The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Baker819

Did I mess up my a-arms?

1969 C10. Spent over half it's life in a field or my back yard but some how the a-arms were slightly cross threaded when I took them apart. I guess it happened on the assembly line. Can't see why they would have taken it apart after that with such little wear. Either way it's there.

Than I had them blasted and was in a hurry and didn't protect the parts as much as I would normally. The blaster didn't protect them like I talked to the company about... and they used steel shot. Which made a crazy rough finish. I than painted them ( yeah smooth move)... a really smart guy at work told me the threads in the a arm looked more like straight ribs and probably helped like a lock washer would. I didn't give it much more thought. Tell now...

I spent 1.5 hours carefully scrapping and wire wheeling the paint out of the threads of one lower a-arm but it still doesn't bottom out. I feel like I should just junk them and start over. I deal with threads, tapping, drilling and all that good stuff all the time at work. And they just dont look right. My dad restores muscle cars for a living and he said if nothing else piece of mind is worth changing them out. Better than wrecking later...

What do you guys think?

Also I don't really have any vision of ever lowering the truck ( besides with a load in the bed ), should I go with Repops (like from LMC $660 ish + shipping ) or Porter Built A-arms kit (for $1100 + shipping)? I already have replacement ball joints and cross shafts for the stock arms.... which I could save for another build or sell (even painted them lol)

Also Porter Built says they can move the ball joint 1" forward to center the wheel in the opening. I never noticed it was off set... input? picture?

Sorry I know this is getting long. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input.
Baker819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Baker819

Re: Did I mess up my a-arms?

Been thinking it over more and more and I really don't want to spend a grand for a-arms. They are cool but they aren't going to do much for me but look good. Might go by the junk yard and see what I can't find. A little worried if they minorly bent from a wreck or some thing but we will see... they normally got a few at every junk yard around here. The closest one must crush 8 every year at least.

What do you guys think about junk yard a-arms?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
orngsikL

nothing wrong with junkyard arms. just rebuild em with new end caps and shafts if you want. ive seen some guys take the factory 67-72 arms and put the 73-87 shafts and bushings in them.
instagram -
@esso_c10
@projectpawpaw
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Baker819

were the later shafts and bushings better? I already have brand new replacements but still curious.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
michael bustamante

I thing theyre sealed and not zirked for greasing. (73+)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
steelhorse

The 73 and up use newer style rubber/poly bushings.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
Baker819

hmmm that's handy I guess. I wouldn't be interested but cool to know that you can do it.