The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
mopar250

5.3 swap coolant problems

Hey guys,
I have swapped a 5.3 into my 80 short bed and ran into a problem now that I have it running. Now that i've filled the cooling system, the engine won't take any coolant. When I start up and let it run for a while the temps on my guages get up around the 220 range and both radiator hoses are still cold. My gauge package is new but since the computer kicks the fans on at 180 or so I believe it that the engine is at 200 plus. I have a non stock radiator but i've only added about 2 gallon of antifreeze and looking around at capacities I need to be at 3.xxx. I assume its one of a couple things, either and air bubble or I possibly put the thermostat upside down? I started this whole crusade over a year ago so I don't really remember much about the thermostat other than I put a new one in. When warm I can turn the rad. cap and there is pressure in the system. Anyone have any good ideas to try?
Thanks!
mopar250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
TwinsSpeedShop

Re: 5.3 swap coolant problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar250 View Post
Hey guys,
I have swapped a 5.3 into my 80 short bed and ran into a problem now that I have it running. Now that i've filled the cooling system, the engine won't take any coolant. When I start up and let it run for a while the temps on my guages get up around the 220 range and both radiator hoses are still cold. My gauge package is new but since the computer kicks the fans on at 180 or so I believe it that the engine is at 200 plus. I have a non stock radiator but i've only added about 2 gallon of antifreeze and looking around at capacities I need to be at 3.xxx. I assume its one of a couple things, either and air bubble or I possibly put the thermostat upside down? I started this whole crusade over a year ago so I don't really remember much about the thermostat other than I put a new one in. When warm I can turn the rad. cap and there is pressure in the system. Anyone have any good ideas to try?
Thanks!
LS motors don't flow like old school motors and this means that you can't fill the radiator and let the motor take it in as it runs. I learned the hard way. You have to fill the block as well as the radiator to get it to flow and cool.. Have you done this?
TwinsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
kevmac

^^^. Did they same with my camaro. Pull the upper rad hose and pour it in
kevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
mopar250

Thanks for the tip guys I'm going to go give that a try. I am sure that's what it is because it for sure won't take any in now. Go figure I figured out the miles of wiring and thousand small details and just pouring in coolant gives me issues....
Old 04-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
truckdude239

Yea i put 4 and half gallons in my 71 with 4.8

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
mopar250

Ok I gave it a try adding coolant to the engine threw the radiator hose. I took the top hose off from the radiator and as soon as I added anything it just came right out of the radiator. Do I need to drain the system and try all over again? It seams strange that I add to the top of the engine and it flows out of the radiator? Almost like the engine is full? I tried both with the engine cold and running.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Are you sure the thermostats just not stuck?

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Angryman117

Sounds like a stuck thermostat to me. I filled mine just putting coolant in the radiator like normal and no problems here. Feel your heater lines they should heat up quick, see if your heater is putting out hot air. The upper and lower raidator hoses won't heat up until the thermostat opens.
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
mopar250

I will look into the thermostat next. I put a new one on before the engine went in but I guess that doesn't mean it's working properly. The upper and lower hoses are defiantly not warm but didnt check the heater hoses.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Houston Ben

I did the same as you Mopar. At first it wouldn't take, then once the engine was hit I started squeezing the lower hose and must have heated the thermo as it all of a sudden took the water. Been good since.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #11
mopar250

Little update, I got a new thermostat and replaced the coolant by having the truck up on jackstands in the front and poured the coolant in threw the top radiator hose. I think I've added much more coolant this time so i I'm very sure its in the motor this time. Will know tomorrow morning if I have success. Little to late to wake everyone up here at home.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

For general info, In LS based motors, the thermostat is the one of the lowest points in the cooling system ( rather than high like reg SBC) and the thermostat will block coolant from flowing into the the engine if you fill just through the radiator cap in a swap situation. . In the factory configuration (donor vehicle) the coolant system fills through plastic tank into the "wye" in the front heater hose (on the engine side of the thermostat) and fills the engine block first, then the radiator. If you don't have that wye, you have to manually fill both sides of the thermostat to get coolant into both radiator and engine block. In swaps, if you fill the radiator full and not the upper rad hose, youll think all is 'cool' till you start the engine and it will get HOT in a hurry!
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
mopar250

Success! I was able to fire the truck up this morning and within a few minuets had it up to 190 or so and it stayed right there. I could feel warm water in the upper and lower hoses. Chuck is right, the system is opposite of the normal SBC cooling system and when you think about it that way it makes perfect sense that the engine would need to be filled up first to allow the coolant to be drawn through.
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Awesome. fwiw, you can take a small torch and lightly heat the stat to get it to open with the truck off. You need to be careful to apply just enough heat, but in a pinch its nice to be able to manipulate.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
For general info, In LS based motors, the thermostat is the one of the lowest points in the cooling system ( rather than high like reg SBC) and the thermostat will block coolant from flowing into the the engine if you fill just through the radiator cap in a swap situation. . In the factory configuration (donor vehicle) the coolant system fills through plastic tank into the "wye" in the front heater hose (on the engine side of the thermostat) and fills the engine block first, then the radiator. If you don't have that wye, you have to manually fill both sides of the thermostat to get coolant into both radiator and engine block. In swaps, if you fill the radiator full and not the upper rad hose, youll think all is 'cool' till you start the engine and it will get HOT in a hurry!
As my truck has a heater hose fitting on the radiator (currently capped off) - would it make sense to add a wye between it and the front heater hose?
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IMO not really, unless that also ended up being a good place to put your steam-burp. (aka the high point on the steam line system). Once the system is full and pressurized, the Y doesn't serve much of a purpose, unless you drain your block regularly.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
79 big block

I'm glad I found this thread, I just tried to fill the radiator through the cap and had the same problem of no coolant in the motor. I'm about to go try this again.
79 big block is offline   Reply With Quote