The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
msaintg

parking brake lever

This brake lever came with my '47. I was wondering how many years came with this style brake lever. I haven't been able to find any info on this. My truck was missing the transmission cover, so I assume that is where it came through the floor.

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how I am going to install it back in my '47 now that it has the S10 drive train (and the parking brake cables coming along the drivers side of the frame). I have the rod that goes with it, but that's all. Any ideas? I'm sure Shannon has a bunch of them.
Attached Images

msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: parking brake lever

according to this table

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...resto/4885.htm

the hand brakes only came on 3800 and bigger trucks and mounted on the trans mission. The long rod probably connects to a bracket that pulls the two cables going into the backing plates.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
mr48chev

That was one of those distinguishing 1947 AD truck things along with the floor shift three speed http://www.cs.siena.edu/~lederman/tr...ignTrucks.html

In 1948 they went to the column shifter and the pedal over on the left side for the park brake. The one tons and above still had the park brake like that one bolted to the side of their four speeds.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #4
msaintg

thanks guys.
So what your saying is this thing might be valuable on ebay if I can't find a way to mount it, since only the 47 had it?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
47 Fasttoys

I have the same lever on my '46, and yes it can be adapted to your set-up. I had it mounted to my Lokar bracket for my Turbo 350 and now have it mounted to the current 700R4 bracket to the right side of the shifter. For mine, I used a third cable conecting the 2 E-brake cables and a half moon adjustable cable pull mounted to the end of the rod to pull the cable. I not sure if I have any pictures in China but I can take some in a couple of weeks if you have not figured it out by then. Just let me know.
Rob
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
mr48chev

Depending on what you use for a shifter you should be able to fab a bracket to mount it on. It might depend on the trans too though. I think If you look at photos of Lokar Or American shifters you can get some ideas.

Here is a link to the American shifter floor/trans mounted E brake handle. This is for ideas to mount yours only and not an endorsement for their products. You just have to figure out how to mount it solidly so it works right. http://www.americanshifter.com/catal...Brake-Kit-~-11

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
msaintg

thanks guys,
I have the 4L60E, column shift transmission (so this lever would be the only thing sticking up in the middle of the floor). don't know if that would look funny. I think I can figure out the mount. What I am puzzled on is routing it from the center over to the drivers side and then connecting it up to the S10 parking brake lines (which come half way up the cab)