The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Mator

Unhappy nothing when i turn the key

Okay guys. I need some help. Tried to fire the engine today, first time since the teardown. I installed a new hei harness and hopefully got it right. The first time I tried turning it over it made one revolution and stopped.. now I get nothing. I can jumper it from the starter and it will turn over. But nothing from the ignition. And yes the battery is charged. I ordered a new safety neutral switch but won't be in till tomorrow. It's the only thing I can think of. Any advice?

Last edited by Mator; 04-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: nothing when i turn the key

Probably will need a dc voltmeter to test it. If you don't have one, they're fairly inexpensive.

First thing I'd check is voltage to the distributor 12 volt wire with the ignition turned on. If you have it there, then it's internal to the HEI, maybe a module. If you don't, then you can work backwards to the ignition switch and check the battery voltage wire very carefully behind the ignition sw. I've seen them burned and/or loose.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mator View Post
Okay guys. I need some help. Tried to fire the engine today, first time since the teardown. I installed a new hei harness and hopefully got it right. The first time I tried turning it over it made one revolution and stopped.. now I get nothing. I can jumper it from the starter and it will turn over. But nothing from the ignition. And yes the battery is charged. I ordered a new safety neutral switch but won't be in till tomorrow. It's the only thing I can think of. Any advice?

Did you try blocking the wheels and putting it in neutral to see what it would do?

Did you unplug the connector from the neutral safety switch (two Purple wires) and put a jumper wire in it to see what it would do?

Is the wire connected from the + side battery terminal to the small junction block on the inner fender?

Just some ideas.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Mator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Did you try blocking the wheels and putting it in neutral to see what it would do?

Did you unplug the connector from the neutral safety switch (two Purple wires) and put a jumper wire in it to see what it would do?

Is the wire connected from the + side battery terminal to the small junction block on the inner fender?

Just some ideas.

LockDoc
I still have the driveline out. I tried pulling the neutral safety switch and aligning it again.
The jumper to the small junction block is installed.
The hei harness didn't come with instructions and it has two wires to one connected a yellow and pink and one dark blue wire with conector by itself. Do you know which goes to battery terminal on the dist.

Thanks for helping
Mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mator View Post
I still have the driveline out. I tried pulling the neutral safety switch and aligning it again.
The jumper to the small junction block is installed.
The hei harness didn't come with instructions and it has two wires to one connected a yellow and pink and one dark blue wire with conector by itself. Do you know which goes to battery terminal on the dist.

Thanks for helping

No idea what harness you have. Unplugging the connector I mentioned above from the NSS and inserting a jumper wire bypasses the NSS. I would try that.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote