The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Donaldo

AD Radio

I have found a bunch of aftermarket radios that are supposed to fit in the original dash holes of the '47-53 trucks - has any tried any of these and are they decent at all ? I don't want to hide it or cut to fit, once or twice, but I would like some good sounds....
Speaker placement isn't a problem, big hollow sound deadened doors and tank space behind the seat is open.
thanks, Don
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: AD Radio

I've never seen any real feedback on them. I do know that a lot of guys are leaving the delete plate in place and hiding a regular radio/cd player in the glove box.

My setup is no help as I have a custom dash that started out in my 51 Mercury going in it minus the deco instrument panel that bit the dust when I was 19 and thought I was going to build a custom wood instrument panel with round gauges in the 51. It finally got another dash complete with stock instruments when i was in my 30's.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
whitedog76

I kind of like the hidden radio idea. Mount it under the seat, use a remote to control it. The actuall "hidden radio" is a rip off.
There's tons of marine and RV style radios that will allow you to use just a remote.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
TNACUSTOM

They have a radio that looks just like stock one but you can hook your Iphone to it I don't remember who makes it but you can fine it on the internet.
TNACUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
MARTINSR

This is what I use to have in my truck. I used a metal ice tray from a freezer with tabs welded to it to hold it to the back side of the dash. It had the hole cut in it for the face of the radio. This gave a nice rounded corner custom made look. I then hinged the stock speaker grille cutting off the ash tray back and welding the front of it to the speaker grille. It had magnets at the top to hold it shut. You simply pulled it open with the ash tray handle.

It worked well for me for years. Just an idea, I don't like the thought of having it out of reach while driving. With the new remote setups we have now it's a whole different story, you can have it about anywhere.

In my Rambler I modified the glove box "drawer" (Yes it's a drawer) to hold this cheapie little deck, it's working well for me. It's not to far over being the car is so small. But turning it on or off or volume is about I can do while driving, I can't be changing stations or anything but I was VERY limited in where it could go in this car, CRAZY limited. Never worked on a car as odd as this one before, I fought for weeks before I came up with the modifying the glove box drawer, which was cool because I had kept the one out of a parts car I had.

Made from this..

In my 65 Skylark I drove for years I had this set up. I like this the most. In this photo I am just holding it under the dash of my Gran Sport being the Skylark is long gone. But you get the idea.

The box was a street rod radio box and I made the lid. Got a few gauges from a car at the wreckers and cut the faces off of them, there you go, hidden stereo.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
mr48chev

That is slick Brian, the best part is that 99.9% of the people who look in the truck only think you have an extra gauge panel under the dash.

My idea on the "hidden" radio was just using a production aftermarket radio or even an oem like Brian's and hiding it out of sight, not using a hidden radio designed to be hidden.

A lot of guys now seem to be just buying a unit that they plug their smart phone or other portable device into and all you have or see is what ever connects to that.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Old Crow

Custom Autosound makes one(actually 3 models depending on features you want)that fits in the stock hole on the earlier trucks.
Nobody makes one for the '54-'55.1 that I know of. On my wife's panel I just have a cheapo setup hung under the dash for right now. My plan is for the Secretaudio setup later on.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Oh, and I forgot to show you the "hidden" part of the Rambler radio.
Yep, it's kinda funky, but it's a RAMBLER! LOL

What ever it takes so the sleezeballs can't see it.

Brian

Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Custom Autosound makes one(actually 3 models depending on features you want)that fits in the stock hole on the earlier trucks.
Nobody makes one for the '54-'55.1 that I know of. On my wife's panel I just have a cheapo setup hung under the dash for right now. My plan is for the Secretaudio setup later on.
i've only heard bad reports of custom auto sound.
(Nobody makes one for the '54-'55.1 that I know of.) go to www.retrosoundusa.com they have what you need.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
whitedog76

Break out your pocket book, here's one for the 54/55 trucks. Looks old, but is new.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...Chevrolet.html
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Donaldo

"" i've only heard bad reports of custom auto sound.""

Hearsay, or you've actually heard a bad radio ?

Specifics would be cool -
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #12
Old Crow

I'm a CA dealer and we've been installing them for 8 or 9 years. Haven't had one fail yet.
May not be the most powerful head unit out there, but if you want your music that loud, you'll be adding amps and sub-woofers and all that anyway.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
crossfire84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
"" i've only heard bad reports of custom auto sound.""

Hearsay, or you've actually heard a bad radio ?

Specifics would be cool -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
I'm a CA dealer and we've been installing them for 8 or 9 years. Haven't had one fail yet.
May not be the most powerful head unit out there, but if you want your music that loud, you'll be adding amps and sub-woofers and all that anyway.
Well, i've done a search on this site and most people say to stay away from them, bad service, units sound bad, and so on. I;m going to get mine from retrosound.
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #14
Donaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire84 View Post
Well, i've done a search on this site and most people say to stay away from them, bad service, units sound bad, and so on. I;m going to get mine from retrosound.
I too found mostly negatives about them, took some searching, seems "custom" is a bit of a popular search topic!!

It's a bummer that the 'stock appearance' options are so limiting and/or expensive.....

Starting to like the idea of putting a good stereo unit behind the hinged speaker grate.

thanks, Don
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
MARTINSR

I was talking to a guy here at the shop who came in to install and audio system in a customers car and he has done a bunch of hidden street rod installations. He gave me this stereo as a good choice with a remote.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TdfUxsm...=DST&XVVER=BBB

With this remote.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RUEM...lpine&skipvs=T

He said there were many others but this is the best bang for your buck.

Brian

Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #16
Donaldo

Thinking about mounting a stock late model GM truck stereo behind the speaker grill like MartinSR shared.

I have a couple, '96&'97, work trucks and those stereos seem to have decent radio receptions, some have a built in cd slot, lots of power and no bugs so far - 350,000 miles between the 2 trucks - just have to find a wiring harness and adapt....

thanks for all the good ideas :) Don