The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
ssuesens

Gas fumes in cab

Recently acquired a '71 C10 Custom with the gas tank behind the seat. There is a relatively strong gasoline odor in the cab which I obviously want to get fixed IMMEDIATELY! Upon inspection I found old, tired out silicone caulking between the filler neck and the tank. I believe this is the source of the vapor leak. Aside from removing tank and filler neck to have it professionally soldered or braised, it there a product (better than silicone) which I could use to seal the area? I'm thinking something similar to JBWeld or MarineTex but must not be gas permeable.

Thanks!!!
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Sillyoldman

Re: Gas fumes in cab

Check both the filler neck and the sending unit gasket. My '71 always use to stink if I filled the tank all of the way. Lucky for me I cant afford to. Make sure you have a vented gas cap so you are replacing the cheap stuff first.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Scottcoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuesens View Post
Recently acquired a '71 C10 Custom with the gas tank behind the seat. There is a relatively strong gasoline odor in the cab which I obviously want to get fixed IMMEDIATELY! Upon inspection I found old, tired out silicone caulking between the filler neck and the tank. I believe this is the source of the vapor leak. Aside from removing tank and filler neck to have it professionally soldered or braised, it there a product (better than silicone) which I could use to seal the area? I'm thinking something similar to JBWeld or MarineTex but must not be gas permeable.

Thanks!!!
When I first got my truck I had a gas leak as well.. nothing really worked to seal it up and stop the fumes... then i I found out how inexpensive it is to have a new spectre tank shipped to the house. It gave me excuse to replace the fuel lines, sending unit and carpet.. the spectre tank from Rockauto shipped to texas with a 5% discount is $177.78 .. not a bad price for peace of mind of a fresh new tank, Rockauto does offer a few other cheaper tanks but after some research I found that most tanks are made overseas, Spectre tanks are made in canada and fit my truck perfect.. worth the few extra bucks in my book... good luck
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
bonehead

Mine smelled until I put sealer on the sending unit screws as well. The gasket sealed, but the screws weeped... No smell now. Worked for me.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
CST10

Mine had the sending unit gasket/or ing leaking. Replaced it and the retainer ring. Problem was solved. But I failed to realize the PO before had used a non vented cap so it started back up leaking again. Replaced the cap and the sending unit quit leaking. Seems fine now. Been about 3 months without any more issues.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
harry

my 71 had a strong smell of fuel when I purchased it so I pulled the tank out and found heaps of pin holes in the bottom of tank. Had just started to rust through so replaced with a new one and problem solved
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 AM   #7
nolimitssjca

I'm glad to see this thread. I ordered a new seal a couple of weeks ago. No I have some other things to look at while I'm working on this.
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote