The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2003, 08:25 PM   #1
short step

help/w vent window rubbers

does anyone have any tips on replacing the rubbers on the vent windows
short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #2
Wootdog

I just did it this weekend and it is a pain in the butt. If you don't need to replace them.... don't Wootdog
Wootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

Awww they aren't that bad.

Using a cut-off wheel remove the vent window pivot rivet, then remove the vent spring and locks. Pull the window out and away from your work area. Next, remove the weather stripping from the main window channel and drill out the 4 rivets holding the rear vent seal in place. With this removed you'll see the main rivets holding the vent window channel. Drill out ONLY the top 2 rivets then slightly bent the channel to the side (you'll know why in a minute). Using spray silicone, lube the channel and start working the new weather stipping in. Be warned, the curve is a tough one to get into place. With the rubber weatherstipping in place its time to set the rear vent seal in and rivet it into place. Make sure you install it in the correct direction. Now move the vent channel back into place and rivet it down (2).

I think I've done 6 sets of these so far using the rivet setting tool and factory rivets availible from Chevy Duty. Matter of fact, 4 of the sets were done using the same tool.
You'll need a good set of punches, drill bits, a solid and strong vise and a hammer.

When setting the rivets I place a punch in the vise and crank it down. Then with one arm I hold the vent window assembly in place (setting the head of the rivet onto the punch surface) then use the setting tool and hammer to crimp the rivet into place.

Once you have it back together, spray a rag with silicone spray and wipe the entire rubber surface that will contact the window. Install the vent window into place and adjust the spring tension. Using the same method as above, set the pivot rivet and your done.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:41 PM   #4
casey

Mine were not ripped so i soaked them in oil for a couple of days cleaned them off and they look awesome don't even leak, been that way for 2 yrs
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:42 AM   #5
short step

thanks for the help
short step is offline   Reply With Quote