sure if it has a separate control module or not. I'm leaning towards removing it, but that will require additional line work and I need to figure out how the proportional valve plays with the control module. I may be better off just leaving it in place and just not hooking the electrical connectors up.

Rob
Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
whitedog76

I don't want to tell you what to do, it's your ride man.

My $.02 is that if it's already there and you're swapping the chassis, why not leave it? The only plumbing you'll have to do is from the master cylinder to the ABS module.

They actually only have 2 sensors on the front wheels and get the signal for the rear from the transmission.

So, here's an article on an ABS swap ito a 1st gen Camaro.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...ods/page2.html

Here's another link on ABS, not the one I wanted to send. My PDF won't go through. It' for a 97, believe it or not the ABS really hasn't changed since then. The control module just got smaller and faster.

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/gmc...bs-wiring.html

Last edited by whitedog76; 03-29-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
yossarian19

ABS isn't fully descriptive. What I mean here is that since it's inception, ABS has been implemented a bunch of different ways. Some with two wheel speed sensors & a trans output shaft sensor, some with four wheel sensors, etc. Most will have a separate module that plugs in to the ECM harness in my experience with Volvo & Toyota. Chevy may be doing it differently, but usually the ECM is the "master" module and all others plug in to it's harness somewhere.
ABS is nothing to be afraid of. I think it's worth keeping. If you are a halfway competent driver (and I trust that you are) it will have an uninteresting life - there's only been once where I really wished I had it in my Jeep, that in 7 years of mountain abuse, but since it's already there why not keep it for that "Oh, crap" moment?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
47 Fasttoys

Thanks for the feedback, I'm learning a lot here. So 3 sensors, 2 to the front hubs and 1 to the trans VSS. I wonder does a truck system use a yaw sensor? Also would it also use a sensor from the column for steering angle? My intent is to swap out the column for an early style tilt without the ign. switch on it. I'll be pulling the body off the donor in a 3 weeks so I can have a good idea of what will be involved. If its not major I'll keep it as I will be pulling a car trailer once or twice a month and it would be a nice option.
Rob
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
whitedog76

I believe there is an inertia sensor in the ABS module.