The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
TommyC

New Member, and Preliminary Project Plans.

Good afternoon everyone. I stumbled across this forum as I was drumming up plans for a project 'car' in the very near future. Thinking for a while on what I really wanted to make, I finally decided on a '63-ish Chevrolet C10 Stepside. The reason I chose such was that is what my Grandpa used to have when I was a kid, and unfortunately when he had gotten rid of it... well... I was too young to know any better to ask for it!

Toughest decision seems to be the first decision... Get a used Truck with low rust and tear it down and start from scratch... or find a good new Rolling Chassis (Complete Frame and Suspension). The reason I have been leaning towards the second of them two options is that I work for a Class 1 Railroad, and frankly, time is far more scarce than money. And I would like to see the truck become a reality. The problem I have is, I see a LOT of Chassis Shops that make Frame/Suspension setups for the 47-53 range, but rarely the early 60's era trucks. If anyone has any sources, feel free to guide me, for either good used truck, or new rolling chassis.

Anyway, just a 'hello' and the basics for the start of my project plans.

Tom
TommyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: New Member, and Preliminary Project Plans.

Which Railroad do you work for? I hope to get a job with BNSF Railroad. Could we get some pictures of the truck? And welcome aboard!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
donthekawguy

Welcome aboard! My dad, uncle and grandfather all worked for BNSF for 40 years so I know what you mean about no time and plenty of money. lol You should look around and find a driver for as cheap as you can get one and then get used to it. Time is the factor when your tearing it down but when you start putting it together is where the money issue comes in. The frames on these trucks seem to be strong enough for most power applications. You could always box a stock frame and it would be enough for handeling and power issues and would save a ton of money. Custom frames run around 6-8K and you could have just as strong a frame for maybe 700 worth of plate if you can weld it in yourself. The suspesion options are almost limitless and you will just have to decide from all the options what you want and or need. As for the truck itself you should look around on Craigslist for trucks that your willing to drive for and if you find nothing start looking on a lot of the west coast areas and have it shipped. Up here in the spokane area a lot of nice trucks pop up all the time and should only be around 600 or so to ship. Anyway, good luck with the search and when you find your truck make sure you post a lot of pics!

Last edited by donthekawguy; 04-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.
donthekawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
donthekawguy

A little spendy http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4397049739.html

Not a step side but big back window http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/4398457569.html

Just a couple to let you know what you getting into.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum Tom

I don't know of anyone that produces a complete new rolling chassis for the '63-'66 trucks, short of paying a reputable shop to rebuild your original frame. There really is nothing wrong with the original '63-'66 frames. If you are wanting an updates suspension and brakes, I would look into the components offered by Porterbuilt. I don't know for certain, but Porterbuilt make be able to build your compete rolling chassis. It might be worth a call or an email.

http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/

There are a few buildr in the 'Projects and Builds' section of the '60-'66 forum that are using Porterbuilt components. One of them that I can think of is 'Durgs Black 66'
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
TommyC

I work for the BNSF, and sure enough, right after I posted, the phone rang! Just got in to the hotel.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may very well start with a good used truck, just thought how much time and work I'd save finding a new rolling chassis with suspension and brake mods ready to go. I see them for '53 Chevy trucks, but only found one shop that even listed 60-66 Truck Frames.

From my standpoint, welding is my one weakness due to lack of experience, but modding in general is not. I had modded pretty heavily a 2000 Monte SS at one point as much as one could be without Stroker or Boosting it. I look forward to building a truck, and you can bet there'll be photos once I pick out my subject!

Tom
TommyC is offline   Reply With Quote