The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Bone$

Truck weigh station what do they look at?

Hey guys,

Im so close to getting my truck registered with DMV but trying to be pro active on getting this done.
My next step is to take it to a CA verified weigh station. Ive called a few places and some say my truck needs to drive in on its own to get weighed and some say i can trailer it push it off and push it back on the trailer. My bed is not assembled and when i talked to the girl said she would need to note that on the paperwork. So i think im going to assemble the bed just to get it weighed.

Once again this is CA and being as DMV is screwed up as it is im trying to see if anybody has had any experience with this so i can be on top of anything they may look for or not.

I was told all they do is match the vin with paperwork and weigh it?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Truck weigh station what do they look at?

Check out these people. Most of the bigger truck stops have Cat Scales. They have certified weight tickets. I'm guessing that's all you need:
http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Old Truck Man

I drove truck for more than 40 years. I had a habit of avoiding weigh scales whenever I could. all the stories ive heard about weigh stations something bad was happening to the truck driver. Show up at the scales driving a 1 ton or larger truck and you better have a CDL, Health certificate & a log book and have logged a PTI vehicle inspection. and they just might go over your truck with a fine tooth comb and cite you for safety violations. Unless you really need a bigger truck stay away from anything larger than a 3/4 ton. I use a 3/4 ton and a gooseneck trailer and its exempt from the DOT. all they can do is weigh me and as long as im not over the weight listed on the sidewall of the tires im good to go. No logbook no health card or CDL required.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
whitedog76

What are you driving? I didn't know you had to have inpections on non-commercial trucks.

Is California different?

I drove 18 wheelers here in the Midwest, the DOT looked at brakes, brake lights, wipers, horns, leaking fluid, leaking exhaust, etc...

They did require inspections on 1 ton and larger trucks that hauled or towed trailers. Farmers and construction guys got hit on that stuff every once in awhile. Normally they only were concerned with big rigs.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
55dude

call a place that sell landscaping materials aka gravel pit they have scales. concrete plant could help.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I'm guessing he just needs a certified weight slip for the DMV's empty weight.
At first I was thinking like you guys.... what the....? I drove OTR for 12 years so I guess all us truckers think the same. Chicken Coops, arghhhh.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone$ View Post
Hey guys,

Im so close to getting my truck registered with DMV but trying to be pro active on getting this done.
My next step is to take it to a CA verified weigh station. Ive called a few places and some say my truck needs to drive in on its own to get weighed and some say i can trailer it push it off and push it back on the trailer. My bed is not assembled and when i talked to the girl said she would need to note that on the paperwork. So i think im going to assemble the bed just to get it weighed.

Once again this is CA and being as DMV is screwed up as it is im trying to see if anybody has had any experience with this so i can be on top of anything they may look for or not.

I was told all they do is match the vin with paperwork and weigh it?
I had to do the whole thing from the rotor to the tooter because I did not have pink slip. I'm also in Cali.

Here is what I did and it worked out fine for me.

1. Since I did not have a pink for the truck I had to have a vin verification. I found a mobile guy and he came out and did that. I took my vin verication to the weigh station with me.

2. Since a truck is a commercial vehicle I had to have it weighed. My truck was not together so I slapped it together. I had engine/trans, all sheetmetal installed, no glass or fluids, and no radiator. I towed it down to the weigh station (just find your nearest weigh station) and they gave me a certificate with no questions asked. I took the vin verification and the weigh certificate to the DMV and received my pink slip with no questions no issues at all. I just put the truck on non-operational.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Bone$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I had to do the whole thing from the rotor to the tooter because I did not have pink slip. I'm also in Cali.

Here is what I did and it worked out fine for me.

1. Since I did not have a pink for the truck I had to have a vin verification. I found a mobile guy and he came out and did that. I took my vin verication to the weigh station with me.

2. Since a truck is a commercial vehicle I had to have it weighed. My truck was not together so I slapped it together. I had engine/trans, all sheetmetal installed, no glass or fluids, and no radiator. I towed it down to the weigh station (just find your nearest weigh station) and they gave me a certificate with no questions asked. I took the vin verification and the weigh certificate to the DMV and received my pink slip with no questions no issues at all. I just put the truck on non-operational.

This is what i was looking for .. Right now i have the vin verified but dont have a motor in it will they look for that?

Me and my buddy dont want to start my project till all the paperwork is done.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
imjeff

The whole point of the inspection when I lived in CA was to get a weight (so they can scale charge you tonnage) and to verify VIN. It used to be CHP Commercial Vehicle Inspectors that verified the VIN. If you aren't commercial you do not need a log book or any other of the CDL (Commercial Driver's License) requirements, one ton or not. They were pretty low key when I did it. It was like a collateral duty they did between their regular inspections similar to inspecting a home built trailer.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I bought my K30 in Nevada, when I went to weigh it I took just enough fuel to get there and back. The scales fill out a DMV form. That's why they said it had to drive. You want a bed or they'll call it a cab and chassis. The registration fees are based on the unladen weight. You might find a scale that would say it's complete if it doesn't run but make sure it's a dmv certified scale

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Check out these people. Most of the bigger truck stops have Cat Scales. They have certified weight tickets. I'm guessing that's all you need:
http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
I was going to say exactly what he said. Find a truck stop with a CAT scales or other certified scales. If the truck runs and drives park the tow rig and trailer out of the way of everyone and after talking to the guys who will be weighing it wheel it around and on the scales when they signal you to. Usually you park it on the scales and get out and off the scales to take your weight off. They will weigh it and after you pay them a fee (usually under 10 dollars) they hand you a certified weight slip an you climb back in the truck and wheel back around and back on the trailer and answer the questions of the lookie loos while tying it down. and then off towards home again.

Most want them to run so it doesn't tie up things with you pushing the truck on and off the scales but I don't see you couldn't wheel around with the truck on a tow strap behind another truck or car roll on the scales, weigh it and tow it off the scales. That depends on the people operating the scales as all they are going to give you is the certified weight slip. Then load it on the trailer and go get the vin matched where you need to have that done. If they want to know if it runs bust the engine off on thew trailer and call it good.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Bone$

I live in a smaller town and found a Feed Store that has a scale and is certified . I hope that i get the good ole boy treatment but wanted to be prepared for anything that i can.

Thanks guys for all the info...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Highsider

Good luck Bones.
We know CA can be a bit persnickety.

Oh, and if you don't mind, a report on the results.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
mr48chev

I used the local feed store to weigh my salboat trailer here and the weight slip was accepted fine. The more professional looking their weight slip the better though.

63&64 Bowtie and I were thinking the same thing Along with being rather easy to find in areas of high truck traffic Cat scales are universally accepted as correct scales and their weight slips are usually highly professional in appearance.

Don't go to the state patrol scales on the side of the highway though. I think that was your original thought and that won't work unless the patrolman is your relative or bud.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Bones my truck was not running, but I did have a engine and trans installed for mockup. I went to one of those simi truck scales. No problems. Also I deal with AAA and not DMV I have been given some nutty info from DMV clerks. I would call the DMV and find out what I need and go to the DMV office and the clerks would not know their own procedures.lol I would tell them what the office told me and they would get this blank look. I only deal with AAA now.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Bone$

Just wanted to update...

I took my truck in this morning to get weighed.
Unloaded it from the trailer walked inside and said i need to get my truck weighed. the girl charged me $10 walked outside looked at my paperwork wrote some basic info down on a slip. My 54gmc weighed in at 2100 lbs. She signed it and said have a nice day.

So now off to DMV next week to get my Registration ...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
mr48chev

It seems from all I have read on different forums that AAA is the way to go in California. They don't have much presence up here though. In Washington they are good for travel plans and roadside assistance. One of my former students has worked for them for over 30 years as a travel agent here but they don't do anything with car registrations or titles here.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.