The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
redjroftx

My New to me 71

Hello all. I found a fixer upper. I would like to put it back as close to original as possible. I just have a couple of questions about the SPID codes on the glovebox lid.

1) The paint (1484AC) says white/dk green/white. Does that mean white cab, green middle, and white underneath?
2) Can anyone tell from the codes if this truck had upper and lower trim?
3) Was the interior black or did it match the green and white paint?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
redjroftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Re: My New to me 71

It would have had a white top, and white under the trim. It would have had only lower molding. The trim would have been black. Armrests, sun visors, door panels etc...

Welcome to the Forums.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
redjroftx

Thanks for the help on the paint and molding. The inside of the cab would have been white or green with black trim? I ask b/c I have found remnants of both colors inside the cab.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

Here is a link http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/71pic/71pic.html
One more http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...tion-kits.html
Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
redjroftx

Thanks for the useful links 463. And if I would have read the 1st reply more carefully, I would have realized the question in my 2nd post had been answered. I will now go and work on my truck.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjroftx View Post
...have a couple of questions about the SPID codes on the glovebox lid.

1) The paint (1484AC) says white/dk green/white. Does that mean white cab, green middle, and white underneath?
2) Can anyone tell from the codes if this truck had upper and lower trim?
3) Was the interior black or did it match the green and white paint?
Unfortunately jhwkns answer is probably incorrect. Suspect it is based on the common practice of going by the description alone. Descriptions are inconsistant and incomplete. Codes are your best reference.

The SPID clearly states the vehicle had the B85 belt (upper) 485 Deluxe Two-Tone paint.

The Deluxe Two-Tone paint required both upper and lower bodyside moldings and I am at a loss as to why it is not on the SPID. Probably just a typo, not unknown by any means. I'd be interested to know tthe plant and sequence number to cross check against other SPIDs.

The paint scheme he is thinking of (special two-ton) would code as 599 and was not available on pickups in 71-72.

The colors used with 485 were the 505 Dark Green (non-metallic) and 521 White. They were arranged in a white roof/ dark green body/white side panels/dark green lower body. The interior sheetmetal would be the 505 dark green as well.

The Custom Deluxe interior (Z62) was in your case (602) a basic black vinyl/cloth with a black rubber floor mat.

It also had the chromed front bumper and was built without a rear (they were optional and often added by the dealer as a step bumper). The mirrors were the tiny standards (near usless) often incorrectly called "sport mirrors".

Overall this was a very attractive truck when new, but will take a great deal of work to correct to a near stock configuration. The wiring is something that needs a lot of sorting and correction based on the pictures.
Also the correct cloth seat cover will need to be made up as a custom, you can't order it from any catalog that I am aware of.

Here are a couple of pictures of a 72 C/20 paint code 485 truck with the 601 black cloth as you have. The big basic difference is the truck door panels are flat on a 71 and 72's have a screw near the vent window frame on the inside.
Hope they give you some incentive and work well as a reference to help you understand. Brochures are helpful but often not clear indefinition. The packages from Heritage are very helpful but again require a knowledge to fully extract the information and apply it correctly.

There are links in my signature of manuals you can download to start with (clear paper manuals are so much nicer) along with decoders for the VIN and powertrain charts as well.

If you like the pictured truck I have several more pictures I can email directly if you want them including the SPID, just PM an email to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-01-2014 at 04:33 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

That is a nice truck Tim.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote